Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: In your opinion is the console industry cartelized?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Default In your opinion is the console industry cartelized?

That's it, the late Satoru Iwata in 2001 already said when when he announced GameCube that in practical terms there is only a '' third '' console and that manufacturers only make them exclusive to them.

A user named Saturnino from an international YT channel already said, prior to the official announcement of the ps4 specs that the market was converging on less and less real competition, so they would opt for similar specs to further reduce risks.

Now we are at the door of a new generation, no matter which one will be stronger, for in a long-term two-fight no one ever really loses, because sales will come either by price change or by brand ... we live a cartelized gamer industry? This would explain why no new players enter this market, give your opinion about it.

I will take the opportunity to put the source of the speech that Iwata said that, in 2001 at 10:42 he begins to unmask the industry, at 12:55 he speaks what I said in the OP and so continues until the end of the speech. It looks like we took checkmate in and from 2001

Brace yourselves

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

The tech industry is. You get Apple or Android for your phone. Windows or Apple for a computer. Games you get a PC, PS4 or Xbox and Switch as a complementary device to a console. Nintendo left dedicated home consoles. Search engines it's Google and no one else really. Bing is a joke. Many of the big names were driven out of TVs. The entire tech industry is fewer choices now. We live in a world where people can't live without this tech and the average person just goes to a familiar brand name.

Remember Aiwa? In the 90s when the tech was still more luxury than a necessity, they became one of the premier brands in audio for CD players. Walkmans and such. Pretty much unknown before the mid-90s. I think people took more risks than on brands as people willing to buy were more into tech. Early 2000's Samsung rose from relatively unknown to becoming a premier brand. Now it's a bit tougher unless you offer a much more affordable option. TCL is that company.

Now a month away from 2020 with a new PlayStation and Microsoft console on the way people will just get one of those. Familiar brand names. The 90s. Who the fuck is Sony to enter game consoles? That's ok they are in Toys R Us next to SEGA and Nintendo so they must be good right? (didn't happen with 3D0, CDi, Jaguar) The 80s? Who the fuck is Nintendo? Well, it's being sold in Sears next to Teddy Ruxbin so it must be good right? 2019? Everything is with everything so who cares. Just give me the names I know about.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

SegataS I've asked this question in a lot of places, and you're the first person who said the whole tech industry is, look I had never noticed but unfortunately these latest generation ps4 and xbox one made things very evident, see Nvidia operates basically alone in the VGA market, AMD monopolizes the distribution on the consoles, Nintendo operates alone in the portable market, so I'm not excited for ps5 and scarlett, this is no longer a dispute over who will be number 1, It's just about keeping profits high.

There are no losers or winners, if one of the companies has difficulty just lower the price of the product that customers will buy, since multiplat games are the majority of games. an expressive number of people give up exclusive for low price to play the multiplat and this ensures the success of this harmful model. Breaking this cycle requires a new player to enter the market.

I did laugh at the irony of Nintendo. A company who looked to control 3rd parties with the NES and was finned twice for pricing fixing in the EU, we had similyar issues with Microsoft control over the PC Operating system

But the reality is the cost of developing and marketing a console or gaming platform. We've sort of had a new player come in with Google but that's not really working well. To me it's like with F1, the cost of entering and developing your own car it's just so expensive, most just don't bother and most do fail badly. Tech is costly to develop and these days needs to be sold at low prices making it so hard for any new corp to start up and come in.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Google is an example, instead of creating a normal console in partnership with Nvidia, preferred to make this Stadia, ok but not to call it competition, it shows that even Google respects a possible lobbying of some third partiesmanufacturer sony and microsoft The proof that there is interference from third parties is precisely the almost simultaneous releases of both consoles as if they were a single console if we look at a less superficial level.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I gotta ask... why do you think it matters whether or not any new players enter the console market? Do we really need a fourth or fifth gaming console? I donít think it has anything to do with the industry being ďcartelizedĒ (which is a silly overstatement). Itís just not necessary.

I am so sick of youtube forcing those damn Stadia ADs in my face.
    05/05/15

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    The tech industry is. You get Apple or Android for your phone. Windows or Apple for a computer. Games you get a PC, PS4 or Xbox and Switch as a complementary device to a console. Nintendo left dedicated home consoles. Search engines it's Google and no one else really. Bing is a joke. Many of the big names were driven out of TVs. The entire tech industry is fewer choices now. We live in a world where people can't live without this tech and the average person just goes to a familiar brand name.

Remember Aiwa? In the 90s when the tech was still more luxury than a necessity, they became one of the premier brands in audio for CD players. Walkmans and such. Pretty much unknown before the mid-90s. I think people took more risks than on brands as people willing to buy were more into tech. Early 2000's Samsung rose from relatively unknown to becoming a premier brand. Now it's a bit tougher unless you offer a much more affordable option. TCL is that company.

