Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 40

Thread: A Winner Is You 2020 Edition!

  1. #1
    The Coop's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Outskirts of B.F.E.
    Posts
    4,080
    Rep Power
    82

    Default A Winner Is You 2020 Edition!

    New year? NEW THREAD!

    I haven't beaten anything yet, but I'm working on it.


    Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done:

  2. #2
    Blast processor Melf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Cabo Rojo, PR
    Posts
    9,581
    Rep Power
    137

    Default

    So far, I've completed:

    - Phantasy Star IV
    - Shining in the Darkness
    - Gauntlet IV (Quest Mode)

  3. #3
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    514
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    ^ What is your secret?

    1. Sonic the Hedgehog - Genesis

    I figured I'd make this the Sonic year and beat a bunch of Sonic games since the movie is coming out. I thought it was a good excuse. Starting at the beginning seemed logical to me, but I'm going to play a more recently developed game next. I've never actually completed a post-Genesis era Sonic game.

  4. #4
    Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    10,378
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    Silver Surfer (NES):

    Bought this game as a late Christmas present to myself. I had no prior experience with it, but it looked fun. I played it off and on all weekend and last night I beat it.

    The last stage sucked away all my continues, but I still managed to squeak out a victory.

    Also, I think I love this game.

  5. #5
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    4,908
    Rep Power
    60

    Thumbs up

    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore.

    Still remains my fave Persona game that's not named Persona. Yeah, idol shit is not for me. It's still a fun Persona lite. Social links are streamlined and no calendar system. Good OST, weaker in some parts but some of the battle themes are great and sound Persona ish. Tho the composer of this game has never done a score for games before or since. Wii U version which I did enjoy in 2016, I can never go back to. Load times were awful on Wii U and almost non-existent on Switch. This is a world of difference since you enter battle a lot in this game. This always had one of the better turn-based battle systems in an RPG but one thing that dragged it down is the sessions. Not the mechanic as that is what helps make it great. Just the animation of each character can take a while esp in big sessions. Switch version lets you skip them.

    Aside from our typical Japanese bland MC. The cast is strong. Aside from Futaba I prefer this cast over Persona 5. The pacing is better as well. While this game has plenty of style. It's nowhere near as slick as Persona 5. New costumes like P5 Joker outfit is great. New side dungeon. DLC is included on the cart. Now, this is a very weeb game. If those tropes bother you. This game will piss you off. The dungeons are well done. They feel like an evolution of the Persona 3/4 dungeons but instead of randomly generated they are fixed. They each add their own unique puzzle element to them. Side quests could be a bit more varied. Seems they are all just more of the same 5-6 types. I do like all the small and big nods to both the Mega Ten series and Fire Emblem. From items to store clerks. There was some Nintendo style localization. Female characters aged up to 18. Swimsuits removed and in a side quest, they poorly edited a wedding dress to be all white even where her obvious cleavage and arms are. None of this really impacts the game more than an aesthetic level but it does look silly. Thankfully optional.

    Still only 720P and not sure why. More demanding Wii U ports got the bump to 1080P. This game doesn't have the budget, as slick of a presentation of Persona 5 but it is more fun to play IMO. Persona 5 while I did greatly enjoy it overall. Went way too long and as a result, became a chore at times. Never does TMS feel like a chore to me. Addicting more like it. As of this post. This and Cybersleuth are probably the best Persona fix like games on the system. But it's more of sample tasting and still not a full-on Persona clone.

    What it does do in relation to Persona.

    High schoolers.
    Mirages act as the Persona
    You must save a troubled person within their own themed dungeon.
    Social links.
    Fun music.
    Style with a color theme in the game.
    Tiki/Bloom Palace may as well be the Velvet Room.
    SMT/Persona costumes.







    I'm sure it's obvious by now. I really do enjoy Persona and SMT and similar games.

    Life!? ... What console is that on?



    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  6. #6
    The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,981
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Finally beat Road Rash III. Level 5 in that game is pure insanity. The races are all about 16-17 miles long, and there is so much crap trying to kill you it's ridiculous. But I finally managed it. I had the most trouble with the UK race in the final level, probably took me 10 tries before I was able to win it. And while I saved Japan for last, I ended breezing through it and finishing it on the first try. Go figure. The game appears to just loop the 5th level after you beat it. I thought maybe I had to beat them all again to get the ending, but it turns out there isn't one, so that's disappointing. Anyway, awesome game. I might like 2 just a little better, but 3 is great. I like that there are more weapons, you can carry multiple, and they carry over from race to race, or even if you wreck your bike or get arrested. Sadly, the password system doesn't carry over weapons though. That's the price you pay. Hahahaha

  7. #7
    The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    1,981
    Rep Power
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Silver Surfer (NES):

    Bought this game as a late Christmas present to myself. I had no prior experience with it, but it looked fun. I played it off and on all weekend and last night I beat it.

    The last stage sucked away all my continues, but I still managed to squeak out a victory.

    Also, I think I love this game.
    Man, I have never beaten Silver Surfer. That game is effing hard. Do you have any tips?

