Quantcast

Thread: Why was Beggar Prince hated so much?

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

Default Why was Beggar Prince hated so much?

I always loved the game. Why does it get thrashed here so much? It's certainly better than WuKong or Star Odyssey as far as SFT's releases go. I found it a very charming and unique game. The bugs did cause problems, but I would like to see it remade. Who else is a fan?

Never let dreams die! Master of Shinobi CMA Death Adder's Avatar

I thought it was pretty good. Script could have used some work.
    Cruise by Diskman Presents: filled with geektastic classic gaming goodness!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Hated? I've only seen positive reviews. I remember thinking the game was okay, but that reviews wouldn't have been nearly as nice back in the days.
    To me, it lacks depth, and it's a shame that there's only one playable character. It also has a few obvious bugs (I remember Brandon told me they fixed a couple but couldn't fix them all). The graphics are pretty nice, though.

At least it was good enough for me to finish it, unlike Legend of Wukong.

I followed it when it was announced, and bought the first edition on release. It wasn't hated. It was the first big posthumous Genesis game. If opinion on it has soured, that was later on.

I never saw any hate for it either. It's really a great game, with unique setting and gameplay, and it looks and sounds quite fine too. Only the bugs, as mentioned before, brings it down in my opinion.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

I never hated it, I was a bit shocked when that forest maze.. bug? thing was found. (been meaning to print out how to avoid that, anyone remember how?)
    but other than that I always felt fondly about it, always kinda struck me as the start of the batch of "new" full games we've been getting since then.

Can we get some examples of hate for Beggar Prince? I haven't seen any obvious hate so far.

Nameless One

The only "hate" I've seen is the frustration of folks looking for a physical copy. Otherwise from what I've read its a competent Mega Drive indie game.

Now we could talk about my love/hate relationship with Pier Solar, but that's for another thread.

Outrunner

I liked it until around 30hrs in or so I encountered a game-breaking bug. I think I ended up going through the one-way forest at the wrong part of the game. Really frustrating and killed it for me as Iíve not gone back to the game since.

Pier Solar, for all its faults, I loved and will play through it again some time in the future. Sure, itís not perfect, but itís amazing what Watermelon managed to achieve in creating an indie game from scratch on MD hardware and to this scale. Iím sure a lot of the negativity towards the game on this board is a direct result of Fonzie f***ing us over with Paprium.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker nitelich's Avatar

While I'm not a fan of Beggar Prince, I always thought I was in the minority with that opinion. I don't know if my dislike was strong enough to be hate, anyway.

For the record, my dislike is in part due to the limited edition nature of the cartridge release, and in part due to the odd structuring of the game. The solo player party (especially when enemies can use sleep status on you), stamina system in battles, and the lack of any sort of item stores throughout the game stood out in particular.
    Managed memory, in my VDP? It's more likely than you think.
    Expand your ROM size with this one weird pointer dereference (Fonzie hates them).

Keeping the list of new physically released homebrew games up to date! ...And looking to buy a few I've missed.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

I liked it. I liked Wukong. I never played through Star Odyssey. I thought about buying the Trifecta PC versions. Super Fighter Team isn't selling it digitally now though.

I would really like to see these games, and Barver Battle Saga in english running on the Mini's Project Lunar. I would play them all that way.

(formerly known as 5233) Master of Shinobi Jeckidy's Avatar

I'd like to see Beggar Prince by itself released on GOG.com with the remaining major bugs fixed. No Wukong or Star Odyssey. I no longer have access to the RPG Trifecta Pack due to SFT no longer selling it and no longer having the file on storage (if anyone has it on file then send it to me since I did pay for it legally back when it came out). I too am on the forest maze and am really annoyed by the bug. It has to do with the Forest Spirit enemy using the tree monster summon. The maze as it is is irritating and hard to navigate, and I need the last statue before entering the volcano. I'm playing the ROM via GenesisPlusGX for Wii, but want the RPG Trifecta Pack installer/archive since it's legit and they never said we were obliged to delete it once their licenses expired.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    I'd like to see Beggar Prince by itself released on GOG.com with the remaining major bugs fixed. No Wukong or Star Odyssey. I no longer have access to the RPG Trifecta Pack due to SFT no longer selling it and no longer having the file on storage (if anyone has it on file then send it to me since I did pay for it legally back when it came out). I too am on the forest maze and am really annoyed by the bug. It has to do with the Forest Spirit enemy using the tree monster summon. The maze as it is is irritating and hard to navigate, and I need the last statue before entering the volcano. I'm playing the ROM via GenesisPlusGX for Wii, but want the RPG Trifecta Pack installer/archive since it's legit and they never said we were obliged to delete it once their licenses expired.
    You might have missed the subtle ironic joke that was the first response in this thread from CMA Death Adder. He's SFT. It was his work. Message him.

Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder View Post
    I thought it was pretty good. Script could have used some work.
    Last edited by Knuckle Duster; 12-28-2019 at 10:53 PM.

I didn't hate the game but it was super buggy and caused me to lose my game save. I wasn't about to start all over and I didn't feel safe doing so because I was certain that I'd just lose my save again.

Thread Information