Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A little help modding Doom for the 32X

Outrunner

Hi! I cannot belive I mised the post. It is amazing to see some love for 32X DooM. There is any advance for this?

Quote Originally Posted by Diogo Ribeiro View Post
    Also, just for fun for now:

i just saw this, and damn i was so disappointed to see the cuts made to the 32x version. I really wanted to take on the cyberdemon and spider mastermind. imagine my surprise when i rented the snes version as a kid and saw those 2 enemies in it! i had the jag version too and was pissed that had cuts as well when i first played it.

awesome work!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Sorry for the shameless plug but: https://www.sega-16.com/forum/showth...877#post873877

Maybe I shouldn't mention this but, I found certain revisions of Slackware provide the gcc revision in the backup copy of the makefile.bak file (gcc263). It's still maybe necessary to build gcc-2.6.3 and binutils for cross 68k but it might make things easier depending on user preference. These are the Slackware revisions:

Code:
    Slackware 2.2.0
    Slackware 2.3

I know these two mirrors:
    http://slackware.uk/slackware/
    https://mirror.lyrahosting.com/slackware/
    A good description of building Doom for Atari Jaguar is here https://www.retrovideogamer.co.uk/fo...p?topic=7056.0.

EDIT:
    Also need a macro assembler and linker like: rmac + rln, smac + sln, mac + aln, etc.
    Guide from retrovideogamer didn't add the necessary path line if used from D.O.S.:
    Code:
    set PATH=%PATH%;C:\JAGUAR\BIN;C:\JAGUAR\BIN\M68k\2.6
    Last edited by vexatious; 04-18-2021 at 10:37 PM. Reason: added missing information

Can't say but I guess building MARS target is somewhat difficult. I managed to build Jaguar target under freedos with gcc-2.6.3 from a Atari Jaguar toolchain. But according to the makefile it appears to be for a different system like a Unix or Unix clone, and there's the makefile.bak. You can see the "clean" procedure starts "rm" to delete *.o files according to the makefile, but "rm" isn't provided with D.O.S.. Some instructions from atariage forum users also use long file names for using the windows command line which isn't normally possible under D.O.S.. The jaguar target doesn't link with aln if built with the Sega Saturn toolchain gcc-2.7.5 (wrong format error) from the 1995 DTS CD, but the objects compile.

These inconsistencies tell me either the code for the Doom program was unauthentically decompiled and/or it was arranged for a Unix or Unix clone local host and then quickly altered to build under an incomplete IBM D.O.S. local host.

The following O.S. systems were recently supported around the same time of gcc-2.6.0:
    Code:
    Noteworthy changes in GCC version 2.6.1:

Numerous (mostly minor) bugs have been fixed.

The following new configurations are supported:

GNU on x86 (instead of treating it like MACH)
            NetBSD on Sparc and Motorola 68k
            AIX 4.1 on RS/6000 and PowerPC systems
            Sequent DYNUX/ptx 1.x and 2.x.
            Both COFF and ELF configurations on AViiON without using /bin/gcc
            Windows/NT on x86 architecture; preliminary
            AT&T DSP1610 digital signal processor chips
            i960 systems on bare boards using COFF
            PDP11; target only and not extensively tested
    Code:
    Both NeXTStep 2.1 and 3 are supported on 68k-based architectures
    - GAS and GDB is supported for Irix 5 (MIPS).
    NetBSD is supported on m68k, Intel x86, and pc523 systems and FreeBSD on x86.
    'g++' program is now a C program, rather than a shell script.
    Assuming the code is authentic you might want to consider:
    Code:
    NeXtStep 2.1 & 3
    Irix 5
    System 7.5 for Apple 68K (Macintosh Programmer's Workshop)
    Linux upload from 4th quarter 1994 or first quarter 1995
    Might get around to making a new makefile for vbcc users under Windows 8.1 but I need time and my situation is too dangerous to predict things at times. Oh well...

Here's a github project to make things a little more doable for MARS target currently https://github.com/viciious/d32xr

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

"vbcc users under Windows 8.1" don't exist. There's just you. If you had followed the advice I gave you ages ago - buy a laptop for 20$, install Linux - you'd have made tremendously more progress. I really don't understand why you keep hitting your head against a wall, on purpose, year after year.

Thread Information