Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Project Lunar has launched!

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I picked up a retrobit 6-button wireless controller, and I'm really impressed with it. Playing the mini like this is really nice. This little rig is a perfect travel kit for business trips Etc. I really can't recommend that 2.4GHz wireless controller enough. Really enjoying it. It comes with dongles for USN & standard genesis. It's quite impressive.

Road Rasher

Im not a big fan of the m2 emulator. I hacked my mini, and started playing nhl 94, the game has a glitch the goalies get stuck backwards and you score easy. Tried xenocrisis, doesnt detect 6 buttin controller and sound is weird. They need to replace the stock emulator with genesis gx, if possible.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Im not a big fan of the m2 emulator. I hacked my mini, and started playing nhl 94, the game has a glitch the goalies get stuck backwards and you score easy. Tried xenocrisis, doesnt detect 6 buttin controller and sound is weird. They need to replace the stock emulator with genesis gx, if possible.
    Make sure "6 button hack" is checked when putting XenoCrisis on the mini. It forces 6 button mode.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

True to my word, I gifted my SFC hacked console--helluva rig BTW--and got a Genesis Mini and threw Project Lunar (PL) on there. First impressions were it's "OK", but I still prefer Hakch2CE for modding. Anyway, I can confirm Retroarch plays the Genesis games better.

PS - Genesis should reach out to Steve Snake because Kega is still the best Sega emulator out there. I still test with it to this day.

Outrunner

I uninstalled PL yesterday and tried the new Hakchi instead.

Things it does better than PL:

- You can disable the splash screen so the unit looks stock upon boot
    - It doesnít have links to Retroarch, Project Lunar etc in the game list, again making it look stock
    - Itís possible to hide stock games. Great for owners of the Jp version to get rid of the silly quiz game and unplayable RPGs (and in the case of Langrisser 2 & Rent-a-Hero, install translated versions and NOT have two versions in the game list a la PL)

Things PL does better:

- User added ROMs feature descriptions just like stock games do, so selecting/starting a game looks stock unlike Hakchi which just boots straight into any added ROMs
    - Scraping of boxart is MUCH better than Hakchi. Hakchi almost always finds only low-res images and in many cases these are the wrong region
    - Spine art again is far better than Hakchi

Ultimately there is still not a clear winner but at this point I think I would prefer PL if I could hide those damn stock games. Really gets my OCD going seeing two versions of the translated games in the menu, not to mention the links and boot screen popping up and reminding me itís a hacked unit. Hopefully competition between the two will result in a more polished product all around and then I can sleep easy.

Apologies if I come across as ungrateful as in all honesty I am so thankful there are these people out there pushing the boundaries and enabling us to enjoy hacking and customising our Mini systems.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    I uninstalled PL yesterday and tried the new Hakchi instead.

Things it does better than PL:

- You can disable the splash screen so the unit looks stock upon boot
    - It doesnít have links to Retroarch, Project Lunar etc in the game list, again making it look stock
    - Itís possible to hide stock games. Great for owners of the Jp version to get rid of the silly quiz game and unplayable RPGs (and in the case of Langrisser 2 & Rent-a-Hero, install translated versions and NOT have two versions in the game list a la PL)

Things PL does better:

- User added ROMs feature descriptions just like stock games do, so selecting/starting a game looks stock unlike Hakchi which just boots straight into any added ROMs
    - Scraping of boxart is MUCH better than Hakchi. Hakchi almost always finds only low-res images and in many cases these are the wrong region
    - Spine art again is far better than Hakchi.
    I agree with all of this. I actually have stuck with Hakchi because of the ability to hide the games I don't want from the default list and I feel it is much easier to install the other cores and select the games to use them vs PL. Although I do see that the lastest PL has made this process easier. But you did forget one thing that is also pretty huge here..

Hakchi support custom folder layouts and PL still does not. So when my GenMini boots up I get 3 icons. Genesis, 32x, and SegaCD. Opening up Genesis I then get more folders broken out by Alpha letters so...A, B, C...etc. Opening up the alpha letter folder will give me the games that start with that letter of course. My 32x and SegaCD folders do not have that since I don't have more than 100 games in either of those.

And that is another interesting fact for both PL and Hakchi. Neither suggest having more than 100 files in a single folder because it will cause slowdowns in the menu and I guess lockups etc? I've never exceeded this personally so don't know. I also like the fact that with Hakchi you don't even have to connect your GenMini to your PC. Just pop in the USB flashdrive you are using into your PC and export the changes to it. Plug it back into the GenMini and your changes are there. PL still requires the GenMini to be connected even when using USB storage. So again Hakchi still has the slight edge on some features that I find useful and needed over PL. I do agree that game scraping and artwork is MUCH easier on PL than Hakchi. I actually grabbed all new high res images from Coverproject and cropped and resized as needed for Hakchi. I also redid a bunch of the logos into transparent PNGs for spine art use in Hakchi. That took me about 1.5days to go through and do.

To be fair, even if slow downs weren't a problem (are they?), I don't think I'd want to browse a list with over 100 items with a D-padÖ (it's already messy enough as it is with a keyboard)

Outrunner

I guess it comes down to what people want from the system; I donít want hundreds of games on it, nor do I particularly desire CD or 32X games on there. All I want is a few additional games and the ability to change some of the more impenetrable Jp games for English-friendly titles, hence why it never occurred to me to mention the folder handling (or lack thereof), whereas for you thatís clearly an important factor.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyteknohed View Post
    I guess it comes down to what people want from the system; I donít want hundreds of games on it, nor do I particularly desire CD or 32X games on there. All I want is a few additional games and the ability to change some of the more impenetrable Jp games for English-friendly titles, hence why it never occurred to me to mention the folder handling (or lack thereof), whereas for you thatís clearly an important factor.
    Well, since the cores to play 32x and SegaCD work so well and in some cases play the games better vs the default M2 emulator I thought it would be cool to have a bunch of the Genesis era games I would want to play in a small all in one like device. Honestly my plan is to take the Gens mini with me on trips sometimes instead of other things I might bring along. I've also got one of the larger Megadrive cases on order for mine coming from Jpn to put it into.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    To be fair, even if slow downs weren't a problem (are they?), I don't think I'd want to browse a list with over 100 items with a D-padÖ (it's already messy enough as it is with a keyboard)
    They could just add hotkeys to browse faster (like move 10 by 10 or whatever).

Thread Information