  8. #8
    Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    10,378
    Rep Power
    134

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Man, I have never beaten Silver Surfer. That game is effing hard. Do you have any tips?
    I do, as a matter of fact (Iím working on few videos about this game and a handful of others)

    Start with either Reptyl or Emperor, as those stages will give you all the power-ups you need in the first section, and they donít start with swarms of swirling enemies like Mephisto or Possessorís stages. The game is super, super scripted and consistent, outside of a few enemies (the pumpkins in Fire Lordís stage and the hands that pop out of the walls in Mephistoís stage), so you should be able to pretty quickly get to a point where you can anticipate when and where the enemies will appear on screen. The enemies behave so predictably, in fact, that I donít think a Ďpacifist runí is completely impossible.


    Also:


    Ninja Gaiden (NES):

    Iíve been playing this game for years, but never beaten it. So I put the olí nose to the grindstone last week and started chipping away at it. This game is quite possibly the hardest and most frustrating game Iíve ever beaten. Actually, let me rephrase: BEATING it isnít really that hard; anyone can do it if you donít mind spending your entire day hacking away at it with the infinite continues. But I found that the toughest enemy in the game is your own frustration level. How many times are you willing to play through that 6th stage just to have another attempt at the final boss?

    Iím now at a point where I can sit down with the game and beat it every time. But I still canít beat all three of the final bosses in one go. Jacquio kills me every time, and I have to make a second trip through the entire stage all over again and one-shot him with the spin slash... which feels kinda like cheating.

  9. #9
    In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    378
    Rep Power
    23

    Default

    25 years after the hype, I finally sat down and played Myst. I could never see the appeal of the game when it was first released. It always looked to me like it would be a tedious slog through a world full of pretentious, abstruse, dream-logic puzzles.

    In actually, it's nothing at all like that. Myst is entirely straight-forward, nearly devoid of pretension, and I'm not even sure I'd classify it as a puzzle game because I can only recall two tasks in the entire game that required any real intuition. The solution to every other task was either given outright or proceeded from such pure logic (mechanical, spatial, etc.) that the way forward was obvious. I thought it would take me several days to complete the game, but it only took a few hours. I did get stuck in a few spots, however. Once when I failed to recognize that a path existed to a certain location, another time when I failed to distinguish a switch as being something separate from background debris, and in the most perplexing instance, when I was unable to find something I didn't even know I should be looking for.

    Myst felt much closer to an old Infocom text adventure than it did to a typical point-and-click graphical adventure, which was a pleasant surprise for an old Infocom junkie like myself. Anyway, I enjoyed Myst much more than I expected too. I rate the game a solid 3/5. I've already gone ahead and picked up copies of its two immediate sequels.

  10. #10
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    514
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    ^ I've played that in small doses many times and have been meaning to play through it for years. Like you, I always imagined it to be much longer than you say it is. Maybe I'll go through it sooner than later.

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post

    I'm sure it's obvious by now. I really do enjoy Persona and SMT and similar games.
    Have you played Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne?

    Been a while since I've been here, but I've still been going through Sanic games.

    2. Sonic and the Secret Rings - Wii

    This is the first 3D Sonic game I've ever beaten as well as the first Wii game I've ever beaten. Not a terrible place to start, but it isn't really my kind of game as I don't really get satisfaction from replaying the same levels multiple times to strive for better results. It did do some things pretty well though, and I think there's a solid game in here somewhere but probably on a different system because I really didn't like the controls. The final boss was satisfying to beat though.

    3. Sonic the Hedgehog: Triple Trouble - Game Gear

    This is probably the easiest Sonic game I've ever played, but that isn't a bad thing. It fit my mood, and I enjoyed the relaxation through most of it. It was also kind of cool that you could play as Miles from the get go, and I ended up going that route.

    4. Shadow the Hedgehog - PS2

    After I started this game, I realized that I hadn't played a PS2 game all year last year, which was kind of crazy as I typically go through at least one a year. Anyway, I noticed that there were a lot of mechanics here that were in the Secret Rings, but they just weren't implemented as well (except for the grinding, which was better here). The polish just wasn't there. I ended up going the "I don't listen to anyone and do what I want" route in the game because everyone attacked me even if I tried to avoid them, and... the ending was much more satisfying than I was expecting. Especially considering Shadow's voice actor sucked ("Listen to me... I'm trying to make you feeeeeel...!")

    5. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Genesis

    Decided to knock out a quick one before going on my next adventure.

  11. #11
    The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2018
    Location
    My Chair
    Posts
    4,908
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    Not yet. Still hoping for an HD port or something but that's probably naive given Atlus.


    Anyway, I am playing Ninja Gaiden on Game Gear. I got it last month for my B-day and first time playing this version. Is it me or is this the easiest NG game ever?

    Also about to pop in my fave TPS ever in PS4. VanQuish.

    Life!? ... What console is that on?



    [PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99


  12. #12
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Posts
    514
    Rep Power
    16

    Default

    I'd be interested in your thoughts on it since you like so many other games with its branding. They already lost a lot of money on that game once though, so I doubt they want to lose on it again. I'd recommend playing it. It still looks good on PS2.

