Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Confirmed. SEGA Saturn 2 once existed.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Yes that's was the interview. So maybe the part about "differencies in some Model 3 games" was added during translations by other magazine...

Too bad that it never happened, of course it was impossible to reach 1:1 model 3 graphics with a simple add-on, but I think it could've achieved a similar graphics.
    Many rumors talked about the Virtua Fighter 3 port with 3D background, and Shenmue Saturn was amazing, better than some PSX title we seen at the end of the 32 bit era.

If only Saturn had little more success...

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    The success that Nintendo had with including extra chips in-cartridge shows that it could work, though. And of course Sega had plenty of games that made use of the RAM expansion. I doubt it could get to Model 3 levels of quality, but it seems that it was sufficient to overcome whatever hurdles the Shenmue team had encountered.
    With Nintendo, their games, that had extra chips didn't cost more than a standard game, whereas with SEGA their SVP made VR hugely expensive and their add-on like the 32X or Mega CD was expensive. Trying to give the Saturn Model 3 like visuals weren't going to be cheap.
    Also, There was an interview with an old website called the next level and I seem to recall AM#2 saying all the footage that was shown off of Shenmue on the Saturn was done a stock Saturn. To me, those visuals would have been good enough for a 32Bit RPG

But it was SEGA and they were nuts and loved to use the latest tech. But with the upcoming DC project, I saw no need for a hugely expensive add-on that would only work for a few games and where the battle was lost anyway,
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    Many rumors talked about the Virtua Fighter 3 port with 3D background, and Shenmue Saturn was amazing, better than some PSX title we seen at the end of the 32 bit era.
    I'm not a fan of comparing an unfinished game to a finished game, I don't see it fair or where one can gage a comparable performance. I wonder how well Shenmue would have run on the Saturn if it was finished and they had to handle player controls and player camera movement Ect.

Its so sad we never see how well Saturn Sonic Adv and Shenmue would have looked and run. In a Sega Ages interview, Rieko Kodama also confirmed that Skies of Arcadia started life as a Saturn project too.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Also, There was an interview with an old website called the next level and I seem to recall AM#2 saying all the footage that was shown off of Shenmue on the Saturn was done a stock Saturn. To me, those visuals would have been good enough for a 32Bit RPG
    Yep, AM2 staff said that Shenmue Saturn footage used a stock Saturn.
    I wonder if it's still true, and if there is another version of Shenmue Saturn with the 3D accelator, things are getting a little confusing.

I'm not a fan of comparing an unfinished game to a finished game, I don't see it fair or where one can gage a comparable performance. I wonder how well Shenmue would have run on the Saturn if it was finished and they had to handle player controls and player camera movement Ect.

Its so sad we never see how well Saturn Sonic Adv and Shenmue would have looked and run. In a Sega Ages interview, Rieko Kodama also confirmed that Skies of Arcadia started life as a Saturn project too.
    So many cancelled/moved projects
    With games like VF3, Sonic Jam as a complete game, Shenmue Saturn etc. the final years of Saturn could've been amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    So many cancelled/moved projects
    With games like VF3, Sonic Jam as a complete game, Shenmue Saturn etc. the final years of Saturn could've been amazing.
    I expect games to be moved up to the new system, I only wish SEGA did that with some of the Mega Drive games like Comix Zone, Streets Of Rage 3 Ect. I would have rathered saw Deep Fear moved up to DC production too, but to me, Sonic Adv should have come out on the Saturn and the project should have started long before the end of 1995
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Outrunner

Sorry but most of that article is bullshit, using 25 year old long since debunked Edge articles and an ancient thread from 2012. I seem to recall that members of nspace (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N-Space) ( all of whom were former GE/LMC engineers who worked on the Model 2 Tank game) were asked in an interview about LMC's involvement in a potential Saturn 2 and they said that LMC were eliminated from running at an early stage as their tech was going to be too expensive to be incorporated in to the system. I can't find the actual interview but I seem to recall it was in a magazine like EDGE or similar. There was actually another "Saturn2" project that was started by SOA and Nvidia called the Saturn V08 or Nvidia NV2 project, you can google both of these and find info on it, it has also been mentioned on Sega-16 in interviews and in the "Blast Processing" section in the forums

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...-Saturn/page24

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Hey TA, I read that interview you posted from Mean Machines Sega (great mag!) with SOE's Andy Mee back in '96 and this line from him caught my eye, "We have the view that in ten years time the shape of video game entertainment will be radically different." Prophetic words indeed... Back in 1996 it was just unimaginable, especially here in the UK, that by 2006 Sega would be reduced to only being a software company.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I just appreciate when people post this stuff so I don't have to go looking for it. So thank you! This is what Im here for, just look around and read interesting stuff on what I enjoy in my spare time.

There was an interview with an old website called the next level
    Please tell me about the old website called next level. What was the URL name? Where is it now? What else was available on the webpage? Where can I find it?

Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by vexatious View Post
    Please tell me about the old website called next level. What was the URL name? Where is it now? What else was available on the webpage? Where can I find it?

Thanks.
    https://www.the-nextlevel.com/features/interviews/am2/

European Correspondent Ali and his associate Heidi Kemps (a.k.a. Zero-chan) bring us this second Sega developer interview straight from Japan. Very special thanks to Taku Kihara (AM2 PR team) and Shin Ishikawa (Shenmue II Xbox team leader) for taking the time to talk with us.

