Quantcast

Thread: Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Default Star Wars IX: The Rise of Skywalker

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Agreed...these new movies watch like they were making it up as they went along. Did they have any notions of what they wanted to happen in these movies prior to them being filmed? There's no cohesive thread between the new trilogy and the original trilogy. The characters aren't really developed, the plot points are scattered, and so much of both movies just feels like they're doing the Original Trilogy over again.

It's the same plot points over, and over, and over again. Isn't anyone ashamed of this at Disney? Honestly Star Wars will always be the Original Trilogy, and some amazing books released in the Bantam Spectra era. Everything else is not worth it.

Both The Force Awakens and The Last Jedi suck. And Disney will not be getting my money to see Episode IX.
    I told myself I would not go pay to see this movie...but my friends and I cannot help ourselves, we are once again going to see the final episode of the newest Star Wars Trilogy next weekend. I don't even know what to think at this point considering the trailers and the leaks of Palpatine shooting force lightning that were on Reddit a little ways ago. I don't know a damn thing about the plot of this movie. I watch the trailer and I'm still baffled as to what this movie could even possibly be about after the way Star Wars VIII ended. Palpatine is back? Is the plot basically a rehash of the Dark Empire comic series from the 90s? Will there be clones? What will Rey do? What will Ben do? Will they showdown? Who really is the bad guy now the Snoke is dead? What about that annoying Moff that Kylo Ren used to push around? Will Adam Driver continue to look like an emo college student in Star Wars?

What is everyone's thoughts? Am I just a sucker for paying to see another mediocre Star Wars movie, simply longing for the old days, like playing a Sonic the Hedgehog game from the mid-2000s?
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Not seen it. Likely never will but for what it's worth. It's the 3rd lowest rated Star Wars film. Lower than the prequels. Around the 50% range on Rotten Tomatoes. So depends on how much faith you put into reviews.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I refuse to watch it. Star Wars is dead to me unless Disney sells the property to somebody who actually knows what they're doing. Give it back to Lucas for fucks sake. The Star Wars prequels are cinematic art compared to the absolute shite that Disney has been pumping out. Get rid of all this woke, feminist PC bollocks and get back to the basics. Do I have a problem with female characters and minorities in a Star Wars film? Fuck no, but at least make them likeable and give them interesting backgrounds. If you're going to bombard us with every woke PC trick in the book, then at least have the good manners to include, y'know, a coherent plot and a decent screenplay, it makes it so much more interesting for the viewer!

I think I won't even bother downloading it.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Never saw the sequels, regret letting my friends drag me to the prequels.

Original Trilogy 4 life! (the actual unedited films, not the remastered crap)

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I super donít care about this one. I canít imagine seeing it in the theaters. Good job ruining the franchise, Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post

What is everyone's thoughts? Am I just a sucker for paying to see another mediocre Star Wars movie, simply longing for the old days, like playing a Sonic the Hedgehog game from the mid-2000s?
    Don't be THAT guy and waste your money. The leaks pointed to garbage and the premier confirmed it. Disney used to be ubiquitous with quality yet was able to do something no one else was able to do in over forty years: Make a film(s) worse than the abortion known as the '78 Xmas Special.

The trilogy had zero cohesiveness and was made by those flying by the seat of their pants.

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

I like Kylo Renn, I think he's a good character. I like Po, I think he's charismatic and likeable, I quite like Finn too.

I don't like the way that the 2nd movie about turned all the plot points from the first, it made it pointless, particularly how Snoke died so suddenly. All that pointless expensive CGI work for nothing!

It feels like a group of too many people are throwing their ideas in and everyone says yes. The crappiest thing in the footage I've seen so far is the two blades on 'Evil Rey's' light sabre: It does nothing as an image, and just exemplifies the whole 'more is more' outlook this franchise has developed ny attempting to 'improve' on all those classic shots of the same image.

I'll wait for the budget Blu Ray of this one.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by cleeg View Post
    I don't like the way that the 2nd movie about turned all the plot points from the first, it made it pointless, particularly how Snoke died so suddenly. All that pointless expensive CGI work for nothing!
    Snoke is actually a perfect example of how hollow this crap was from the start. His name is literally just Snake with a single letter changed so that he sounds like a Harry Potter reject. That's all the thought that ever went into his character beyond "we need a discount Palpatine for our blatant Chinese knock-offs of the OT".

It was never more than a cardboard stand-in for Palpatine, and Rian kicked it over (and that's why Jar Jar Abrams ran home to mommy and brought the Emperor back). That doesn't absolve TLJ of being an exercise in utter contempt for all things Star Wars, but I'm not going to fault his contempt for TFA beyond the fact that it was still his job to make something of it instead of burn it to the ground.