  13. #13
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Wonder Boy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2019
    Location
    New Mexico, USA
    Age
    32
    Posts
    15
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Driver View Post
    25 years after the hype, I finally sat down and played Myst. I could never see the appeal of the game when it was first released. It always looked to me like it would be a tedious slog through a world full of pretentious, abstruse, dream-logic puzzles.

    In actually, it's nothing at all like that. Myst is entirely straight-forward, nearly devoid of pretension, and I'm not even sure I'd classify it as a puzzle game because I can only recall two tasks in the entire game that required any real intuition. The solution to every other task was either given outright or proceeded from such pure logic (mechanical, spatial, etc.) that the way forward was obvious. I thought it would take me several days to complete the game, but it only took a few hours. I did get stuck in a few spots, however. Once when I failed to recognize that a path existed to a certain location, another time when I failed to distinguish a switch as being something separate from background debris, and in the most perplexing instance, when I was unable to find something I didn't even know I should be looking for.

    Myst felt much closer to an old Infocom text adventure than it did to a typical point-and-click graphical adventure, which was a pleasant surprise for an old Infocom junkie like myself. Anyway, I enjoyed Myst much more than I expected too. I rate the game a solid 3/5. I've already gone ahead and picked up copies of its two immediate sequels.
    Myst is one of my favorite games! I'm always glad to hear when others enjoy it. You're going to love Riven, it's better in every way.

    My first experience with Myst was actually on the Sega Saturn of all things. It felt like nothing else at the time.


    Regarding Nocturne, it's the only SMT game I've played and I think its fantastic. Atlus would do well to make an HD remake.


    I guess I'm off-topic because I haven't beat any games yet this year.

  14. #14
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    87
    Rep Power
    5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE Encore.

    Still remains my fave Persona game that's not named Persona. Yeah, idol shit is not for me. It's still a fun Persona lite. Social links are streamlined and no calendar system. Good OST, weaker in some parts but some of the battle themes are great and sound Persona ish. Tho the composer of this game has never done a score for games before or since. Wii U version which I did enjoy in 2016, I can never go back to. Load times were awful on Wii U and almost non-existent on Switch. This is a world of difference since you enter battle a lot in this game. This always had one of the better turn-based battle systems in an RPG but one thing that dragged it down is the sessions. Not the mechanic as that is what helps make it great. Just the animation of each character can take a while esp in big sessions. Switch version lets you skip them.

    Still only 720P and not sure why. More demanding Wii U ports got the bump to 1080P. This game doesn't have the budget, as slick of a presentation of Persona 5 but it is more fun to play IMO. Persona 5 while I did greatly enjoy it overall. Went way too long and as a result, became a chore at times. Never does TMS feel like a chore to me. Addicting more like it. As of this post. This and Cybersleuth are probably the best Persona fix like games on the system. But it's more of sample tasting and still not a full-on Persona clone.

    What it does do in relation to Persona.

    High schoolers.
    Mirages act as the Persona
    You must save a troubled person within their own themed dungeon.
    Social links.
    Fun music.
    Style with a color theme in the game.
    Tiki/Bloom Palace may as well be the Velvet Room.
    SMT/Persona costumes.


    I'm sure it's obvious by now. I really do enjoy Persona and SMT and similar games.
    Is it worth buying for the Switch if you already own the Wii U version (other than load times) in your opinion? I notice you wrote it's still 720p. Or does lack of load times make it a totally different play through? Only play docked TV mode really, so portable option less important.

  15. #15
    Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Posts
    4,498
    Rep Power
    95

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Night Driver View Post
    25 years after the hype, I finally sat down and played Myst. I could never see the appeal of the game when it was first released. It always looked to me like it would be a tedious slog through a world full of pretentious, abstruse, dream-logic puzzles.

    In actually, it's nothing at all like that. Myst is entirely straight-forward, nearly devoid of pretension, and I'm not even sure I'd classify it as a puzzle game because I can only recall two tasks in the entire game that required any real intuition. The solution to every other task was either given outright or proceeded from such pure logic (mechanical, spatial, etc.) that the way forward was obvious. I thought it would take me several days to complete the game, but it only took a few hours. I did get stuck in a few spots, however. Once when I failed to recognize that a path existed to a certain location, another time when I failed to distinguish a switch as being something separate from background debris, and in the most perplexing instance, when I was unable to find something I didn't even know I should be looking for.

    Myst felt much closer to an old Infocom text adventure than it did to a typical point-and-click graphical adventure, which was a pleasant surprise for an old Infocom junkie like myself. Anyway, I enjoyed Myst much more than I expected too. I rate the game a solid 3/5. I've already gone ahead and picked up copies of its two immediate sequels.
    Your expectations of Myst are very similar to mine -- especially since the biggest Myst fan I knew back in the 1990s was quite a pretentious person -- so both halves of your post (or the "before" and "after") were pleasing to read. I'll have to give the 3DO version a shot sometime this year.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •