Quantcast

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need answers on possibly resetting Genesis with controller, while in SMS mode.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

PIN 7 Is not suppose to stay fixed at one level, vcc or ground. To allow the pad to work in 3 or 6 button mode PIN 7 must act like a clock. It continuously go high and low.
    Last edited by majinga; 01-16-2020 at 12:52 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One infidelity's Avatar

For those who are seeing this page first, check the last post at the end of page 2 to see my findings, I'm close, check #4.

I'll see what I can figure out from my findings, if others want to offer more ideas please do so.
    Last edited by infidelity; 01-16-2020 at 02:10 PM.

Idk how to create code or anything to create a clock for pin 7 in SMS mode. I've exhausted all other hardmod options, spent all day trying to find a reliable source for pin 7, but results were bad.

Ok can SukkoPera please check this out?

https://jonthysell.com/2014/07/26/re...-with-arduino/

https://www.raspberryfield.life/2019...bc-controller/

https://github.com/jonthysell/SegaCo...ree/master/src

https://github.com/jonthysell/SegaCo...aster/examples

It looks like this person is able to make pin 7 cycle, but I dont understand the Arduino script. Are you able to take a look and implement the cycle of pin 7?
    Last edited by infidelity; 01-17-2020 at 08:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by infidelity View Post
    Ok can SukkoPera please check this out?
    It looks like this person is able to make pin 7 cycle, but I dont understand the Arduino script. Are you able to take a look and implement the cycle of pin 7?
    This is exactly what the SMS++ do. On the MD++ the micro is already capable to read the 3/6 pad buttons. This is easy.
    The complicated part here is to allow the micro to handle the pad only when the MD is in the SMS mode. And leave the MD act normally when it is not.

About your previous post, I'm not sure of what you was trying to do, but. Even if you find a suitable clock signal somewhere on the MD, to feed directly to the pin 7. This will cause problems with games, or at least with 6 buttons controllers.

There has to be a way for the micro to detect when the md is in SMS mode?

I did multimeter tests on pin 7 yesterday.

MD mode, pin 7 reads 04.8 when start/A are not pressed, and 00.0 when start/a are held down.

SMS mode, pin 7 reads 02.0

Is there a way for the micro to detect certain voltage, to allow passage of the new voltage to pin 7? If I have to fish for other SMS mode only spits, I will.

At the moment the plan is to check the value on pin 7, if is stuck high then the MD is in SMS mode.

Allow the micro to control the pin in such situation is not so easy. You can't just feed a signal into the pin, because then is impossible to determinate when the MD leave the SMS mode, and it may be dangerous for the IC that control the pin.
    The safe way is to cut the trace from the pint to the IC, like in the SMS++ mod. Then sense the signal from the IC with the micro and then send back the signal to the pin from the micro.

Um, you know, the /M3 signal in the cartridge slot literally tells you if it's in MD or SMS mode (the cartridge leaves it floating for MD and pulls it low for SMS). You'd need to feed the input from that pin to the microcontroller tho.

Sensing the pin 7 make the fix available for everyone who already have the mod, without the need to solder anything else.

I'll solder anything extra, if we soldered in the Arduino Nano, then im sure others are more than willing as I have been, to solder additional wires for IGR in SMS mode.
    Last edited by infidelity; 01-18-2020 at 11:30 AM.

With the fix you will be able to do the IGR in SMS mode, by holding B+C+DOWN for few seconds.

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Um, you know, the /M3 signal in the cartridge slot literally tells you if it's in MD or SMS mode (the cartridge leaves it floating for MD and pulls it low for SMS). You'd need to feed the input from that pin to the microcontroller tho.
    if I knew how to write for the Nano, I'd do as you suggest.

Quote Originally Posted by majinga View Post
    At the moment the plan is to check the value on pin 7, if is stuck high then the MD is in SMS mode.

Allow the micro to control the pin in such situation is not so easy. You can't just feed a signal into the pin, because then is impossible to determinate when the MD leave the SMS mode, and it may be dangerous for the IC that control the pin.
    The safe way is to cut the trace from the pint to the IC, like in the SMS++ mod. Then sense the signal from the IC with the micro and then send back the signal to the pin from the micro.
    I'm all for doing this. If either you or SukkoPera are able to write the script, I'll test it. I'll just need an img of exactly where to make the trace cut from pin7. I'll check the schematic for which pin of the IC deals with Pin 7, and see where the via point is for it.

Deleted response
    Last edited by infidelity; 01-18-2020 at 05:17 PM.

Thread Information