Quantcast

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What the Saturn can exactly do that the Playstation cannot?

Quote Originally Posted by Yohko16 View Post
    Wouldn't this game be doable on PS1?
    Of course, it could, but there would be trade-offs for the floor and clouds effects, while no doubt improvements ,with lighting transparent effects. Which is what one saw, when developers, looked to make good use of both systems

Platform holders say silly stuff all the time, Like how Mario 64 could never be done on a CD-based system, Wipeout 2097 could only be done on the PS, Cel shading can't be done on the PS2 LOL

I don't really get why, some look to bring NiGHTS up TBH. It's not really the best looking Saturn game, while it is full of amazing effects, the heavy clipping spoils the overall effect a little too much for me.
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-15-2020 at 09:55 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by Team Andromeda View Post
    Of course, it could, but there would be trade-offs for the floor and clouds effects, while no doubt improvements ,with lighting transparent effects. Which is what one saw, when developers, looked to make good use of both systems

Platform holders say silly stuff all the time.

Kotaku: how Panzer Dragoon defined SEGA Saturn Era, see that.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    Kotaku: how Panzer Dragoon defined SEGA Saturn Era, see that.
    I've seen it thanks. Any system can handle a game, its what is lost in the process. I mean for some the Wipeout series, defined the PS era and the Saturn was able to handle it with some compromises.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Play Bulk Slash and Guardian Heroes.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by SegataS View Post
    Play Bulk Slash and Guardian Heroes.
    Play Panzer Bandit and see the PS could handle Guardian Heroes style game, only with limitations. If one plays Fighting Force on the PS, which was a game built around the Saturn VDP2 and where it was the lead system. The PS can pull it off, it's just compromised Like how the PS versions of Grandia, Street Racer, Mass Destruction, Thunder Force V lack the VDP2 effects and how in Thunder Force V there are more transparent effects thanks to the VDP2

I would hate to see how the Radiant Silvergun would have turned out on the PS, but it could have handled the game, only missing loads of VDP2 effects
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Woosh.

Woosh.
    So childish. Can anyone have a debate with you? Or does it all go over one's head
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi

Most of the VDP2 effects could be done by the Playstation with a decent software library to simulate it, even the infinite plains. The big problem is just RAM - it would need twice as much memory for this, especially to alleviate the lack of tiling. That's what makes this stuff nearly impossible.

Something like Panzer Dragoon wouldn't be a problem on the playstation, it would obviously take a hit in the ground texture quality, but it would be a minor trade off. The infinite playfields could even be kept in, with some trickery.
    Radiant Silvergun on the other hand would be a nightmare to do, it seamlessly transitions 2-3 layers constantly throughout the game, with blending and sometimes other effects. Like the turtle on stage 6 where a mechanical shaft opens beneath with a deep perspective effect, or the stone-like where the entire world begins to ripple apart in rainbow colours... and they all have transitions, animations from one background effect to the next, you really have to see them in motion.

So childish. Can anyone have a debate with you? Or does it all go over one's head
    There never was a debate. The first post was a throwaway joke post as if I put my disc in the PS1 it does not play. Therefore it cannot play those games. It wasn't serious, to begin with.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One

It was mentioned a number of years back, on this forum, that the PSX has mode where a texture can repeat (span) infinite directions and instances across a single polygon - but can't on the Saturn. It was some port of the Saturn where this was an issue, and the devs had to come up with a creative work around. It didn't sound like a big deal overall, but you know.. since we're checking off boxes here hahah

There never was a debate. The first post was a throwaway joke post as if I put my disc in the PS1 it does not play. Therefore it cannot play those games. It wasn't serious, to begin with.
    It was a debate, but like usual you look to rubbish or make fun of anything or anyone, you don't agree with
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-25-2020 at 12:08 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

I've seen it thanks. Any system can handle a game, its what is lost in the process. I mean for some the Wipeout series, defined the PS era and the Saturn was able to handle it with some compromises.
    SEGA challenged that producer to make games that were ''impossible'' on PS1.

Okay we know that both consoles are fifth generation so with the due losses they could both run the same games, but the question is: Can SF Alpha 2 from Snes be compared with SF Alpha 2 from Saturn? can we consider it a true street fighter alpha 2 or were the downgrades so massive that it is no longer the same game? x-men ps1 and saturn are the same game ?

Dungeons and Dragons from arcade cps2 runs with 4 players and lots of animations, saturn runs with 2 players and some animations have been lost, from my experience, PS1 runs 2D games with about 50% of the animations, Saturn version, so I can say that a ps1 version of DD would be downgraded, so we can almost say that Guardiam Heroes and Dragon Force are impossible on PS1 unless there are massive cuts, and to make it more fun I'm pretty sure that Enemy Zero would be impossible on the N64 as well.

this is a matter of specs and those of saturn are bigger, only loses in vpd 1 in about 15 frames in my observation. it remains to measure the degree of loss of ps1 when simulating VDP2 in games like DOA and Grandia. If VDP1+vpd2 > ps1.
    Last edited by SegaAMD; 01-24-2020 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaAMD View Post
    SEGA challenged that producer to make games that were ''impossible'' on PS1..
    What... you think a 3D on-rails shooter couldn't be done on the PS1?. Snes fans would have you believe that Street Fighter II couldn't be done on the Mega Drive, only for the MD to do it. Mega Drive fans would say Steet's Of Rage II would be impossible on the SNES, only for the game to appear on the Master System or how Gunstar heroes could only be done on the Mega Drive, only for it to come out on the Master System . I remember PS1 fans and some PS Mag's saying Resident Evil would be impossible for the Saturn to handle, or how Resident Evil 4 could only be done on the Cube, only for it come out for the PS2 . I'm sure Smilbit said how JSR couldn' be done on the PS2, only for the PS 2 to handle the likes of Viewtiful Joe

I think you're trolling, to be honest, but the PS was able to run many CP1 and CP2 games, maybe you should play the Capcom Collection 1 to 4 to find out. Sure, Guardian Heroes and Dragon Force would lose out, but it's hardly impossible on the PS1 and given Enemy Zero was a 4 disc CD game, I think it's fairly obvious ,it couldn't be done on the N64.For storage reasons, if nothing else
    Last edited by Team Andromeda; 01-25-2020 at 12:28 AM.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Most of the VDP2 effects could be done by the Playstation with a decent software library to simulate it, even the infinite plains.
    The PS had big issues trying to emulate that effect, very apparent in games like Thunder Force V. Sure it could pull it off, it just didn't look anywhere near as good. But like with anything do with the Saturn. Many people rather point out it's weak PS ports, rather than the games the Saturn does better than the PS . When a PS game is worse than the Saturn version,then it's down then to the developer.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi

I don't know of any PSX games that actually try to emulate that effect at all, other than the SNES ports the system got. For Thunder Force V and DOA they changed it to a polygonal ground instead of emulating it, which is why they look worse. Like I said, one could do that effect pixel perfect on the PSX, but this would assume that you have the exact same background graphics in memory, and the PSX just does not have the VRAM to do that on top of running the rest of the game. It's why they opt for polygonal ground instead; they only need 2-3 textures for that instead of the whole tile map.

Thread Information