Quantcast

Page 27 of 27 FirstFirst ... 172324252627

Thread: Was the N64 strategy the best way for Sega to return to the market? (Hypothetically)

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

It probably has to do with the 3D effect as well. Sort of like a View Finder.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Is there any known particular reason Sega went with Samsung for the SVP chip? I'm pretty sure it was very uncommon in the 90s for a Japanese company to use a Korean company's components in international products. Samsung was Sega's manufacturer and distributor for the Korean market, but that doesn't seem incredibly relevant.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

I mean, it could have been relevant, there was already a business connection after all.

Also if Virtua Racing is anything to go by, when the SVP actually works it does work great and makes the SuperFX look pretty bad in comparison — not sure if the final SVP was anywhere as defective as the prototypes, tho. Though admittedly they could have also gone with the TMS340x0 DSP instead as well, which was commonly used as a GPU in 3D arcade games in the early '90s, as well as some early 3D cards for PC. No idea how much that'd have costed tho (in particular, a large part of the reason why TMS340x0 lost out to fixed pipeline GPUs back then was the added cost of memory to hold the program, which was separate from the memory used to actually render graphics).

Bumping this thread to bring back up the Virtual Boy sound chip mention from last page… Do not use VB Wario Land as reference. Holy shit, that game has like four basic waveforms (not even anything fancy) used through the whole game? WTF? (no, seriously, it's that basic) Were these tracks originally made for Game Boy and ported over or what?

For the record, since the video linked as an example in this thread seems to be missing the drums: Virtual Boy has six sound channels but the last one is noise rather than wavetable (while PCE has six channels that are all wavetable). I'm going to guess that the drum channel went missing during the conversion and not redone with noise?

EDIT: Jack Bros does it better.

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Bumping this thread to bring back up the Virtual Boy sound chip mention from last page… Do not use VB Wario Land as reference. Holy shit, that game has like four basic waveforms (not even anything fancy) used through the whole game? WTF? (no, seriously, it's that basic) Were these tracks originally made for Game Boy and ported over or what?

For the record, since the video linked as an example in this thread seems to be missing the drums: Virtual Boy has six sound channels but the last one is noise rather than wavetable (while PCE has six channels that are all wavetable). I'm going to guess that the drum channel went missing during the conversion and not redone with noise?

EDIT: Jack Bros does it better.
    Sounds more like Konami's SCC than PC Engine, which is nice.

I'm going to download that soundtrack and however many more recordings I can fjnd from Virtual Boy games with good music.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

I mean, it could have been relevant, there was already a business connection after all.

Also if Virtua Racing is anything to go by, when the SVP actually works it does work great and makes the SuperFX look pretty bad in comparison — not sure if the final SVP was anywhere as defective as the prototypes, tho. Though admittedly they could have also gone with the TMS340x0 DSP instead as well, which was commonly used as a GPU in 3D arcade games in the early '90s, as well as some early 3D cards for PC. No idea how much that'd have costed tho (in particular, a large part of the reason why TMS340x0 lost out to fixed pipeline GPUs back then was the added cost of memory to hold the program, which was separate from the memory used to actually render graphics).
    How much was the DSP chip used in the Atari Falcon, could SEGA have used that instead ?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

i think we're more likely to see SNK make a new console

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    i think we're more likely to see SNK make a new console
    Periodically SNK will claim they are developing new hardware. The fanboys (me being one of them) get excited for a few days until it turns out to be yet another emulator with their games from the 90s.

There is this however:
    https://exa.ac/en/?v=0f177369a3b7

HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNG Raging in the Streets Moirai's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    Periodically SNK will claim they are developing new hardware. The fanboys (me being one of them) get excited for a few days until it turns out to be yet another emulator with their games from the 90s.

There is this however:
    i remember hearing rumors about exa arcadia a long-ish time ago. i had no idea the thing was actually real. anyone here actually played this thing? What makes it worth 5000 dollars!??!

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Moirai View Post
    i remember hearing rumors about exa arcadia a long-ish time ago. i had no idea the thing was actually real. anyone here actually played this thing? What makes it worth 5000 dollars!??!
    I haven't seen one in the wild but I wish I could, I can't believe we finally have a new version of Gimmick and it's on a platform nobody owns. Base price is like $3500 but you're right it comes out to like $5000 as soon as you add one game. Even with inflation a Neo Geo was not this expensive 30 years ago. If they sold a home version for like 1/3 the price maybe that would be interesting.

They're meant for use in actual arcade cabinets and priced accordingly :​P (you're supposed to be making money out of these to cover the cost, not keeping them at home like a console)

WCPO Agent

They're meant for use in actual arcade cabinets and priced accordingly :​P (you're supposed to be making money out of these to cover the cost, not keeping them at home like a console)
    Oh of course, yes it's clearly priced and marketed for commercial use. There are people out there though who would buy these for home use, people already pay $500 for indie Neo Geo games. If they made a home system that doesn't accept payment maybe they'd sell a few thousand units.

To be fair, I enjoyed the Neo mini and love the Neo Geo Arcade Pro. Like I said begore , I only wished SEGA would follow suit with an Saturn Astro Pro Arcade stick for the home with a collection of System 32 and ST-V games on it.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

There is this however:
    I'd be fine with it if they ever get it right. X and Mini emulation was trash. Not to mention no switches in the controllers. Right now the best option other than real hardware is buying them individually on modern systems. I almost bought an X but fell short on money and dodged a bullet. What I don't want for Neo Geo to do is an Amico or VCS route of some new console playing on nostalgia and just having shitty looking steam/android games dumped on it.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    X and Mini emulation was trash. Not to mention no switches in the controllers.
    I've never played or seen an X. But I own the Min and own a Neo Geo AES, Neo Geo CD and can say that wile the emu isn't quite perfect (then again what emu is 100%) it's so close its hardly worth the effort of poinint out the small issues. Its a really great product and the emu on the Arcade Pro is fab.

If ONLY SEGA did the same and made a Dual Virtual Arcade Stick Pro
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information