Quantcast

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics. It's always politics

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    I really don’t know much about it, but if the libtards are crying and shitting all over themselves about it, I’m inclined to think Trump was probably right.

Take Trump out of this completely: any US president will kill you if you piss him off enough.
    Democrats suffer from TDS to such a degree that in their eyes it doesn't matter what Trump does, he'll never be right. A democrat, I forget which, was actually quoted as tweeting after Soleimani was killed "Right decision. Wrong Commander In Chief." I mean WTF?! So presumably that means that they'd prefer somebody like Hilary Clinton in charge making all the wrong decisions, than they would Trump in office making the right decisions. You cannot make this shit up. It doesn't matter what he does, they hate Trump so much that common sense just gets thrown out of the window. If Trump tweeted tomorrow that he loves oxygen, and can't get enough of breathing air, his enemies would probably all put bags on their heads and suffocate themselves. Hey now there's an idea...

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    So what do we all think will happen after the recent US airstrike in Iraq that killed top Iranian general Qassam Soleimani? Did President Trump make the right call? How will Iran respond and, more importantly, do we think that this will lead to another major war in the Middle East?
    Two previous administrations and the Israelis opted against killing him. The guy controlled militias in 4 different countries, so he was a bad mofo. I'm not happy he's dead, but I would REALLY like more justification than "trust me! I'm the Commander-in-Chief!" The last time we did that, we entered two wars that we're still fighting. Also, the timing of this action - less than a month after impeachment - is highly questionable.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Ehh. Worse case it'll be a short hot war and a long cold war. But I doubt Iran has the military might to directly take on the US, so it'll probably just be the usual cold/proxy war. But yeah, being so close to the impeachment thing.. pretty suspicious haha.

But all the people screaming WW3... why? Wars aren't done 'just because'. There's way more to lose, than gain, in another world war. It's just not profitable. Small wars is where it's at haha.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Melf View Post
    Also, the timing of this action - less than a month after impeachment - is highly questionable.
    Yeah, this. A good old-fashioned war is a great way to distract the masses and (hopefully) drum up a bit of nationalism to unite us for a while.

I seem to recall another president who pulled a similar move under somewhat similar circumstances...

Two previous administrations and the Israelis opted against killing him. The guy controlled militias in 4 different countries, so he was a bad mofo. I'm not happy he's dead, but I would REALLY like more justification than "trust me! I'm the Commander-in-Chief!" The last time we did that, we entered two wars that we're still fighting. Also, the timing of this action - less than a month after impeachment - is highly questionable.
    If I was feeling cynical then yes I'd say that this move by Trump will certainly not do his ratings any harm and give him a boost for his 2020 campaign, but having said that the individual in question killed was responsible for many deaths and removing him will prevent many more. The only reason Israel and the Bush and Obama administrations opted against killing Soleimani was because they were worried about how Iran might react, but President Trump has weighed up the pros and cons and made a decisive move based on the fact that there really isn't a whole hell of a lot that Iran can do in retaliation other than to raise the price of oil. Iran would be very VERY foolish to consider taking direct military action against US interests in the Middle East. Yes Iran has a formidable armed force, probably the largest in the Middle East, and in a ground war thousands of US servicemen would be killed, but in the long run Iran would be obliterated. The Shah of Iran may be many things but he ain't stupid.

The only reason Israel and the Bush and Obama administrations opted against killing Soleimani was because they were worried about how Iran might react, but President Trump has weighed up the pros and cons and made a decisive move based on the fact that there really isn't a whole hell of a lot that Iran can do in retaliation other than to raise the price of oil.
    I SINCERELY doubt that someone who has consistently questioned and even outright dismissed the reports of his own intelligence community has weighed the pros and cons of this entire situation. We had much more capable state officials under Bush and Obama (we had more too, since there are so many high level positions currently vacant), and they thought it was a bad move. It's doubtful that Trump has a better understanding of the consequences of this than they did or Israel has.

Iran doesn't have to engage us directly. They have the ability to wage powerful and dangerous cybernetic attacks against us, as well as the multiple militias in 4 countries that are now primed to blow stuff up and constantly hound us. Iran is not Iraq, and we cannot afford another ground invasion, so what are we going to do? We're currently engaged in a half-dozen countries in the Middle East, and now we're going to dedicate forces to Iran as well? This whole situation reeks of Iraq, where Republicans rushed into a war without an exit strategy, and now we have soldiers fighting a war that started before some of them were even born.

Trump is acting to prevent the further loss of American lives. The last thing he wants is a war with Iran. He's just letting them know that they will not be allowed to get away with shit under his watch. Hopefully they received the message loud and clear.

These are people willing to strap bombs to themselves and die. I really doubt blustering on Twitter is going to intimidate them.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I really doubt blustering on Twitter is going to intimidate them.
    Just playing the devil’s advocate here, because I don’t necessarily disagree with you (or Bowsley, either)... but there’s a bit of difference between “blustering on Twitter” and outright killing them with drone strikes. That’s pretty much Trump putting his money where his mouth is.

