Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Genesis Mini Sales

Wildside Expert

Default Genesis Mini Sales

Has anyone heard any info regarding sales figures for the Genesis Mini? I'm curious as to how sales went in its first few months. My feeling is that they were lower than expected since I see numerous listings on Ebay for around $40 new.

If it underperformed I would not be surprised. While us enthusiasts know it's the highest quality plug & play Genesis made so far, most consumers likely see it as nothing different than the ATGames junk that has been on store shelves for the past decade.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

It seems to be doing well in Japan. Some big electronics stores were sold out before Christmas. That's where Sega put the most effort into advertising it.

Master of Shinobi

I wondered that too. AtGames surely fucked them over in terms of reputation if it was underperformed, that I always suspected. I got one for Christmas to compliment my NES and SNES Minis, and I am happy about it. No problems so far. Also glad to see them being opened minded in using SGDK to create the Darius port. That's SEGA, always taking risks that Nintendo wouldn't normally do, for better or worse. The Big N makes quality products, no doubt, but they are still behind in many ways.

The Best Genesis Master of Shinobi GohanX's Avatar

I have no idea, but my gut tells me it sold okay, but it didn't fly off the shelves. The stores near me always had a few in stock, but never the huge piles of unsold inventory like the Playstation Classic. I actually wonder if it's been selling better this week, with the combination of great sales on it and the release of the hack. The other day Gamestop's website kept messing up likely due to traffic when they put the systems on sale for $34.99.
    Quote Originally Posted by CMA Death Adder
    Recently I sold the majority of my 32X games for a measly 18 bucks. With it, I bought some tacos. Definitely a more pleasing choice.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

They are/were on sale quite a bit this holiday season. I got mine for $35. The prices were outrageously low, so that makes me wonder if the sales were lower than expected.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Centrale's Avatar

They announced at the launch event that it had already sold better in pre-sales than they initially expected. It's a success - they just don't do the false scarcity tricks that uh, some other companies do.

Quote Originally Posted by Centrale View Post
    They announced at the launch event that it had already sold better in pre-sales than they initially expected. It's a success - they just don't do the false scarcity tricks that uh, some other companies do.
    Well, that's good news. I also think that they gauged what the sales would be based on the 2 Nintendo releases. After the initial sales, they can play with the price and get it in the hands of the other people that might have been put off by the price initially. If it stays around $50, which it has floated around for a month or more, that is an amazing deal. Especially with how well-received/ supported project Lunar seems to be.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

I hear that it sold well, especially in Japan, but here in the UK I know from listening to people talk that the average consumer doesn't know the difference between Sega's very own superior Mega Drive Mini and the shit that AtGames knocked out a few years ago.

Yeah, I personally have quite a few game enthusiasts as friends locally, and not all of them jumped on board. It's almost like the passed few machines hurt the sales of this machine, but also the retro console mini craze is going to be short lived. Even the TG16 mini seems less important, due to the game selection and choice to have all the games on it twice. (I'm still h clear on some of the details, but it sounds/seems like the TG16 mini won't have translated version of some of the Japanese games? Like Snatcher?)

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Sega ran a full-page color ad in a Japanese newspaper after New Years. It has a pun for those who know Japanese (the '32' in 32-year-anniversary and 'mini' in Mega Drive Mini are written almost the same).

From Twitter:

And just because Sega is awesome, they made the image sizes exactly to scale, as seen here:

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

Still trying to decide between Analogue box and the mini:
    https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    It's almost like the passed few machines hurt the sales of this machine
    Seems to be a common theme with Sega!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Centrale's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    ...the retro console mini craze is going to be short lived. Even the TG16 mini seems less important...
    Well, to be fair, the TG16 is less important in the West. I expect it's going to have a much more rapid price drop because it's starting at $100 and it just never had the install base that the Genesis did in the West. (Mind you, I definitely want one! Preferably the Japanese PC Engine version.) But I don't really see the popularity of "mini" retro systems going away this year. It's currently a burgeoning field and there are all sorts of form factors of arcade machines coming to the market now, as well as numerous high end consoles that play old cartridges. I think this is a really cool time for retro gaming. There always seems to be this attempt at crafting a doom and gloom narrative around Sega but I think the company and its projects have been very well-managed over the past several years. I expect to see them continue in this market and eventually expand their line-up.

Quote Originally Posted by kdubmods View Post
    Still trying to decide between Analogue box and the mini:
    https://www.analogue.co/mega-sg/

i wouldnt say this should be a fair "choice" between these two products

the mini is like a toy.....the sg certainly isnt.

i own both, use my mini for taking on the road as i travel a lot with my work - but the sg is set up at home for playing carts, i love the sg - the mini is just "good for what it is"

Master of Shinobi midnightrider's Avatar

I hope it does well for them, but personally, I've got my "High Definiton Graphics" model 1 running again, and a million ways to emulate stuff otherwise. I just don't know if I'd have a use for a mini console.

Thread Information