Quantcast

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: In your opinion is the console industry cartelized?

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Nintendo has the capital, but they are smart when it comes to drawing the battle lines.
    I don't think so. Nintendo is run by morons who want the world to be like their Japanese views. Too much inconsistency since the N64 days.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    No it hasn't. The Switch has sold nearly as many units as the XBOne in half the time and there's still 75 million 3DSs out there (with tens of millions of copies of Pokémon games alone). Not to mention huge numbers of people gaming on PCs and mobile devices. A lot of the top selling games for both XBOne and PS4 are available on Windows too.
    I think you're exaggerating that people play PC. There's numbers, but they barely play anything that isn't DOTA or Counterstrike.
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by sull56ivan2010 View Post
    I don't think so. Nintendo is run by morons who want the world to be like their Japanese views. Too much inconsistency since the N64 days.

I think you're exaggerating that people play PC. There's numbers, but they barely play anything that isn't DOTA or Counterstrike.
    Actually I didn't list any numbers for PC. I just said a lot of games are available on Windows, and they are. So you don't have to buy any console if you don't want one.

If Nintendo is run by morons I wish I had a few people that stupid to help with my business. The Switch is the fastest selling console this generation.
    https://www.businessinsider.com/nint...console-2019-3

You didn't read "Way too much inconsistency since the N64 days."
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

It just outsold PS3 in Japan (10.5 million). Outsold PS4 there a while ago(8 million). On pace to outsell Wii in a few months in Japan which was 12 million. Recently set a US record for most console sales in thanksgiving week with over 830k.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Just because no other console has come out in competition with XBox and PlayStation, that’s hardly an indication that Sony and Microsoft are actively shutting down the competition (not that I doubt they would try). It really just means that no one else wants to. The only other companies who have the capital to give it a good run would be Amazon and ... well, Google. It’s just too hard and too risky. Even for bigger companies, it’s probably not worth the hassle.

The console market is one of the most lucrative. after Sega left the market I migrated to the PC, and saw that the PC was becoming more consolezed, after I realized that Nvidia was basically left alone in the VGA market, AMD in turn got the consoles, xbox and playstation has more similarities than difference, xbox control has 4 front buttons, 2 analog buttons and 4 shoulder buttons, before 2001 all consoles had different controls, games were mostly exclusive during the Genesis-Snes contest today no matter which console or PC you get the industry checked consumers out, they wanted to do it with 3DO, and managed to do it as soon as Microsoft came in, after that the market was isolated in a bubble and with each generation quality dropped. , the next generation promises to be the worst.

but look, talking to some Switch fans, they even went so far as to say that Nintendo's monopoly in the handheld market is beneficial to everyone, my God, look where we got it.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Those morons have the 2nd best selling console ever in the Wii, and have pretty much printed money with their handheld sales. The Switch is more than likely going to sell better than the PS3 and 360, and has already outsold the Xbox One. They know that offering the same level of console as Sony and MS will lead to them splitting sales; they’d much rather buck the trend by offering something different and have a much more diverse audience.

PC gaming is as popular as it has ever been. Fortnite, PubG, Overwatch, Minecraft and GTA V have been massively popular on PC. I don’t own an Xbox One, because I have a much more powerful PC that can play the same games much better. My current rotation of games is Forza Horizon 4, The Witcher 3: Blood and Wine, The Outer Worlds and Metro Exodus.

My local MicreCenter has been as busy as it has ever been in the past 10 years. There’s always someone looking to build a gaming PC, when I’m there looking around. I, as a matter of fact, just upgraded my rig from a 4790k to a 9900k setup.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-06-2019 at 02:10 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Even Walmart now sells its own branded gaming PCs. They're crap but the fact Walmart is now in it shows it's as hot as ever. Top it off you don't need a high-end PC to play games on PC. You can play a lot of stuff from GoG and Steam with even low-end specs. Maybe not the newest Doom but older stuff. Budget stuff. Indies. Twitch gives away games if you have Amazon Prime. DMC HD. The Messenger and more. Steam sales are always hot.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Switch

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    the game market has been like this since SEGA left

Pretending Nintendo doesn't exist is a bad argument to make.