TNL: First of all we would like to congratulate you on a great year and wish you the best for the new year.
    A: AM2: Thank you.

Q: What kind of games do you enjoy playing yourself?
    A: I like action games like Mario or RPGs like Dragon Quest.

Q: Have you worked on the previous DC Shenmue games?
    A: I have worked on all Shenmue versions.

Q: Can you tell us a little bit more about the unreleased Saturn version? How long had it been worked on, and did it use the experimental Saturn expansion cartridge or the 4meg RAM card?
    A: Nearly two years of work was put in the Saturn version. It didnít use a booster cartridge nor did it use the 4meg RAM card, so yes, the game was programmed for, and the footage seen as an extra on Shenmue II is from the code running on a stock Saturn.

Q: Wow, thatís very impressive! Is the Shenmue series likely to continue on the XBox?
    A: Maybe, However, I donít know yet if I will be the one producing them.

Q: Why on the Xbox?
    A: The hardware is very powerful, so that makes it easier for us to realize our visions for the series.

Q: Shenmue II was AM2's first Xbox project. What do you think of the hardware compared to other high-end hardware like Naomi 2 - which AM2 is working with, and how does the Xbox compare to Naomi 2?
    A: They are both high-spec machines. Xbox has a little bit more trouble with transparencies, but overall I think they are comparable technology-wise. Each has their own weaknesses and strengths, but I wouldnít say that overall one has the edge on the other.

Q: Why did you decide to package Shenmue: the Movie with the game?
    A: We knew that there would be players new to the series and we wanted them to get a feel for the story. And also as a memory boost for those who had played it when it first came out.

Q: Is there a possibility of Shenmue II being released outside of the U.S.?
    A: Yes, Microsoft has already picked it up for release in Europe. As for other markets, we can't comment on that right now.

Q: Did you have any trouble converting Shenmue II to the Xbox?
    A: Apart from the aforementioned difficulty with transparencies, no, not really. The Xbox was easy to work with.

Q: How long did it take to convert the game?
    A: The entire project took eight months, which is quite short for a game this big.

Q: Can you tell us more about how the chapters relate to the game, like which chapters are included in Shenmue II and which will be included in the prequel and eventual sequels?
    (At this point Mr. Ishikawa gets up and writes the timeline on the board, so check the attached picture for a timeline of the chapters.)

Q: Ah, Chapter 2 is not in either game - thatís the chapter on the boat, right? Was this chapter ever planned to be made for either the DC or the Xbox?
    A: No, we never intended to include that chapter in either game.

Q: The European DC version of Shenmue II was the most imported game in the U.S. ever, so much so that it must have eaten into some of the sales of the Xbox version. How did you feel about that?
    A: We are happy that so many people felt so strongly about the game that they wanted to import it. It was proof that the fanbase for the game is very strong and helped us in the decision to make more Shenmue games.

Q: About Shenmue III then: I see that it will start from Chapter 7. Will it take place in China as well?
    A: Yes, Shenmue III will be in China as well. Those of you who have finished the second one know that the story will expand enormously, and we will try to incorporate many exciting elements of Chinese culture et cetera into the game.

Q: Interesting. Will it be entirely in China or will Ryo leave China at some point?
    A: I'm afraid we can't give that sort of information yet.

Q: When can we expect Shenmue III and further sequels to release?
    A: That has not been decided yet.

Q: Okay, aren't you afraid that if you take a long time between the games that interest in the series will dwindle down?
    A: The series continues because of very strong fan requests. The fans want them, so we make them. We can't say yet when the sequels will be released, but we will do our best to not let the fans down. So, I would like to say to the fans: please look forward to more Shenmue games on Xbox.

Q: Thank you. How do you feel about the entire series and all chapters (including those not yet released)?
    A: I can't answer that at this point, I'd need to see how Shenmue III turns out first.

Q: Years ago, before Shenmue I, there were rumours about a Virtua Fighter RPG. That turned out to be Shenmue III. How has Virtua Fighter influenced Shenmue?
    A: We incorporated moves and fighting styles from VF in Shenmue, so we took some of the martial arts themes and settings and used those in the game as well.

Q:There are a lot of rumours circulating about the Xbox-based Chihiro arcade hardware. Can you tell us more about that and about eventual further Xbox plans?
    A: (Takuan replies) At the moment we can only confirm Virtua Cop 3. We would rather not discuss more at this point.

Q: Sega anounced a slew of remakes of older games for PS2 and Xbox recently. Will we see any older AM2 games added to those, and who decides wich games get the make over?
    A: We decide which games get remade together with our partners.

Q: Nice, what about remakes of AM2 games for Xbox then?
    A: If there is enough demand by fans to release a remake of a certain game, we will try oure best to accommodate.

Thank you both very much! I'm sure Shenmue fans worldwide will appreciate this interview.

Feedback and flames (as always) are welcome at ali@the-nextlevel.com. Note: This interview was conducted for TNL and BeGN (http://www.begn.be) by Ali and Zero.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vexatious View Post

Thanks.
    It still exists, only as a forum. I've been a member of those forums for what seems like forever. They just turned off the ability for new members to join, because of all of the people joining just to spam the forums.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Thread Information