Quantcast

Thread: MegaSD CD test with Mars 32x? Anyone test it?

Media MegaSD CD test with Mars 32x? Anyone test it?

https://shop.terraonion.com/en/produ...cartridge.html

This tested with 32x yet? Wondering if this can be plugged into expansion plug of the core (Genesis or Megadrive) with custom assembled cable. The cartridge pins are shared with expansion plug. I don't have money to test but unfortunately it sounds too similar to Everdrive (starts up from fpga Ram). I'm concerned how it would react to an extension RAM cartridge as well (or backup RAM cartridge for that matter).

#1 who calls the 32X the Mars 32X? Should it at least be Sega Genesis Mega Drive Marz Super 32X Hyper Console?

#2 it doesn't run CD games with a 32X attached unless you have a dongle which isn't for sale yet.

Nevermind what I said previously, this looks to be useful for Mars CD developers. It seems more genuine than anything else and not really like the everdrive. It does use its own loader but considering it starts up CD images, it sounds like it can startup anyone else's program (e.g. custom i.p. s.p. bootstrap).

The real question is whether or not it can damage other hardware like 32x, backup RAM cart, extension RAM cart, and any other hardware (e.g. mouse, keyboard, ethernet, CPUs, etc).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    #1 who calls the 32X the Mars 32X? Should it at least be Sega Genesis Mega Drive Marz Super 32X Hyper Console?
    Mars is the name of the hardware package and project. It's an incomplete machine for existing users of Genesis with or without SegaCD. 32X is a marketing name probably from NeXtSTep and Sega's partnership, hence the single letter X (like CDX).

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Redifer View Post
    #2 it doesn't run CD games with a 32X attached unless you have a dongle which isn't for sale yet.
    It's necessary to know if the device works with a D.I.Y. dongle or cable.

edit:
    Wow after some updates this might even be worse than everdrive...?!
    Last edited by vexatious; 03-17-2020 at 03:36 PM.

"Broken" (signature says: "Todd of Terraonion") from shmups.system11.org said (06-22-2019):
    Code:
    Considering the different variations in laser mechanisms between the Model 1 and Model 2 CD units , and then all the variations between the different all-in-one units, I don't see how just replacing the drive is remotely reasonable. Unless you guys like the idea of 6 different ODE models.

We wanted an add-on that could play as many different formats as possible on as many different machines as possible. So the cartridge slot made the most sense. 

For anyone really upset about the 32X compatibility caveats, we will introduce the side expansion adapter. Then you can just park the MegaSD on the side of your Genesis or Mega Drive console and still have full CD and 32X CD compatibility even with a 32X attached.

However, that side expansion port has it's own limitations: no SMS game support and no cartridge rom loading of any kind for either Genesis/Mega Drive or 32X due to the addressing on that port, the maximum rom size is something like 256kb (don't recall the exact size) effectively making it useless. So we disabled rom loading from the side expansion port because of that.

No matter how you approach this there are compromises to be made. So we picked the format that gave us the greatest compatibility and game support.
    That's awful support. What's the holdup with the side expansion adapter? Who would buy the Terraonion SD just to have a handicapped machine...? Who cares about the SMS compatibility anyway? How does this help anyone develop quality programs for Mars CD, let-alone core cd?

It's just a simple scsi drive, but even the Dreamcast doesn't have this awful support... More problems for me I guess.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

The quickest way to discourage the few people who can help you, as well as kill interest in your project(s), is to insist on calling something by the wrong name.

Quality 32X CD programs is an oxymoron as 32X CD software is severely gimped compared to cart/rom projects.

There are millions of diehard Sega Master System fans around the world. There is likely no more than hundreds of people serious enough about the 32X to be described as "fans" and only a single documented case of a Sega Mars fan.

Current Dreamcast ODE options won't come close to TerraOnion quality for probably another decade or two.

TerraOnion did not develop, manufacture or sell the Sega/Mega-CD. You need to develop a quality time machine so you can ask 1992 Sega for help developing Sega CD software. Make sure you bring along at least $100,000 in <1991 cash money for a dev kit and license.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Quote Originally Posted by vexatious View Post
    "Broken" (signature says: "Todd of Terraonion") from shmups.system11.org said (06-22-2019):
    Code:
    Considering the different variations in laser mechanisms between the Model 1 and Model 2 CD units , and then all the variations between the different all-in-one units, I don't see how just replacing the drive is remotely reasonable. Unless you guys like the idea of 6 different ODE models.

We wanted an add-on that could play as many different formats as possible on as many different machines as possible. So the cartridge slot made the most sense. 

For anyone really upset about the 32X compatibility caveats, we will introduce the side expansion adapter. Then you can just park the MegaSD on the side of your Genesis or Mega Drive console and still have full CD and 32X CD compatibility even with a 32X attached.

However, that side expansion port has it's own limitations: no SMS game support and no cartridge rom loading of any kind for either Genesis/Mega Drive or 32X due to the addressing on that port, the maximum rom size is something like 256kb (don't recall the exact size) effectively making it useless. So we disabled rom loading from the side expansion port because of that.

No matter how you approach this there are compromises to be made. So we picked the format that gave us the greatest compatibility and game support.
    Seems you're just trying to pointscore over a pretty pointless issue. 1) Lots of us care for the Master system games and 2) The Mega CD 32X CD games are pretty much pointless and nothing new at all and just a handful of games .
    Honestly I actually rather the original Mega CD version of Night Trap. I don't like the partly reshot intro (replacing the Mega Drive joypad) and the 32X FMV window is hardly a massive improvement

The Mega SD is a fantasic product
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Honestly I actually rather the original Mega CD version of Night Trap. I don't like the partly reshot intro (replacing the Mega Drive joypad) and the 32X FMV window is hardly a massive improvement
    Seriously? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MfFJS8hJMc
    I think it's a pretty big difference. Larger window, no funky dither, no nasty blocking artifacts.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Seriously? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MfFJS8hJMc
    I think it's a pretty big difference. Larger window, no funky dither, no nasty blocking artifacts.
    Yes , really . I much rather the use of the Sega Pad and the team being called the SEGA Control Attack Team and I wasn't really that much impressed with the Full motion video on the 32X.

Ok it's a lot of nostalgia talking too
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Yes , really . I much rather the use of the Sega Pad and the team being called the SEGA Control Attack Team and I wasn't really that much impressed with the Full motion video on the 32X.

Ok it's a lot of nostalgia talking too
    I mean, I can see if it's a nostalgia thing haha. I'm impressed with the 3DO version's quality though. It's not just better color-wise, but looks like it comes from a complete different source (it doesn't; it's all shot on video not film).

Yes, I agree the 3DO version looks great .. I miss the 'Braking Contact' and the Wire being pulled from the Mega Drive pad mind ..
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information