Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: A Winner Is You 2020 Edition!

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Starflight

Great freaking game for the Genesis. It's an old EA strategy game ported from the PC. I really enjoyed it. I'd say that it's much more Star Trek-esque in its gameplay and presentation than most of the licensed Star Trek games I played in that era.

You're the commander of a space ship and your home planet is in imminent danger due to increased flares from the sun. So the goal is to explore the universe looking for new planets to inhabit. I'd say of all the planets across the game space, maybe 5% are inhabitable. Upon discovering a good planet, you log it and will receive money from the bosses for the effort. If you log an uninhabitable planet, you get fined.

Now, aside from that objective, you can mine planets for lucrative minerals to sell or use (this reminded me very much of the xbox series Mass Effect), and encounter all sorts of alien species, some friendly, some d1cks, and choose to eff them up or become bros. There are some highly entertaining exchanges. You have to make cash for fuel and upgrades to your ship and weapons, training your crew, etc, all of which are necessary to get deep into the game.

There are wormholes throughout the massive universe which you can traverse to lower fuel usage. However, you don't know where they'll take you until you're there; however, once learned, the path will be logged on your starmap. And finally, there are all sorts of ancient artifacts and such to find and collect, some of which are necessary to defeat the game.

It took me some thinking, deciphering lots of information from aliens, and trial and error before I found the final planet which you need to destroy to save your planet and race so to speak. But it was a heck of a ride. The gameplay is lots of fun, and you really need to think your way through the game.

Edit: forgot to add pics I took of the screen.

Last edited by profholt82; 03-01-2020 at 05:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    I do, as a matter of fact (Iím working on few videos about this game and a handful of others)

Start with either Reptyl or Emperor, as those stages will give you all the power-ups you need in the first section, and they donít start with swarms of swirling enemies like Mephisto or Possessorís stages. The game is super, super scripted and consistent, outside of a few enemies (the pumpkins in Fire Lordís stage and the hands that pop out of the walls in Mephistoís stage), so you should be able to pretty quickly get to a point where you can anticipate when and where the enemies will appear on screen. The enemies behave so predictably, in fact, that I donít think a Ďpacifist runí is completely impossible.
    I thank you for this post, and have tried to rep you several times since you made it, but somehow I still need to spread more around. And I've been on a repping spree lately, so I don't know what the heck is going on. Regardless, thanks.

In Your Mind Road Rasher Night Driver's Avatar

Puzzle Agent 2

It's been ages since I played the original Puzzle Agent, but I remember enjoying it quite a bit. Unfortunately, I didn't get a lot out of this sequel. Puzzle Agent 2 is decidedly a rehash of the first game. The puzzles it contains are less interesting, less varied, and significantly fewer in number than those of the original game. The story in Puzzle Agent 2 is a direct sequel to the first game, set in the same locale, with the same characters, but the plot this time was far too convoluted to be engaging and I quickly lot interest in it. A couple of puzzles required some thought away from the game before I was able to deduce the answer, but most of the puzzles were more like mini-games and easily solved in a few minutes. However, the instructions for several puzzles weren't written clearly, and that caused me some confusion.

Puzzle Agent 2 isn't a bad game, necessarily; it's just nowhere near as likable as the original game. Although it was released exactly one year after the original game, Puzzle Agent 2 gives off that distinct feeling of having been "rushed". The game would have been much better off had it been given a new and original story (totally independent from the first) and puzzles more varied and numerous. I give it a 2/5.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenband View Post
    Your expectations of Myst are very similar to mine -- especially since the biggest Myst fan I knew back in the 1990s was quite a pretentious person -- so both halves of your post (or the "before" and "after") were pleasing to read. I'll have to give the 3DO version a shot sometime this year.
    I do remember a certain air of pretension surrounding Myst when it first released. I mean, take what was a cerebral game to begin with, add cutting-edge pre-rendered graphics and advanced CD-ROM technology to the mix and suddenly you had individuals praising the game who had, most assuredly, never played a computer game in their lives. I admit, the reaction Myst received from those quarters only added to my skepticism of the game.
    Last edited by Night Driver; 03-02-2020 at 01:51 PM.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Myst was the game that people used to justify owning a CD ROM drive for their PC. The Amiga probably could have pulled off that game using it's sound hardware and HAM mode. I played the game on the Saturn, because there weren't many games available for the console in the summer of 1995. I'd never finished it and ended up trading in the game for something better.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Myst was for CD-Roms in 1994 what Planet Earth was for Blu-Ray in 2007.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Robocop vs The Terminator (Genesis)

