Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lost Super Star Wars and Flintstones (Ocean) prototypes released

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Gaptoothedidiot's Avatar

I've had a good crack at the Star Wars proto now, it's certainly not a pick up and play (even bearing in mind it's development stage). I've never played the snes version but straight off the mark. Scorpions. what is the deal with scorpions? not only scorpions, a variety of scorpions.

How many types of scorpions do you want in your game?
    Two please.
    We have regular scorpions that hide in the sand like real scorpions do and we have big bastard scorpions with go-go-gadget arms.
    I'll take both please.

I don't often get asked what I like about the Star Wars movies but when I do, my answer is always ready. Scorpions, fecking love Star Wars scorpions. I've often thought to myself that the Star Wars opening story crawl would have been better if the music in the background was 'The Wind of Change'. That's how much I love scorpions in my Star Wars. Love it.

The other stages I've played were pretty neat, well the ones that they got around to putting enemies into (I spent longer than I should driving through the dessert looking for scorpions to run over in my land cruiser). I do like how the Jawas zipped off the screen when given a dose of the light sabre, that was fun. And the jumpy, spinny light sabre attack is good craic too.

It's purely conjecture naturally, but this plays like it could have been a good game.

Needed more scorpions though.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SEGA-Jorge View Post
    I kinda think that Flinstones game looks nightmarish. I am all for exploring some of these protos, but I'd have no interest in a finished version of that.
    Why do you feel the Flintstones prototype looks 'nightmarish'?

Fred's face, most likely. It barely animates compared to the rest of the body and it sticks out.

EDIT: checked the SNES version and it seems to have gotten better (presumably on Mega Drive it'd have gotten the same sprites) sorta. The whole concept of trying to match the live action movie remains awkward, honestly.

Also I wonder if the gradients would have been changed to match the final SNES version later? For all we know that blue sky gradient was how it looked in the SNES prototypes too. In fact the SNES version's gradient should work better at hiding the Mega Drive's color limitations (and seeing as the SNES version seems rather conservative with color usage, it's clear that they were trying to keep both of them more or less the same).
    Last edited by Sik; 01-06-2020 at 02:01 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Fred's face, most likely. It barely animates compared to the rest of the body and it sticks out.

EDIT: checked the SNES version and it seems to have gotten better (presumably on Mega Drive it'd have gotten the same sprites) sorta. The whole concept of trying to match the live action movie remains awkward, honestly.

Also I wonder if the gradients would have been changed to match the final SNES version later? For all we know that blue sky gradient was how it looked in the SNES prototypes too. In fact the SNES version's gradient should work better at hiding the Mega Drive's color limitations (and seeing as the SNES version seems rather conservative with color usage, it's clear that they were trying to keep both of them more or less the same).
    Kudos to John Goodman for allowing his likeness to be used in the game. Many celebs didn't allow it in the old days. The visual product is a result of its time really, people were less picky about this sort of thing back then. Mortal Kombat's original graphic style did this type of look best imo.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Wonder Boy's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gaptoothedidiot View Post
    I've had a good crack at the Star Wars proto now, it's certainly not a pick up and play (even bearing in mind it's development stage). I've never played the snes version but straight off the mark. Scorpions. what is the deal with scorpions? not only scorpions, a variety of scorpions.
    I haven't tried the prototype yet but most of what you describe is the same as the SNES version. If you really want a good time, try Namco's Star Wars on the Famicom.

I'm really happy to see this prototype get released though. As others have said, too bad its an early version, but great to have nonetheless.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Gaptoothedidiot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wonder Boy View Post
    I haven't tried the prototype yet but most of what you describe is the same as the SNES version. If you really want a good time, try Namco's Star Wars on the Famicom.

I'm really happy to see this prototype get released though. As others have said, too bad its an early version, but great to have nonetheless.
    True enough Wonder Boy. I've played the famicom version and it's got even more scorpions. Spoiler alert. You give Darth Vader a couple of strokes with the light saber and he turns into a scorpion.

Thread Information