Quantcast

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678

Thread: What the Saturn can exactly do that the Playstation cannot?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Toshinden the numbers are from the ps1 version official numbers from the devs, but on the Saturn it can be less due to the polygon being quad, a quad is equivalent to almost 2 triangles so 1600 quad Saturn version it's possible , in any case the versions are the same, only transparencies differentiate versions.

The idea is that based on Saturn DOA, imo it would be possible to make Toshinden at 60fps. The PS1 even made Toshinden 3 at 30fps and 60fps but for that you have to activate a mode that cuts graphic elements. PS1 is a powerful console it runs soul Edge like the arcade at 30fps, arcade is 30fps but it doesn't run Soul Calibur, Soul Calibur is 60fps due to overclocking cpu and higher ram in the arcade hardware even it based on ps1 hardware, I believe (my guess) in a soul calibur of 60fps for saturn replacing polygons with 2 or 3 layers background just like doa do.

basically i'm wondering how the power of saturn could be harnessed because how many games like Mass Destruction, duken nuken 3d, Courier crisis, sonic r couldn't be done and the possibilities are endless

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Amazing homebrews no doubts. In your opinion how these homebrews will looks on ps1?

Sorry for the concordance errors English is not my primary language, these linguistic obstacles prevent me from stating my reasoning more clearly.

in general I'm saying that Saturn is more capable on specific types of games and conjecturing on those games how they could be reimagined.

because on ps1 a series of games is the same idea unfold into different new games.

Crash, Donald duck, Pepsi man
    Chicken Run and MGS.
    final fantasy, chrono cross,
    alone the dark, resident, parasit eve, dino crisis
    N64: Banjo, Super Mario 64, dk64, conker

all the same base.

see Mass Destruction is best on Saturn. I think it could unfold into 4 different new games and all them Saturn would always have the edge cause Mass Destruction has.

How many PowerSlave clone we can do ? Sonic Rs ? Grandias ? PD Saga ? DOAs? all will be best on Saturn this is what I'm saying.
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 08-17-2022 at 11:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    Toshinden the numbers are from the ps1 version official numbers from the devs, but on the Saturn it can be less due to the polygon being quad, a quad is equivalent to almost 2 triangles so 1600 quad Saturn version it's possible , in any case the versions are the same, only transparencies differentiate versions.
    The 1600 number is the PS1 version. It's what's actually being drawn on screen each frame. I don't care what the PR department put on the game's case or disc. I care about what the game is actually doing.

Use your brain and think about it for a minute. If the character models are about 800 polygons each, that would leave at least 1400 polygons unaccounted for in the frame if we assume all the polygons of each model are being drawn (they aren't). Where do you think those other 1400 polygons are coming from to get to 3000 per frame? I highly doubt the stages and backgrounds are made up of 1400 polygons.

Amazing homebrews no doubts. In your opinion how these homebrews will looks on ps1?
    They'd probably look about the same and possibly perform a bit better. The PS1 is better at this after all, it has a higher fillrate, better blending abilities, etc. The point wasn't which is better, it's that the Saturn doesn't suck at 3D and some of these old ports aren't a very good example as they could have been better optimized. There is a gap, but it's not as severe as people claim. The Saturn is powerful enough to be competitive in it's generation.

in general I'm saying that Saturn is more capable on specific types of games and conjecturing on those games how they could be reimagined, because on ps1 a series of games is the same idea like Crash and Donald duck, Chicken Run and MGS. Mass Destruction could unfold into 4 different new games. But some lighting and transparency barriers I think that saturn could only do with quality in its exclusives games, this deficit I think could not be overcome in multi-platform, ps1 would always have the edge in the course of gen.
    The Saturn can handle lighting just fine. It's transparencies that are troublesome and require a lot of thinking outside the box. As for games like Metal Gear Solid, I don't think there's really anything that game is doing that the Saturn wouldn't be able to do or would struggle with.

see Mass Destruction is best on Saturn. I think it could unfold into 4 different new games and all them Saturn would always have the edge cause Mass Destruction has.

How many PowerSalve clone we can do ? Sonic Rs ? grandias ? DOAs? all will be best on Saturn this is what I'm saying.
    These games (other than PowerSlave) are better because they use VDP2 heavily. If you can't find a use for VDP2 it's hard to work it in. That said, some of the games you listed should be feasible on Saturn. Metal Gear Solid doesn't seem to be that demanding. The Final Fantasy Games are more difficult due to all the transparencies, so those would need to be reworked, but the rest could be doable. Resident Evil style games really just have the issue of balancing memory due to the background graphics and lack of MDEC compression. But we have the RAM cart so it balances out.

You may not get things that are 1:1 for each game, but you can probably get things that have an acceptable level of changes to make it work.
    Last edited by TrekkiesUnite118; 08-17-2022 at 11:26 PM.

Thread Information