I watched it last saturday and had a good time, it was better then 8 but they crammed to much stuff into it. 8 raped the Poe character and it is difficult to like him know. It is a mess of a movie but it feels more like star wars then 8 or even 7 . I hate the fact that they rehash the old movies everytie . It is pretty boring. Sadly the prequels are better movies even with the horrible acting from the main leads.

I saw it a few days ago. I had a good time, but I think I'm done with Star Wars now. Not that it's bad, I just wish to spend my time watching something else since there is so much other good stuff in other genres to enjoy out there.

To me, it feels like the first movie was a rehash of A New Hope, and this one a rehash of Return of the Jedi, while The Last Jedi was a filler between them and not really necessary, though they just had to make three movies to follow "the pattern". On a positive note, I think most if not all characters grew on me with this film, especially Rey, which felt like a Mary Sue before. Adam Driver is really a cool actor, but he sounds like he's rheumy. They should have swapped his voice, like they did with that red devil guy with the Donatello light saber from the prequels.

Question: Am I the only one who thought Palpatine was full of shit about Rey being his granddaughter, and that Luke and Leia were her real parents?
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Saw the movie on Saturday night, and while I still disliked the movie, I think Abrams for the most part attempted to clean up the messes that were both Episodes 7 and 8, which clearly had no sense of plot or coherency. I'm with Zebbe however that the entire movie was a rehash of Return of the Jedi, much like Episode 7 was a rehash of A New Hope. My thoughts:

The character development for all of the characters were lackluster. Since Snoke was killed off with no plot development in Ep VIII, the only thing for Abrams to do was bring back the Emperor as the big bad villain, which leaves a gaping plot hole as to wonder how he survived in the first place, let alone had the resources to build an entire fleet of planet-destroying star destroyers hidden on some backwater planet, built by his loyal cult followers. Episode 8 was essentially retconned, with the romance between Finn and Jo not even being explored in this movie, and Poe's character left to basically being a backbencher for the entire movie, despite being made head of the "Resistance." The scene with the dagger was outright ridiculous, and it remains to be seen why a Sith "Wayfinder" would be hidden on the Death Star remains anyway, which despite being completely obliterated was used as a place to hide some random device. How did Luke not know to explore there after 40 years?

The entire arc of the movie again was also a mimic of Return of the Jedi. The temptation of Kylo Ren to Rey to defeat the Emperor and join the dark side and rule the galaxy. The huge showdown of the Resistance fleet against the "First Order" fleet at the end, in a Millennium Falcon piloted by Lando Calrissian joined by Wedge Antilles. The embrace with no consequences to any of the main characters on the unnamed resistance planet, and Chewbacca actually gets a medal for his heroism this time.

The main plot points of IX as well were lifted from two of the worst parts of the Expanded Universe: Dark Empire, which essentially had Emperor Palpatine's clones come back and attempt to suck the lifeforce out of Leia's twin children Jacen and Jaina, instead here in Ep IX the Emperor attempts to live forever by possessing Rey through an evil act, or simply sucking the life force out of her and Ben Solo anyway. Additionally, the idea that Rey is the Emperor's grandaughter was lifted from the Glove of Darth Vader young adult series, an unfinished book series for pre-teens that told the story of a young boy who was raised on a remote plane by droids and was the Emperor's grandson, while an imposter son searched for the Glove of Darth Vader to possess enough power to rule the Imperial Remnant. Meanwhile, its clear in Episode IX that the Mask of Darth Vader holds considerable power, and they go on a chase for the MacGuffin of the Sith Wayfinder for control of the galaxy's secrets on the Sith Planet of Exegar. Again, this has a huge plothole of why the Emperor's own son was a nobody who was kidnapped and killed, and why Rey was trying to be kidnapped in the first place.

Overall, Episode IX was the worst of the EU combined with a remake of Return of the Jedi. With all of the EU that Disney could have literally taken from to make the sequel trilogy, they somehow managed to take the worst parts and combine them with a lazy remake of Return of the Jedi. Utterly bizarre, but it all reeked of being ultimately for the cash. No real new villains, unique characters, or real consequences. While it was much more entertaining than the first two movies, in that the action was faster-paced, there was no Jump the Shark scenes, like Leia force-willing herself to the front of a Starship after being blasted into space, and it was easier to understand the threat at hand, it still does not hold a candle to the combination of good directing and creativity of the Original Trilogy.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Thread Information