A buddy of mine picked this one up recently and was talking to me about it. I've had a copy for at least a decade and probably hadn't played it in about half that time, so I decided to fire it up. It took me a couple of tries, and when I finally made it to the boss in the Skynet level, I ended up burning through all of my continues and almost all of my lives before I finally beat the giant Terminator head. Holy crap, does that thing take a ton of damage. That was about a 15-20 minute boss fight. Sheesh. Fortunately, he drops weapons and powerups throughout the fight, and as you rack up so many points blasting away, you'll occasionally earn a bonus life.

Throughout the first 9 levels, there are numerous health and one ups to be found which makes the game manageable in spite of the difficulty. I mean, there is a steady barrage of bullets and projectiles coming your way throughout the game, it is tough. I learned that if I had a good weapon to swap it out when I was about to die so that I didn't lose it. You can swap weapons with A. And when you respawn, you're invincible for several seconds, so that's a good time to just go through a difficult spot as quickly as possible. So there's a couple of tips which can hopefully help someone on their next playthough.

Titanfall 2 (Xbox One)

Someone recommended this one to me as a good, fun, cheap game. So I ordered a brand new copy for all of $7 and hoped for the best. And I've got to say, I genuinely enjoyed it. You play as a soldier named Joe Cooper, and due to happenstance, you get a field promotion to pilot, but in this world, pilots don't fly planes, but these big robot mech things called titans.

And that's the bulk of the game, trouncing around in a big superpowered mech, blasting enemies, traversing mazes and some light puzzle solving. Sometimes you have to get out of the mech, and that gameplay is similar to your standard fps Call of Duty fare.

Your mech, BT, has some personality, and is a pretty good character. Also, there are numerous boss fights which are pretty cool. Your mech has numerous loadout options which you collect throughout the game and can switch between at will, so there is some strategy there for some of the tougher fights.

All in all, it was a pretty fun game, and well worth my 7 bucks.

Outrun 2019 (Genesis)

This one doesn't really resemble the original Outrun all that much, but it plays similarly, and is a fun game in its own right. It features the same type of behind the car view and super scaling, but the speeds reach in excess of 600 mph, although it doesn't really feel much faster than contemporary driving games with max speeds less than half of that. And your car has that 90s sci-fi futuristic look with jets coming out of the rear, while most of the other cars on the road have a Mad Max pirate look.

Honestly, not a ton to say about this one. Great music, fair track and background design, solid controls and generally fun gameplay. There are 3 or 4 main tracks, each with the Outrun standard multiple paths to take. While I would have liked a bit more, what's here is well executed, and like I said, it's fun. What else do you really need?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Final Fantasy VII

I tried it in the past but never got past Midgar. Over 2 weeks ago I went into a different mindset. Now I eat a big plate of crow. I finally finished it. I can't say anything that has not been said about FFVII. Maybe just this. I now wish I experienced it like most. On PS1 and in 1997. I don't have the nostalgia for it but I'm now a fan of this game. I'm converted.

IX remains my fave as that I do have nostalgia for.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Shadow Dancer (Genesis)

Nothing spectacular, but definitely fun. Has sort of a puzzle-ish quality to it that I enjoyed. The black ninjas at the final boss were a pain, but the rest of the game was on the easy side... well, at least when playing with shurikens. I thought the music, overall, was average. Boy, this game sure isn't stingy with the 1ups. The three 1ups awarded on the bonus stages are basically gimmes. (3/5)

Bio Hazard Battle

Excellent game. Loved it. Fantastic enemy designs. Amazing soundtrack--really cool how a leitmotif is present across multiple tracks. Challenging gameplay, but never frustrating (on normal, at least). (5/5)
    Last edited by Night Driver; 04-15-2020 at 10:09 PM.

Revenge of Shinobi

Too deliberate, stiff, and unforgiving for my tastes. Lots of frustration. Felt downright cheap at times. Rote memorization required to get through most levels. Soundtrack is good, but a bit overrated. A couple of the boss fights are real stinkers. Didn't enjoy it. A chore from start to finish. (2/5)

Quote Originally Posted by Night Driver View Post
    Revenge of Shinobi

Too deliberate, stiff, and unforgiving for my tastes. Lots of frustration. Felt downright cheap at times. Rote memorization required to get through most levels. Soundtrack is good, but a bit overrated. A couple of the boss fights are real stinkers. Didn't enjoy it. A chore from start to finish. (2/5)
    How dare you?!

