Quantcast

Thread: New 32X Book

Default New 32X Book

Rgt85 has wrote a book about the 32X. I got my copy today and while I have not read it all the way, I have glanced through and honestly...I am disappointed. I have actually been waiting for this book since I heard he was writing it.

The collecting guide is incomplete. Only 2 games from Brazil? No Asian region at all? Whats the deal? It seems to focus too much on information that honestly everyone already knows about the 32X. I kept expecting info, no matter how much or little, on each region. There is some cool stuff in it, but again, it is missing out on a lot. In this day and age, with the Internet and database sites showcasing info and/or pictures of attachments and games...why is so much missing?

Look, I get that writing a book is hard to do. I couldn't write one as well as this and my hat is off to him. But as a YouTuber with what seems to be connections, I just felt that there should have been more info. Gather what you can about each region...show pictures of what the 32X and the games looked like in each region.

Maybe I am being too harsh, but as a 32X enthusiast and someone who was excited about this book...I feel a LOT of potential was lost. Again, big props to him and everyone who helped in creating it...but it does not feel like a "complete" guide at all.

Sorry if I sound like a jerk, but my two cents on first glance. I am sure I will enjoy reading it, which I know I will. But I could not call this a complete guide by any means and I feel those who know very little about it won't get as much info as they could have.
    I am Mr_32X

I don't like RGT 85. He reminds me of Pat Contri, only more of a douchebag. Pat at least can be decent to listen to. I feel this RGT guy is only cashing in on views.

Isn't it hard to know the full truth about the 32x, though? What I mean is who do you believe?
    Some people like companies losing jobs.

Yeah this seems too much of a cash grab. Its funny because every game is listed and even shows the region's they're released in. All the games released in Brazil are noted there...so then why didn't they put them in the collection list?

The memories section starts out with Al Nilsen...then after that are youtubers and other gaming people. What a waste of potential there. Not much info is given on each game. The basics if you will. But thank goodness we get a review of every game because as someone wanting a complete guide, knowing a youtubers opinion on each game adds to the book.

This is such a waste of money. What little is there can easily be found online. Actually you can find a LOT more online and for free. The back of the book states how it has "everything you wanted to know, or learn, about the Sega 32X". Wrong!

Again, it's great he and other made this...but it simply does NOT deliver on what it promises. If anyone is thinking on buying it, don't. This is bare bones, gives nothing but the basics, and honestly some of us could give more info than what this does. I guess I didn't enjoy it like I thought I would.

My biggest pro on the book was seeing the ads from different regions. The only promo item listed is the VF Training Pack. I have a few promo items for the 32X yet nothing listed about them. Why? How much research truly went into this? I am sorry just frustrated at the missed potential here and there is a lot of missed potential.
    I am Mr_32X

There's only 40 games for the system, right? 45? I'm curious about the layout, because the NES and SNES guide books did the American libraries. The 32x book shouldn't be that difficult to do two pages dedicated to each game. Include a description of the game, the info on how many players it does, publisher, etc... and then have the reviews from the people. I'm not sure if I would trust YouTubers for this one in particular. Who did he get to help him? Because it shouldn't have taken that much of a toll to try every 32x game.

The way you describe the book, it comes off as something from fans (or anti-fans). As I said, cashing in, which you agree. Game Sack is better qualified to talk the 32x. This whole site is probably better qualified.

Nameless One

Lol, I feared something like this so didn't order it and happy I didn't waste my money ^^
    Guardiana, the Megadrive Musem.
    Come and join us at http://www.guardiana.net !

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Wasn't aware a book about the 32X was even being written. There's so rarely any articles written about it these days, even on publications like Retro Gamer. I still remember how it was the envy item at Electronic Boutique/Babbages when it launched.

I saw his video earlier this year saying he was writing one. Being a sucker for the 32X I got excited. Well it was greatly crushed. I could give an actual review versus my frustrated rants...but I think they speak for themselves. Save your cash.
    I am Mr_32X

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar

I don't mind the rants, I look for those when I'm reading user reviews on Metacritic/Steam actually. You can tell those kind of reviews are passionate about the product.

Master of Shinobi

Is there even anything in these books which you can't get from Wikipedia + the interviews on this site?

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    Is there even anything in these books which you can't get from Wikipedia + the interviews on this site?
    The ads. There are pages showing ads from different regions. That is honestly the best thing about the book. Aside from that every single thing can easily be googled. Honestly you could learn more by just seeing pictures of my collection than the book. The book should be titled something like the "most basic guide" cause that's all it is. Wikipedia probably has more info than the book.
    I am Mr_32X

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legend77 View Post
    The ads. There are pages showing ads from different regions. That is honestly the best thing about the book. Aside from that every single thing can easily be googled. Honestly you could learn more by just seeing pictures of my collection than the book. The book should be titled something like the "most basic guide" cause that's all it is. Wikipedia probably has more info than the book.
    You mean the regional ads that are readily available on Sega Retro?

https://segaretro.org/Sega_32X/Promotional_material

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

So someone just copy/pasted a few random things off the internet and sold it as a "book"? Is the print/binding high quality, or is it spural bound computer paper?
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Its a decent quality. Basically you're all right. Take a few pictures online...take the basic info...and write a book. This is the beginners guide...not a complete guide. The more I think about it the more agitated I become. However if I can save anyone from not purchasing this then I guess I did my job.
    I am Mr_32X

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

Not a big fan of the guy, didn't even know he was writing a book about the 32X.

I know a ton about the SegaCD and 32X after enjoying and collecting them and their variants for like the last, I don't know like 20 years of my life. But I'd never presume to write a book about the subject unless I could add something beyond what's been talked about on forums. Sounds like this was quite a disappointment.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Thread Information