Quantcast

Page 3 of 34 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Xbox Series X/S (Official Thread)

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Xbone -> Xbox Sex -> ???

Masters of naming.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    It's not nonsense because one simple game will hit it.
    All most all big-budget AAA next-gen games will most run at 60 fps in 4K mind and I'm sure some might even upscale too.
    The RTX 2080 Ti is a 16.1 teraflop GPU. MS is boasting that the GPU in the next Xbox will be 12 teraflops. We’re talking about a GPU closer to an RTX 2080 Super. That GPU isn’t capable of 120 fps at 4K without some serious downgrades in visual settings.

Last edited by gamevet; 12-14-2019 at 08:52 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Howling Wind Force Wildside Expert Kaze Okami's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    The RTX 2080 Ti is a 16.1 teraflop GPU. MS is boasting that the GPU in the next Xbox will be 12 teraflops. We’re talking about a GPU closer to an RTX 2080 Super. That GPU isn’t capable of 120 fps at 4K without some serious downgrades in visual settings.

You're completely ignoring that it's going to use the next-gen RDNA architecture (aka RDNA2) which will yield much higher performance than say 12TF GPU on GCN or the current RDNA architecture. This is why they've gone on record saying that you can't just simply compare and measure this new hardware based just on Terraflops. So this 12TF RDNA2 based GPU WILL be more comparable to a 2080 TI than a Super. Then there's all the hardware accelerated features it will be packing like Variable Rate Shading which can help reduce the work load and maintain high framerates. This is going to be a beastly console.

They also never said 4K at 120FPS. They said it's capable of 120FPS. 4K/60 will be the standard for this hardware but devs will likely be able to offer various performance options so certain games may let you do 120 FPS at 1080P to 1440P for example.
    Last edited by Kaze Okami; 12-14-2019 at 11:55 AM.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

now I'll readily admit to not liking most of xbox, but this system is so terribly planned. the name is far worse than the wii-u. And wanting to cater to both old and new systems with your exclusives is going to be a disaster, since it means the exclusives will have to be downgraded, even on the strongest system because the game needs to be developed with the weakest system in mind.
    Last edited by bultje112; 12-14-2019 at 01:10 PM.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    This image is everywhere on twitter now for Xbox SeX.

From XBone to XSeX. MS has a fetish.
    that picture is fucking hilarious.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    now I'll readily admit to not liking most of xbox, but this system is so terribly planned. the name is far worse than the wii-u. And wanting to cater to both old and new systems with your exclusives is going to be a disaster, since it means the exclusives will have to be downgraded, even on the strongest system because the game needs to be developed with the weakest system in mind.
    It's not Wii U again. That would imply it's additional to the Wii and not a new platform. Xbox is the same platform going forward, across multiple devices which you think is a detriment by holding things back.
    All I can see happening is settings being toggled, with a heavier reliance on cloud streaming for the old consoles to keep up. Microsoft will likely make it a choice as well. Low performance on One S, or balls to the wall "Almost Scarlett" with xCloud once they roll out new blades in their data centers. They are all One now, but it's likely they'll get Scorpios and Scarletts in there as well over time. I wouldn't be surprised if they PR market that kind of upgrade in the future too.

The name sucks and is a missed opportunity. We all expect cool new platforms and names to shake out of the market every cycle, but in the end it's understandable when you accept that "Xbox" isn't the console anymore. The "Series X" or "SX" will be and if people avoid that branding it will just play into the platform as a whole by calling it the new "Xbox." It's safe, and boring. It could be a lot worse, like trying to follow the GPU marketing.

The look of it just reminds me of the MSI Nightblade, or other small PC chassis that I've kicked around over the years.

Master of Shinobi

The 8k 120Hz thing is the theoretical maximum the machine can output. It doesn't state what graphics quality it will achieve it with. they could do 64 player Pacman and still reach 8k resolution.

Also isn't 1080p with 16x supersampling already that resolution? With the increased pixel density of the new TVs, you basically don't need antialiasing, so you can turn that off and get the same performance, in theory. Thing is, it would also look mostly the same.

Also there are a few new hardware features like variable rate shading that can be used to pump more performance out of the chip, which the new gpu is supposedly capable of.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaze Okami View Post
    You're completely ignoring that it's going to use the next-gen RDNA architecture (aka RDNA2) which will yield much higher performance than say 12TF GPU on GCN or the current RDNA architecture. This is why they've gone on record saying that you can't just simply compare and measure this new hardware based just on Terraflops. So this 12TF RDNA2 based GPU WILL be more comparable to a 2080 TI than a Super. Then there's all the hardware accelerated features it will be packing like Variable Rate Shading which can help reduce the work load and maintain high framerates. This is going to be a beastly console.