Now a month away from 2020 with a new PlayStation and Microsoft console on the way people will just get one of those. Familiar brand names. The 90s. Who the fuck is Sony to enter game consoles? That's ok they are in Toys R Us next to SEGA and Nintendo so they must be good right? (didn't happen with 3D0, CDi, Jaguar) The 80s? Who the fuck is Nintendo? Well, it's being sold in Sears next to Teddy Ruxbin so it must be good right? 2019? Everything is with everything so who cares. Just give me the names I know about.

Why exactly is Bing a joke? I've been using it for a year without a single instance of thinking "this isn't working, I need Google". It's every bit as useful as Google, only it doesn't try to revise my search with a bunch of questions I'm not actually asking.

I've always heard it suggested that when a market gets really competitive, it always comes down the three, which is usually true. Google, Bing, and Yahoo. Apple, Samsung and now OnePlus as LG falls out of favor. Vizio, Samsung and soon to be TCL instead of LG. Walmart, Target, and now Amazon instead of Kmart. Not sure why, but there is usually only about three companies that can refine a product or service down to a science... not just in technology, but also in marketing and distribution, so that it becomes basically impossible for others to break into that market.

We're all a bunch of sheep. Why take a risk on something different when we're content with the way something works? Funny enough, I think for this reason Stadia is going to mostly flop.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    I gotta ask... why do you think it matters whether or not any new players enter the console market? Do we really need a fourth or fifth gaming console? I donít think it has anything to do with the industry being ďcartelizedĒ (which is a silly overstatement). Itís just not necessary.
    to have competition, to have new ideas, what we have today is an agenda, forcing games like Fortinit and its clones, see microsoft no longer strives to get the first position the important thing for her is just to stay in the blue, Nintendo one of the richest companies, instead of making a GameCube 2 capable of receiving the multis to kick out xbox, it doesn't do so, which partially shows that it is also part of the process of avoiding real competition between the companies so that they can profit more and more. easily.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets SegataS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    to have competition, to have new ideas, what we have today is an agenda, forcing games like Fortinit and its clones, see microsoft no longer strives to get the first position the important thing for her is just to stay in the blue, Nintendo one of the richest companies, instead of making a GameCube 2 capable of receiving the multis to kick out xbox, it doesn't do so, which partially shows that it is also part of the process of avoiding real competition between the companies so that they can profit more and more. easily.
    Do you want another Gamecube? Really? Their worst-selling home console ever until Wii U which was their last home console that only sold 13 million? Yes what a horrible choice they made going with Switch which has sold 43 million in under 3 years and is on pace to sell over 100 million lifetime. Oh, and they get plenty of support on it. More than expected given the hardware. A third console competing with PS5 and the next Xbox would just be crowded and pointless. Besides Gamecube 2 already came out. It was called the Wii and Gamecube 3 was called Wii U. (Same CPU) No matter what MS PR says they are looking to be the number one selling console next-gen. Why else buy a bunch of studios and keep Scarlett dev kit specs secret while Sony flaunts them?

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    No offense, but I think youíre the one with the agenda, lol.

The market will not support a fourth or fifth console in direct competition with Nintendo, Sony, and Microsoft. Third party developers wonít go for it and neither will consumers. Thereís plenty of smaller companies outside of the Big 3 that are making consoles ... pretty successfully, in fact.

Also, consumers donít want competition and they donít want new IPs. They just want the same titles that the other consoles have. A fourth party console (Iím assuming you mean Sega) would be stupid not to have all the same popular IPs that the other consoles have (ie Fortnite and Minecraft).

WCPO Agent

No it's not a cartel. If it were Sega and Atari would still be in the hardware business and Nintendo wouldn't have struggled against newcomers like Sony and Microsoft. The fact that a new challenger (Google) just entered the market should further disprove this.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Stadia isn't going anywhere. It's a game streaming service that will fail just like Sony's own Playstation Now, and several other outfits that tried to do it over the past couple of years.

I only have one console from the whatever gen it is now, PS4, and I have that because of Sony's exclusives. The rest of my gaming is on PC, with occasional handheld gaming on 3DS and PSP. I got a Wii U, long after the plug was pulled on it, and honestly, I haven't turned that thing on in over 6 months.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Stadia isn't going anywhere. It's a game streaming service that will fail just like Sony's own Playstation Now, and several other outfits that tried to do it over the past couple of years.

I only have one console from the whatever gen it is now, PS4, and I have that because of Sony's exclusives. The rest of my gaming is on PC, with occasional handheld gaming on 3DS and PSP. I got a Wii U, long after the plug was pulled on it, and honestly, I haven't turned that thing on in over 6 months.
    Iím really liking the Switch this gen. Namely because it get so much physical media support for indie titles that I would have otherwise ignored as download only games. The only exclusives I care about nowadays are Nintendoís.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

I'd like the Switch more as a portable device, and I'll probably get one later on. I just got a 3DS not too long ago though, so it is my current choice for portable gaming.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information