Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Saturn ODE Project (Fenrir)

Default New Saturn ODE Project (Fenrir)

https://twitter.com/Ced2911/status/1192201049198739458

Ced
    @Ced2911

First prototype for the saturn disc emulator (Fenrir). Games load fine. Need more testing but the end IS near

This is a French developer, who seems to be quite far along with this. This is a disc drive replacement I assume.

https://www.retrorgb.com/fenrir-sega...e-updates.html

First batch is shipping. Next run will be 50 units. Cost is around 80 EUR, very cool. Uses SD card, supports both CCD/IMG and CUE/ISO disc images. Only 20 pin Saturn's are supported currently.

Installation: https://www.fenrir-ode.fr/installation/

https://twitter.com/Ced2911/status/1223619644440924160

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I love the idea of these but I'm a fucking retard who has never done a mod or knows how to Sauder. I have never messed with ROMs or emus. Like I said I'm retarded. I have a Spare US Saturn where the disc drive is dead. A Spare DC that has yellowed over time and would love to convert them but no idea where to go from here. I feel like if I found someone to do it. They would either overcharge taking advantage and/or fill the damn thing with hot glue.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    I love the idea of these but I'm a fucking retard who has never done a mod or knows how to Sauder. I have never messed with ROMs or emus. Like I said I'm retarded. I have a Spare US Saturn where the disc drive is dead. A Spare DC that has yellowed over time and would love to convert them but no idea where to go from here. I feel like if I found someone to do it. They would either overcharge taking advantage and/or fill the damn thing with hot glue.
    You only live once! Give it a try and if you mess up - oh well, you're just out some money. But if you succeed then you have learned a new skill and all that comes with it.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Soldering is easy. There are plenty of videos on Youtube to teach you how not to do it like a thumb-fisted mong. I regret paying thousands of dollars for my electronic engineering degree.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Hang on, the Fenrir is PLUG N PLAY, there's no soldering. The installation is incredibly easy. The device hasn't been thoroughly tested in terms of game compatibility.

Master of Shinobi

Rhea/Phoebe updates are almost unheard of, and setup is unnecessarily difficult and convoluted. I actually sold my own Rhea out of disappointment and decided to wait for better options. Fenrir is shaping up to be that option so far, for me at least.
    hahahaha what

that's the stupidest thing I've read in a long while.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    Soldering is easy. There are plenty of videos on Youtube to teach you how not to do it like a thumb-fisted mong. I regret paying thousands of dollars for my electronic engineering degree.
    Yeah, I ended up in the network communications line of work. My degree in the applied science of electronics isnít getting much use, other than being able to troubleshoot issues very easily.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    hahahaha what

that's the stupidest thing I've read in a long while.
    Yeah...what? I've got a Rhea in my saturn. It is literally just a ribbon cable and another small plug for the power. No soldering required either. Just pull out the original drive and place the Rhea in its place and plug it in. Installing a modchip board into the Saturn is more difficult and that is also a dead easy task with very little soldering required.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    Yeah...what? I've got a Rhea in my saturn. It is literally just a ribbon cable and another small plug for the power. No soldering required either. Just pull out the original drive and place the Rhea in its place and plug it in. Installing a modchip board into the Saturn is more difficult and that is also a dead easy task with very little soldering required.
    The post I quoted says that the process you described is "unnecessarily difficult and convoluted", and that Fenrir looks like a "better option", despite that installation will most likely be the exact same process as with the Rhea (since it is also a drive replacement).

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    Only 20 pin Saturn's are supported currently.
    Soooo.... is that model 1 or model 2? Everyone can discern model 1 or 2 at a glance, even SegataS (kidding). But they have to be opened up to discern the number of pins. There are different revisions of the model 2, right?

20 pin are model 1 units. 21 pin started with the model 2....

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Both my working Grey Japanese Saturn and my non-working US Saturn are model 1.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    20 pin are model 1 units. 21 pin started with the model 2....
    Plenty of model 1s have 21pin drives.
    Unlike other consoles, model 1/2 is mainly just an aesthetic difference for the Saturn. The only hardware tweak was removing the access led and the memory erase button, the motherboards stayed the same.

In that case, could it be identified by a few digits of a serial number? Or a after or before a certain manufacure date listed on the console?

Thread Information