They also never said 4K at 120FPS. They said it's capable of 120FPS. 4K/60 will be the standard for this hardware but devs will likely be able to offer various performance options so certain games may let you do 120 FPS at 1080P to 1440P for example.
    AMD’s current top of the line GPU (5700XT) is slower than Nvidia’s. last gen 1080 Ti, and that GPU is a few months shy of 3 years old. I highly doubt you will get a massively improved GPU inside of a $500 console. Especially when AMD’s current hardware can’t even match an old GPU from 3 years ago. 4K60 is the more realistic number they should be touting.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-14-2019 at 03:00 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

I want Xbox SeX to have at least the level of Japanese support that 360 had. I will never expect it to have the level Nintendo and Sony get. At least on par with 360 would make me happy. I would like MS to also embrace LRG and similar sites.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

AMD’s current top of the line GPU (5700XT) is slower than Nvidia’s. last gen 1080 Ti, and that GPU is a few months shy of 3 years old. I highly doubt you will get a massively improved GPU inside of a $500 console. Especially when AMD’s current hardware can’t even match an old GPU from 3 years ago. 4K60 is the more realistic number they should be touting.
    You're thinking in the space of stock cards for PC, ignoring the amount of customisation that goes into what consoles get. When the XB1X launched in 2017 it managed to keep to the 6TF mark it had promised the year before with devs likening the GPU inside to a 1070 (which on paper has about 6.5TF of computing power) and this was by using the older GCN architecture which came out back in 2012. This time the Xbox team has been working much closer with AMD on this project, they've been investing billions into them since before the start of this current gen and working together to help develop their DX12 API and it's features for new cards like VRS and Ray Tracing. The fact that the GPU architecture this console is using is brand new and isn't even on the market yet (which shows how closely MS and AMD have been working this time) and accounting for Xbox saying that the GPU in the Series X is twice as powerful as the one in the XB1X (with the Series X itself being 4x faster overall than the XB1X) It's not outside the realm of realism at all to see that it will be closer to a 2080 TI than a Super in terms of performance. But please, continue being an armchair dev. I'll be back to claim your L some time within the next 12 months.

Also last I checked the 2080 TI is about 14TF, not 16.1. The TU102 version is around 16TF but that was never the card the console was being compared to to begin with.
    Last edited by Kaze Okami; 12-14-2019 at 04:37 PM.

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    PS4 and Xbox One were very similar as well. And no there is no Switch pro coming. All they can upgrade 2 is an X2 chip and it's a marginal difference. There is no Tegra chip Nintendo could use. Anything else Nvidia has is not for mobile use. They are introducing an Ampere chip sometime next year but be too expensive at that time for Nintendo to use. Not tomention it would not be natively BC with current Switch games. Its power level would be roughly a base PS4 or Xbox One. When we hit 2022 then we might see a Switch successor. Right now Nvidia is slimming the current Maxwell chips down to be more efficient and battery saving. Also easier to overclock this way which they have been doing. MK11 takes advantage of it.
    But even the X2 does all of the things I mentioned. Or if it can't be done on mobile, they could just build another Switch that doesn't Switch, a home console. Point is I can't see them going another year without 4K support.

Master of Shinobi

It was rumoured that AMD is working on a RDNA2 card that is said to be able to match the 2080.

Quote Originally Posted by zyrobs View Post
    It was rumoured that AMD is working on a RDNA2 card that is said to be able to match the 2080.
    And it's been officially stated that the Series X uses next-gen RDNA architecture, aka, RDNA2 which we will most likely get more info on at CES.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaze Okami View Post
    You're thinking in the space of stock cards for PC, ignoring the amount of customisation that goes into what consoles get. When the XB1X launched in 2017 it managed to keep to the 6TF mark it had promised the year before with devs likening the GPU inside to a 1070 (which on paper has about 6.5TF of computing power) and this was by using the older GCN architecture which came out back in 2012. This time the Xbox team has been working much closer with AMD on this project, they've been investing billions into them since before the start of this current gen and working together to help develop their DX12 API and it's features for new cards like VRS and Ray Tracing. The fact that the GPU architecture this console is using is brand new and isn't even on the market yet (which shows how closely MS and AMD have been working this time) and accounting for Xbox saying that the GPU in the Series X is twice as powerful as the one in the XB1X (with the Series X itself being 4x faster overall than the XB1X) It's not outside the realm of realism at all to see that it will be closer to a 2080 TI than a Super in terms of performance. But please, continue being an armchair dev. I'll be back to claim your L some time within the next 12 months.

Also last I checked the 2080 TI is about 14TF, not 16.1. The TU102 version is around 16TF but that was never the card the console was being compared to to begin with.
    The GPU inside of the One X was based around the RX 480 and is said to have the same amount of power as the RX 580. It's slightly faster than the 6GB GTX 1060 and will sometimes match a 1070 on a rare occasion. Still, AMD's driver support has had quite a bad history of being extremely slow at being updated. What they call fine wine, is them finally getting the most out of the GPUs, long after they have become irrelevant.

We've heard all of these same rumours back with the Vega GPUs and the Navi GPUs and they've never lived up to the hype.

I brought up the 2080 Ti, because the next Xbox is being touted as having 12 Tereflops of performance and having games running at 4K/120. I was pointing out that even the $1,200 2080 Ti wasn't capable of doing that with most games, and it is quite a bit more powerful than 12TF. The RTX 2080 Super is a 10.1 TF single precision GPU, that is more than capable of handling 4k/60, but most definitely not 4K/120 without some serious downgrades in graphics settings.
    Last edited by gamevet; 12-14-2019 at 07:31 PM.

The Future is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingESWAT Veteran Leynos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    But even the X2 does all of the things I mentioned. Or if it can't be done on mobile, they could just build another Switch that doesn't Switch, a home console. Point is I can't see them going another year without 4K support.
    DS was getting Call of Duty & Assasin's Creed ports. It will be fine. No one expects most AAA games on Switch anyway. Even the ports it will get, engines are more scalable than ever. Still have a ton of indie and Japanese support. What most people buy on it.
    Last edited by Leynos; 12-14-2019 at 07:28 PM.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Thread Information