Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why was Beggar Prince hated so much?

I wrote this to Brandon about 6 years ago before the 20th anniversary release of Beggar Prince:
    *Sometimes, there were yellow waterfalls at the houses in the coast village, which if memory serves, was located a bit southeast of the hometown/castle.
    *On the top of the mountain (one of the first dungeons), there was a lot of slowdown going on (made by the numerous rocks which could kill you, I think). This was annoying, as the player only has a few seconds to think and act, or he can get killed.
    *After you have completed the quest on the other continent, where there was a native black tribe, you can return to it, trigger a previous story event of it and lock up the game. This could be fixed by simply blocking the player from entering the place again when you are done there.
    *The player can paint himself into a corner if he overuses the crystal in battle, as it's required in story, I think. So preventing the player from using the crystal more than X times before story event Y or adding some method to recharge it would be good.
    *Perhaps not a bug per se, but if you return to where the cactus boss is after you have defeated him, you can battle and fight him again.

For Legend of Wukong:
    *Not a bug per se, but the difficulty curve is completely broken. You need to grind to level 15 before trying to beat the first dungeon, then the game gets easier and easier until you beat it. All bosses are the exact same - same stats and attack.
    *It's pretty much impossible to lose at the gambling mini game. Or at least I never did and always had more than enough money.
    *Characters who die in battle can resurrect themselves in camp mode afterwards :P.

For Star Odyssey:
    *Not a bug either, but decreasing the encounter rate to about 1/4 and increasing experience points by x4 would make the game a lot better.
    *Due to the game changing enemies depending on your level, you can accidentally level your character too much, so all the enemies in an era become as hard as boss battles. Some other guy reported this here, I don't remember who.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher nihilblack's Avatar

He was hated because he was always begging. Come on, Prince, stop begging!

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pikointeractive View Post
    Hey Guys,

So we acquired the rights of these games.
    That's good to hear, nice to see this stuff staying available.

Maybe if you get the bugs squashed you could sell bare pcbs of the game so people could upgrade their old copies.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Hey Guys,

So we acquired the rights of these games. I've heard reports of them having one or two bugs which get you stuck and you have to restart the console.

Anybody can give us some feedback so we can fix the roms?

Thanks!

Eli
    Wait... why??

Outrunner

Eli, do you think you will be able to secure the rights to Star Cruiser and work with the translation team to release it in English?

I am sure I am not alone when I say there would be a lot of appetite for this title.
    Last edited by crazyteknohed; 03-23-2020 at 03:57 AM.

Hey Guys,

So we acquired the rights of these games. I've heard reports of them having one or two bugs which get you stuck and you have to restart the console.

Thanks!

Eli
    Oh man, I'd love to review all those games as sadly, I never got any super Fighter team releases.
    Please check out my YouTube channel

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    Wait... why??
    You.. don't like bug fixes?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Hey Guys,

Thanks!

Eli
    Any chance that Beggar Prince might get either a HD remaster or port for modern consoles/PC? It'd be absolutely awesome for it to get a similar remaster treatment as Pier Solar did when it was remastered from the MegaDrive to modern consoles/PC, including quality of life changes such as battle speed toggle, new game+.

There's been a famine of classic style jrpgs for the past 10+ years with Pier Solar and Cosmic Star Heroine having highly successful kickstarter campaigns. Wouldn't be such a bad idea to do one for Beggar Prince too to bring it to modern consoles/PC with improvements

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DrLight99 View Post
    Any chance that Beggar Prince might get either a HD remaster or port for modern consoles/PC? It'd be absolutely awesome for it to get a similar remaster treatment as Pier Solar did when it was remastered from the MegaDrive to modern consoles/PC, including quality of life changes such as battle speed toggle, new game+.
    I think the big difference here between Beggar Prince and Pier Solar is that the Beggar Prince source code has been lost. Correct me if I'm wrong. That means they'd probably need to recode the game from scratch for a HD remaster.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    I think the big difference here between Beggar Prince and Pier Solar is that the Beggar Prince source code has been lost. Correct me if I'm wrong. That means they'd probably need to recode the game from scratch for a HD remaster.
    Oof, that sucks if true. The source code is probably as difficult to find as Fonzie.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Even if it wasn't lost, those old games were often asm. Not useful for a port.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

True. And you can bet the source code is not good anyway, considering how buggy the game is. The most they can do is patch the game here and there, like Brandon did.

Thread Information