Depending on source the winds of change do not seem to favor the democrats in their never-ending quest to remove Trump from office. We're not talking Nixon who had bipartisan opposition. Is there ever a "good" time in which to kill someone?

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Democrats suffer from TDS to such a degree that in their eyes it doesn't matter what Trump does, he'll never be right. A democrat, I forget which, was actually quoted as tweeting after Soleimani was killed "Right decision. Wrong Commander In Chief."
    You can find a random idiot from either side making the dumbest statement on literally any issue, but this was clearly not a good decision. Pretty much the only people defending this are Republican partisans. Everyone else from leftists to libertarians to traditional conservatives and everywhere in between has been critical.

The only thing Trump has accomplished is improving Iran-Iraq relations. The reason Soleimani was in Iraq in the first place was for a diplomatic meeting with the prime minister, with the context being hostile tensions between the two countries that seemed hard to reconcile. Now we've pushed them together overnight. PM Abdul-Mahdi also referred to Soleimani as his guest and called his assassination illegal, noting accurately that it violates the terms of our agreement that governs current US presence in Iraq. The Iraqi parliament has already voted to expel US troops from the country.

Meanwhile, in Iran, last year the government was struggling against a mass protest movement, and now people are rallying around the flag. Trump has helped the Iranian regime replace populist sentiment with anti-Americanism.

Even in Israel, where Iran is considered their greatest enemy, Netanyahu praised Soleimani's death but ruled out any actual support for the US. "The killing of Soleimani is a U.S. event, not an Israeli event, and we should stay out of it." That's the best praise we can get from the country most predisposed to praise this action.

President Trump has weighed up the pros and cons and made a decisive move based on the fact
    I sincerely doubt that Trump either weighed the pros and cons or made a decision based on fact.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Just playing the devil’s advocate here, because I don’t necessarily disagree with you (or Bowsley, either)... but there’s a bit of difference between “blustering on Twitter” and outright killing them with drone strikes. That’s pretty much Trump putting his money where his mouth is.
    We've been doing drone strikes in a half-dozen countries there for 20 years, so that isn't exactly something intimidating. I'd think Iran would be prepared for that kind of response, and what he's been talking about on Twitter goes far beyond that. We'll see what happens, but I don't think he's going to go that far, particularly when we're still mired in two wars which he promised to end. He's learning the same lesson Obama learned: saying you're going to end a war is easy, actually doing it is much harder. Starting another war is not going to go well.

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Depending on source the winds of change do not seem to favor the democrats in their never-ending quest to remove Trump from office. We're not talking Nixon who had bipartisan opposition. Is there ever a "good" time in which to kill someone?
    Nixon's impeachment never had bipartisan impeachment until the very end. Republicans defended him tooth and nail until the smoking gun tape came out. By then, there was simply no way to defend him. There's never a good time to take out a bad guy like this, but there is definitely a really bad time (look how things went when we took out Saddam). Like I said, there's a reason why the Israelis, who are directly in danger here, didn't kill this guy earlier.

We've been doing drone strikes in a half-dozen countries there for 20 years, so that isn't exactly something intimidating. I'd think Iran would be prepared for that kind of response, and what he's been talking about on Twitter goes far beyond that. We'll see what happens, but I don't think he's going to go that far, particularly when we're still mired in two wars which he promised to end. He's learning the same lesson Obama learned: saying you're going to end a war is easy, actually doing it is much harder. Starting another war is not going to go well.

Nixon's impeachment never had bipartisan impeachment until the very end. Republicans defended him tooth and nail until the smoking gun tape came out. By then, there was simply no way to defend him. There's never a good time to take out a bad guy like this, but there is definitely a really bad time (look how things went when we took out Saddam). Like I said, there's a reason why the Israelis, who are directly in danger here, didn't kill this guy earlier.
    One thing I never understood about Nixon is why he didn't just destroy that tape and simply deny it's existence. He could have quite easily got rid of the tape and yet for some unfathomable reason he never did. He was a smart guy too, which makes him walking straight into that trap all the more hard to understand.

Master of Shinobi Crystalpepsifan's Avatar

One thing I never understood about Nixon is why he didn't just destroy that tape and simply deny it's existence. He could have quite easily got rid of the tape and yet for some unfathomable reason he never did. He was a smart guy too, which makes him walking straight into that trap all the more hard to understand.
    Hubris.

President Trump is finally exonerated and this bullshit witch-hunt against him can finally end. I've never seen such hysterical screaming and outright lies being told against a sitting US president in my life. The Democrats are priceless, through their infantile inability to accept his victory in 2016, they have, in all likelihood, single handedly guaranteed his re-election this year! You couldn't make it up! So thank you Democrats for re-electing my favourite US President of all time, and maybe next time try not to be such sore losers. It's not a good look. Just like Brexit in my country, sore loser bitching from the remainers did not stop democracy in the UK, and it won't stop it in the US!

Thread Information