Quantcast

Thread: Genesis AC adapter while using 32x question

Wildside Expert

Default Genesis AC adapter while using 32x question

I have a model 1 Genesis. When I play it normally without the 32x attached, the AC adapter gets warm. Normal. But when I play with my 32x attached (both are plugged in), my Genesis AC adapter gets way hotter than it normally does on itís own. The 32x adapter just gets a little warm. Is this normal?

I don't think that is normal. Are you using an original OEM AV patch cable from the genesis AV out to the 32x?

Try unplugging the power from the Genesis and see if it still powers on with the 32x attached and the 32x power plugged into the 32x...

Quote Originally Posted by Salduchi View Post
    I have a model 1 Genesis. When I play it normally without the 32x attached, the AC adapter gets warm. Normal. But when I play with my 32x attached (both are plugged in), my Genesis AC adapter gets way hotter than it normally does on itís own. The 32x adapter just gets a little warm. Is this normal?
    Some of these power supplies are quite old. All I can say is have you tried a different AC adapter for both your Genesis and 32X? How much hotter are we talking about here? It's normal for the Genesis itself to run hotter when the 32X is attached. It's also possible that the A/C adapter for your Model 1 Genesis or your 32X is nearing the end of it's service life and needs new capacitors assuming you can get the bricks open.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    I don't think that is normal. Are you using an original OEM AV patch cable from the genesis AV out to the 32x?

Try unplugging the power from the Genesis and see if it still powers on with the 32x attached and the 32x power plugged into the 32x...
    There's just one problem with that. You can't turn on the Genesis that way. The A/V patch cable is unlikely to have any effect unless the ground is shorted to something in the cable or it's poorly shielded and let's a ton of interference inside or causes a lot of interference to TV and Radio signals.

Quote Originally Posted by Chibisteven View Post
    There's just one problem with that. You can't turn on the Genesis that way. The A/V patch cable is unlikely to have any effect unless the ground is shorted to something in the cable or it's poorly shielded and let's a ton of interference inside or causes a lot of interference to TV and Radio signals.
    Normally you are correct in that the Genesis isn't supposed to be powered in this manner. But there is at least one other thread in these forums where another member complained that their Genesis couldn't be turned off while their 32x was attached. It was found that the clone AV patch cable they were using was backfeeding the +5 from the 32x back into the Genesis and it was actually powering the Genesis in the process. Console5 confirmed that the cables they were selling were also doing this and so they were removing the pin from the AV cables that was causing this that shouldn't have been in there to begin with.

Thread Information