Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: The best music on the Mega Drive, as voted for by me!

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Hey great choices, guys! Those are some good tunes! I'm particularly loving that ending theme for Sub Terrania.

No love for Music 01 from Time Trax? 60 Hz preference for me.

IMO Music 01 is one of the best things I've ever heard coming out of a YM2612.
    It brings tears to my eyes when I realize I'll never have this on a legitimate cartridge ;_;

(50Hz PAL version at 26:33)

Outrunner

I do like this one. Might sound a bit plinky-plonky to begin with but just let it build up into the arpeggios:

Bram Stoker's Dracula on the Mega Drive also had a very good soundtrack in my opinion. These two tracks are my favourite:

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Gaptoothedidiot's Avatar

[QUOTE=Mega Drive Bowlsey;854717]Bram Stoker's Dracula on the Mega Drive also had a very good soundtrack in my opinion. These two tracks are my favourite:

Oh my, that level 2.3 tune is a belter. I've never heard that before. Nor have I played the game or seen the movie. Just based on the music from stage 2.3, I'm going to do both now. Thanks for sharing that Bowlsey.

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    OK, so lists like this are highly subjective and personal and this one is no exception. All these tracks just bring back awesome memories and I also rate them as damn fine pieces of music too! This list is not in order of preference and is by no means exhaustive, they're just the ones that play over and over in my head on an almost daily basis lol. I'll have to post this in installments due to the limit on vid posts. So, starting with these five, here are, for your pleasure, what I consider to be some of the best music on the Mega Drive...
    That Alien 3 track scared the turds out of me. I'd forgotten all about it. It's so bloody ominous it had me looking around the sofa for a glass jar that Burke may have left in my sitting room. The first half of that number is a top tune on it's own but along with the game it could make you spincter twitch like a rabbit's nose. The Alien 3 movie has a top soundtrack aswell. What doyou think? Right? Wrong? Ah, it doesn't matter, I enjoy it anyway I hope you folks do too.

The tune fits well with the parts in the game it appears (sadly, it's the theme to me having my ass handed to me when I've heard it. I'll be good at that game one day).

Jungle Strike theme is another good one. I bet that would sound good on real instruments. I wonder has anyone done that.

Oh they have marvellous

Last edited by Gaptoothedidiot; 01-05-2020 at 04:15 PM. Reason: I didn't embed the video because I'm stupid

I'd like to submit, for the consideration of my peers, the theme from Marble Zone in Sonic the Hedgehog for your approval....or disapproval.

But before you folks, rightfully, link the theme to the irritation of the first time you had to experience Sonic's speed being hampered by blocks slowly drifting accross lava....removed from the game it is a different beast.

That is superb! The Marble Zone theme was always my dad's favourite Sonic tune, so I'll be sure to let him hear this.

That is superb! The Marble Zone theme was always my dad's favourite Sonic tune, so I'll be sure to let him hear this.
    I'm glad you like it, I hope your dad likes it too. (What am I saying? this video has nothing to do with me.) I've gotta say, I love hearing video game music done on real instruments. I may be bullshitting myself here, but in my head, it gives the composers from the games the plaudits they deserve.

Outrunner

I see your Marble Zone and raise you this:

Last edited by crazyteknohed; 01-08-2020 at 03:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    I see your Marble Zone and raise you this:

Nice. Jazzy. I listened to it while I was washing the dishes, it had me rolling my hips the whole way through. Which the neighbour looking through my kitchen window thought I was either me dancing to a groovy tune or me having sex with my kitchen sink. Either way they'll be discussing me over their evening meal tonight.

I didn't think this would exist and if it didn't I was going to ask if anybody on this thread had a touch of musical skill to do it for me. But it DOES exist.

I'll see your streets of rage and raise you a Lotus 2 (lotus 1 on the megadrive)

Outrunner

Thatís pretty neat actually. Love the Lotus 2 theme on the Amiga... sadly the MD rendition pales in comparison.

Found some more cool covers:

Thread Information