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    How dare you?!

I realize my opinion on this one is heretical. I know there are those who regard it as their favorite Genesis game. Unfortunately, it just doesn't click with me. Believe me, I hate not being able to get any enjoyment out of a game that is so highly regarded.

Shinobi III

Top-notch. Still challenging, but much more fluid and not so punishingly stiff as Revenge. Loved what the new moves bring to the table. Impressive visually with a beautiful aesthetic, lots of detail, and excellent use of parallax scrolling. Outstanding soundtrack. I'm getting too old to tolerate long platforming sections where one small mistake leads to insta-death, so the falling rock stage in round 6 was aggravating, as were the electric jungle gyms of round 7. Nevertheless, it's difficult for me to find any real faults with this monster of a game. (5/5)
    Last edited by Night Driver; 04-24-2020 at 11:05 PM. Reason: Unnecessary hyphen removed.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Starflight
    I picked up a complete copy of this game years ago and have been meaning to go through it this whole time. I have made it a plan for it to be the next long game (10+ hours) I play, but when it comes down to it, something else always sounds good in the moment. Your little summary serves as a reminder but also makes me want to play it some more.

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Final Fantasy VII

I tried it in the past but never got past Midgar. Over 2 weeks ago I went into a different mindset. Now I eat a big plate of crow. I finally finished it. I can't say anything that has not been said about FFVII. Maybe just this. I now wish I experienced it like most. On PS1 and in 1997. I don't have the nostalgia for it but I'm now a fan of this game. I'm converted.

IX remains my fave as that I do have nostalgia for.
    I would have liked FFVII much more if all of it (or at least most of it) took place in Midgar.

6. Sonic Adventure - Dreamcast

I actually enjoyed this game a decent amount. This seemed like a natural progression to 3D for the series, and the story progressed just like a typical Sonic story would if it were fleshed out (maybe that's why it might be better if they kept things simple).

7. Sonic Spinball - Genesis

I remember renting this game in the '90s and loving it, but I couldn't ever get past the second stage. After having a permanent acquisition of this game, I enjoyed it in short spurts but never put much effort into it to try to complete it. After finally finishing it, I don't view it in the same light, but it's not bad either. The typical pinball randomness that kills you sucks more in this game than your typical pinball game because there's a clear objective here, but that's to be expected.

8. Sonic the Hedgehog (2006) - Xbox 360

This game pretty much sucks. Playing as Sonic, Tails, and Omega were the worst, and it really sucked when you would get close to a wall/barrier and be unable to move for a few seconds. There were so many issues that they should have just delayed the release to fix them. There were moments that were enjoyable, but it wasn't worth experiencing them considering everything else the player has to go through.

9. Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - Game Gear

I'm not a big fan of the amount of memorization some of the stages take in this game. There are areas where you can stock up on lives so you can continue to die over and over again while figuring out how to get past a certain part. It's a nice gesture, but it isn't very fun. I'd say this game is like 25% bad, 25% fun, and 50% solid, but that bad segment takes up much more than 25% of the playing time.

10. Sonic Heroes - GameCube

I'm not a fan of this one. It kind of reminds me of Sonic '06 but not as bad. However, at least Sonic '06 had more variety when you played the same stages with different characters.

11. Sonic CD - Sega CD

I payed this a while back (without completing it) and didn't really have much fun with it. After playing it again, it started out more fun than I remembered, but as time went on, it just seemed to drag. It feels like they want you to do a lot in the stages but don't really give you the space to do it. Also, the music is pretty cool but oftentimes feels out of place.

12. Sonic Mania Plus - PS4

I wasn't sure what I was going to think of this game going into it. I'm typically not a fan of tribute type stuff, and I didn't like the idea of most of the stages comprising of levels from previous Sonic games. After playing it, I have come to the conclusion that this is actually a very good game. The stages and music were recognizable, but there were enough changes and expansions to the levels that made playing through them feel like fresh experiences. I was also a fan of having two different types of bonus stages.

13. - Sonic Chaos - Game Gear

This was basically a poor man's Triple Trouble. The difficulty (lack of?) was similar, and the stages were so small that they almost felt non-existant (not sure if this was an issue because I played it right after Mania or if that's a legitimate thing).

PGA European Tour (SNES)

Won the tournament on the Valderrama course.

Thread Information