Quantcast

Thread: Canon: Legends of the New Gods, short review

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Default Canon: Legends of the New Gods, short review

Having finished Warsong a couple days ago, I needed something else before jumping into the translated Langrisser II. So from the backlog, Canon, a recent-ish Piko title it was.

It's a tactical/turn-based strategy RPG, unlicensed from 1996 Taiwan. A reincarnated servant spirit is off without his memory, searching for treasure and wealth while maybe saving the world.

The intro sequence almost turned me off the game. The text and text box colors were badly chosen, such that they bleed into each other when viewed on composite (yes, I need a RGB cable, but retro-access is closed til Jan 5). The text went by slightly too fast, and did not wait for button presses; story seemed typically Eastern, lots of names, not a lot of action. The summons/spells were very pretty, often full screen and also very Eastern style, House of flying swords, dragons and such. The intro doesn't really show what the gameplay is like luckily, in-game the text waits for your button press.

I'm about 14h into the game now. The difficulty is very high, not in the grindy sense but such that you occasionally need to try many different tactics to beat a mission. I'm into this type of games, having S-ranked every Advance Wars title, but even I have a hard time with this game. Some missions are very annoying, with respawning enemies forcing you to quickly run and sacrifice units to get to the goal. Others are chill and just how it should be.

The art is mostly very nice. The backgrounds especially are good, sometimes hard to believe it's so few colors. However the lava level was atrocious to look at, it hurt my eyes. The sprites are meh to good. Summons are good-looking.

Music is decent, sometimes good, not memorable though. SFX are workable.

Then some issues. Like Warsong and Shining Force, it suffers from the "old RPG syndrome", where many things are just not explained in-game, leaving you to search the manual or even resort to googling. That sucks, when the Gen generation certainly did not have the NES's space limits as an excuse. More so, when there are approx. zero google results for Canon, lol. I didn't try searching in Chinese, perhaps there would be a FAQ or two in that language.

It also has bugs. Whenever there's a lot of text coming up, all sprites glitch. The world map's English names sometimes don't fit their box, or even the entire screen. Some translations don't make sense. And worst of all, I've hit two crashing bugs so far. Both happen when you use certain summons in a certain place on screen, turning the screen into a corrupted mess of tiles and crashing the game. (I also hit one serious bug in Warsong btw, the game hangs in the mission where you start all at the right edge, if you have eight commanders and all of them have eight units. It can't find a spot to place them all and hangs eternally. How the fsck did they not catch that?)

Summary
    Art: good to very good
    Music/sfx: ok to good
    Play: very hard, buggy
    6/10

(for comparison, I rate Warsong 7 and SF 1 and 2 7.5; the Nintendo Wars series clusters around 9)

Oh, one addition: just like Warsong and SF, this game expects you to use the enemies' range information when making your moves. And like those games, it has no way of displaying that range. That's a very annoying quality-of-life issue all of them share, compare it with the Wars series where you can view enemies' stats, moving and attacking ranges with a button press.

The respawning enemies made me quit playing this game after a few missions since the respawn begun. Did you finish the game? If yes how many scenarios are there in total?

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    If yes how many scenarios are there in total?

There're 32 battles in total:

1 Mt. Fu Valley 1
    2 Mt. Fu Valley 2
    3 Logan City Dungeon
    4 Mt. Fu Valley 3
    5 Fei Zhong Estate 1
    6 Fei Zhong Estate 2
    7 Inside Chao Ze City
    8 Tong Pass Grasslands
    9 Ziyang Temple
    10 Sea Dragon Cave
    11 Underground Training Hall
    12 Mountain of Sacred Spirits
    13 Pan Creek
    14 Cave of Fire
    15 Mt. Qi Lin
    16 Green Dragon Pass
    17 Lotus Garden
    18 Peach Blossom Grove
    19 Mountain of Myriad Beasts
    20 Chong Underground Jail
    21 Isle of Nine Dragons
    22 Xiqi City Great Hall
    23 Jiameng Pass (1)
    24 Jiameng Pass (2)
    25 Kunlun Mountain
    26 Plane of the Heavenly Gate
    27 Golden Turtle Isle
    28 Xiqi Hall
    29 Meng Lu
    30 Outer Walls of Chao Ze
    31 Zhou Palace (1)
    32 Zhou Palace (2)

When I wrote that review, I was in Mountain of Myriad Beasts, and now I'm at Jiameng Pass 2. There aren't respawning enemies in every mission, only in those the designers wanted to annoy you extra much.

Beat the game, about 26h total. Zebbe was mentioned in the credits.

The later levels didn't change much. The final boss was nice though, with the exception of how he dies, that was anticlimactic. With the pretty summons, I expected a mighty hadoken or something.

Ah yes, I tested the game and rewrote the script. Spent a massive amount of time to make it as good as I possibly could. Too bad I didn't catch the bugs you found. Sorry about that.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Eh, not your fault, it's Piko's responsibility really. If you were the only tester, that'd be bad.

Thread Information