Also if Nintendo are morons I wish I could be as stupid as them with as much money they're raking in.
    05/05/15

Quote Originally Posted by BonusKun View Post
    Pretending Nintendo doesn't exist is a bad argument to make.
    Nintendo has ''the swtch'' market monopoly, Jim Ryan says no more handhelds from sony. who is older knows that Nintendo has always dominated the industry but still there were other competitors. local and worldwide, Now this is past.

As we can see there seems to be a non-aggression policy among all these companies involved, because the mere existence of a PSP-2 could take at least 20M of Nintendo customers.

Worst of all, we can't do anything, maybe a twiiter campaign asking for a new player would be the right one. supreme court judges would take days debating whether or not there is a cartel.

I wish people would start reading "Too much inconsistency since the N64 days." in that post I made. Yes, the Switch is doing well. But what if they fuck up next generation? They fucked up on the 64 despite being I think a good system. Fucked up on the GameCube despite a bigger library and better support than the 64. Caught lightning in a bottle with the Wii. Embarrassed themselves with the Wii U. Recovered as of now with the Switch. Yes, they are making loads of money, but it's a cop out defense people make all the time. Why not get the money and a bigger fanbase? And can they keep it for the next generation? Their handheld division saved their asses from the mistakes they have made on their home consoles.

I don't hate Nintendo, but they make their share of poor decisions from their offices in Japan.

Yeah, but Nintendo’s fuckups weren’t nearly as costly as the billions of dollars that MS lost between the Xbox and the 360, and Sony lost with the PS3. You might say that the Switch is the evolution of the Wii U, so they did learn something from that.

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Even Walmart now sells its own branded gaming PCs. They're crap but the fact Walmart is now in it shows it's as hot as ever. Top it off you don't need a high-end PC to play games on PC. You can play a lot of stuff from GoG and Steam with even low-end specs. Maybe not the newest Doom but older stuff. Budget stuff. Indies. Twitch gives away games if you have Amazon Prime. DMC HD. The Messenger and more. Steam sales are always hot.
    It’s popular enough, that guys like Terry Crews and Post Malone approached Jayz2Cents to build them a custom PC.

Last edited by gamevet; 12-06-2019 at 04:18 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

That reminds me, Microsoft was supposedly on the way to finally start turning a profit on consoles with the XBox One. Then they fucked that up horribly before launch :v

Even Sega didn't embarrass themselves that bad with the Saturn.

but xbox one is profitable, it should be close to 50M units sold

Understand, there is no mistake when there are only two companies in the market and both have 85% of the games in common. So if sales do not occur just lower the prices that people will buy, because it will be cheap and runs GTA, FIFA, AC and the Too many multis, there is no success or failure in this situation both companies will always close the generation with profit.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    but xbox one is profitable, it should be close to 50M units sold

Understand, there is no mistake when there are only two companies in the market and both have 85% of the games in common. So if sales do not occur just lower the prices that people will buy, because it will be cheap and runs GTA, FIFA, AC and the Too many multis, there is no success or failure in this situation both companies will always close the generation with profit.
    Xbox One is profitable, because it's built with cheap technology. Even the One X is using an (updated) GPU that is a updated version of their much older Tonga GPUs.

Sony and MS pretty much made a gentleman's agreement, after both of them lost their asses during the last gen. It's part of the reason why the specs of their launch consoles is so close to eachother. It's also the reason why the last gen consoles were on the market for 7 and 8 years, so they could recoup some of their losses.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-06-2019 at 10:00 PM.

WCPO Agent

You didn't read "Way too much inconsistency since the N64 days."
    Maybe I'm not understanding it but I can't think of many tech companies that have been consistent since 1996. Microsoft has been all over the place with the Windows versions (NT, CE, ME, 2K, XP, Vista etc) plus failed products like the Zune and Windows phones. Sony tried several times to get into portable gaming and finally gave up. In the mid '90s cell phones were expensive gadgets not gaming-capable machines everyone carries in their pockets.

Nintendo has had several successes since then (GBC, GBA, DS, Wii, 3DS, Switch, Pokémon Go) and a few failures (N64DD, GC, 3DS at launch, Wii U). Overall I'd consider it a very good track record, one most companies would love to have.

Thread Information