Quantcast

Thread: Mega Drive anime titles and my thoughts on them

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

Default Mega Drive anime titles and my thoughts on them

My first ever topic, thought I'd post my thoughts about anime based games on the Mega Drive. I don't know them all, I'd love to see everyone else's thoughts on games of this ilk.

Sailor Moon: Outside of repetitive enemies in pretty much any SM beat em up, I love how fast the game moves, the beautiful colors, and a balanced difficulty outside of the last boss. Sadly it is expensive, couldn't have had a small print run. Beautiful game nonetheless, hit detection seems pretty tight too.

Doraemon: Outside of being a bit too easy, and giving 1Ups out like a Pez dispenser (and it's asking price, ouch), the level design is a bit strange, but it is a fun game, despite how easy it is.

Crayon Shin-Chan: I thought this and the SFC game were identical, turns out, they really aren't in some areas (the end of the game is different for one). A bit simplistic in level design, but nice colors, excellent graphics, the turnoff, the price again.

Devil Hunter Yohko: I feel this game gets a bad rap, it is a great game, fantastic soundtrack, level design that is tight, and a timer than is as well, don't expect to explore stages all that much. Probably the most expensive of the MD anime games. I'm not sure why I've seen people over the years crap on this game, it is not bad like some have claimed, I've had a lot of fun with it in emulation.

Magical Taruruto-kun: Game Freak did an excellent job with this game, it seems to push more colors on the screen than I've seen in any MD game, the music is great, the level design is fantastic. Outside of one really difficult area (for me at least, the stage where you are flying, and animals stick their head up to try and knock you off), the game isn't too difficult, nor is it too easy, it's just right. Plus replay value trying to find missing people, I've seen videos, but never one where everyone that was missing was found (towards the end credits, you'll see a text box with no one standing beside it, that is someone you didn't find). Never really hear much about this game, it's price can be decent at times.

Osomatsu-kun: Hachamecha Gekijō: This is probably the weakest of the anime games IMO on the MD, the music is meh, the colors are alright, it feels like this one was rushed out to get on the console before release date, feels very unpolished.

I know I'm forgetting some for the console.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

There's also these:

Hokuto no Ken (Last Battle)
    Magical Hat no Buttobi Tābo! Daibōken (Decap Attack)
    Gambler Jiko Chuushinha (manga)
    Nadia
    Shura no Mon
    Aah! Harimanada
    Mazin Saga: Mutant Fighter
    Yū Yū Hakusho Makyō Tōitsusen
    Dragon Ball Z: Buyu Retsuden
    Yū Yū Hakusho: Gaiden
    Slam Dunk

Might be more that I missed. And then there some Mega CD games too.

Master of Shinobi

Don't forget Mystic Defender aka Kujaku Ou 2. The western version was altered, but the game was originally an anime license.

Not a bad game. Not great, but a solid early action platformer with some creepy enemy designs.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Stifu's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodreign View Post
    Magical Taruruto-kun: Game Freak did an excellent job with this game, it seems to push more colors on the screen than I've seen in any MD game, the music is great, the level design is fantastic. Outside of one really difficult area (for me at least, the stage where you are flying, and animals stick their head up to try and knock you off), the game isn't too difficult, nor is it too easy, it's just right. Plus replay value trying to find missing people, I've seen videos, but never one where everyone that was missing was found (towards the end credits, you'll see a text box with no one standing beside it, that is someone you didn't find). Never really hear much about this game, it's price can be decent at times.
    It's a pretty nice game, but I remember it being quite short.

My favorite Mega Drive game based on an anime: Honō no Dōkyūji: Dodge Danpei

I know it's not great, but I kind of like Last Battle.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Silanda View Post
    Don't forget Mystic Defender aka Kujaku Ou 2.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stifu View Post
    My favorite Mega Drive game based on an anime: Honō no Dōkyūji: Dodge Danpei
    I knew I missed a few.

That reminds me: Makoto Ogino, who created Kujaku Ou, was responsible for doing the story and characters of the MD game King Colossus. It's no secret, just a piece of interesting info for those who enjoy King Colossus.

Almost counts...:

I'd much rather someone try and complete Akira for the Genesis than Hollywood make a live-action movie... and for the love of God, I hope that never happens...

I knew I forgot quite a few of them, I always thought Mystic Defender was based on a live action film, but it is also an anime and a manga. I'd love to find the anime to watch it, but that might be next to impossible. As for Taruruto, yeah, it is a bit short, but the ride is fun while it lasts. I completely forgot about Hokuto no Ken, since Sega really censored the hell out of it with Last Battle. Thank you Gryson, that's a pretty nice list of stuff I either didn't know about, or forgot about.

As for Mystic Defender, it's a nice early platformer, quirky, but I tend to like quirky. And of course I do love left to right scrolling platformers (or vice versa). I know the protagonist's outfit was changed up, and that some revision's have the nude woman at the end that you rescue. Thankfully this game didn't get the extreme censorship makeover that Hokuto no Ken got in the west.
    Last edited by Bloodreign; 01-14-2020 at 12:45 AM.

Sailor Moon: Outside of repetitive enemies in pretty much any SM beat em up, I love how fast the game moves, the beautiful colors, and a balanced difficulty outside of the last boss. Sadly it is expensive, couldn't have had a small print run. Beautiful game nonetheless, hit detection seems pretty tight too.
    The gameplay differs highly with the Sailor Warrior you choose. If you play as Sailor Moon the game is really fine but playing as Sailor Venus is totally broken. Her attack is the Venus-love-me-chain and it takes forever to kill a single enemy with it because it hardly cause any damage and the enemy instantly drop off his feet (no possibility of combo attacks). There is another Sailor which has a similar attack but I forgot which one it was.
    So playing is only fun with 3 out of 5 Sailors.

Quote Originally Posted by Raistlin View Post
    The gameplay differs highly with the Sailor Warrior you choose. If you play as Sailor Moon the game is really fine but playing as Sailor Venus is totally broken. Her attack is the Venus-love-me-chain and it takes forever to kill a single enemy with it because it hardly cause any damage and the enemy instantly drop off his feet (no possibility of combo attacks). There is another Sailor which has a similar attack but I forgot which one it was.
    So playing is only fun with 3 out of 5 Sailors.
    Well to be honest since it's a long ranged attack, they may have intentionally weakened it to keep you from being dominant with the attack. I've heard Sailor Jupiter is extremely powerful in both the MD and SFC game, and that she got weakened considerably for Sailor Moon R for SFC (both of these can be had for cheap). I have both the SFC beat em ups, and I do know her grapple moves take off a considerable chunk of an enemy's health in the first game, just never really used her for R. I'm tempted to fire up a ROM of the MD version, and see if she's as dominant in that game as I've heard.

Well to be honest since it's a long ranged attack, they may have intentionally weakened it to keep you from being dominant with the attack. I've heard Sailor Jupiter is extremely powerful in both the MD and SFC game, and that she got weakened considerably for Sailor Moon R for SFC (both of these can be had for cheap). I have both the SFC beat em ups, and I do know her grapple moves take off a considerable chunk of an enemy's health in the first game, just never really used her for R. I'm tempted to fire up a ROM of the MD version, and see if she's as dominant in that game as I've heard.
    Yeah but it takes forever to kill a single minor enemy so it gets boring with Venus pretty fast.

The Treasure Yu Yu Hakusho fighting game is the best weeaboo game on the system by miles. So much care for the source material was crafted into that. Plus it had 4 player matches before Super Smash Plebs made it cool.

Thread Information