Quantcast

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Jim Power In the Lost Dimension for Sega Genesis/Megadrive

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

I wonder if in this day and age porting Turrican I-II from scratch would produce better results, of course using 32megabit size as default for both...

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Eidolon's Avatar

I got my Kickstarter pledge yesterday. Very nice game!
    I recorded some footage from real hardware.
    Watch me die a hundred times, but at least I made it into the final stage VII. :-)
    https://youtu.be/ncbG1WzZklY

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

Wonder if the Steam release is gonna be updated with the long-promised Mega Drive version as well.
    Formerly known as -RT

Gorgeous game for the MD, congratulations Piko on achieving this.

Nameless One

I got a copy recently too. It's an okay game. The flying levels where you can shoot are pretty bad. Crap just jumps out at you with no time to react. I imagine with enough play throughs I could memorize how to get through each part. I'm also trying to convince myself that water droplets of death are not the WORST thing in a videogames. ha ha.

Overall not bad. Wish that Retro-bit did these though, because there reproductions are the next level.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    I got my Kickstarter pledge yesterday. Very nice game!
    I recorded some footage from real hardware.
    Watch me die a hundred times, but at least I made it into the final stage VII. :-)
    https://youtu.be/ncbG1WzZklY
    Being from Germany, I suppose you also got a blue Mega Drive box design. It seems Piko is shipping a blue European Mega Drive variant and a not-sure-how-it-looks North American Genesis variant based on the region the copy is sent to, rather than at request. Not that I complain though, but I found this somewhat curious. Also, it's thankful that, at least with the European copy, Piko went with reproducing not only the later blue design (more fitting for the then planned release window of this game), but also the faithful "Mega Drive" logo as if it's still a licensed game instead of the generic, trademark-free "16-BIT CART"-esque that some other companies prefer to do.

Anyone with a North American copy can show it to see what's like? Attached is the European one (even though the cartridge says Genesis, so it must be exactly the same for both variants, ā la EA).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Is that an OST CD + poster? Does the CD work with a Sega CD to play music, like Pier Solar, or is it just an extra?

Yeah, it's an OST CD and a poster. The former contains the redbook audio tracks of the PC Engine CD version. And it is just an extra, yes. No way to make it work alongside the game unless someone does a Mode 1 hack.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

That boxart is just as beautiful as the music of the game. Can't wait to get my copies!

The Demons of Asteborg guys also showed the Mega Drive logo on their boxart recently. I wonder if Sega has started to license it.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Eidolon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Wesker View Post
    Being from Germany, I suppose you also got a blue Mega Drive box design.
    Yeah, I was not happy with that either, especially because there was a SNAFU with the game logo, like with Alien 3.
    I made a bit fun of it on my Twitter account: https://twitter.com/Goetholon/status...33587571085312
    But at least Piko promised to correct it, though it is not clear if only for new production runs, or if backers like use can request a "better" cover. I would prefer a North-American design to fit with the cartridge label.

Quote Originally Posted by Zebbe View Post
    The Demons of Asteborg guys also showed the Mega Drive logo on their boxart recently. I wonder if Sega has started to license it.
    I don't think Sega is licensing anything for these releases. These companies actually disregard their involvement in the games' packaging. More like some of these companies are more daring than others, prefering to stick with as faithful as possible Mega Drive packaging even if Sega could pose any objection to it. Which doesn't seem like it's going to be the case, it never was with the WaterMelon limited edition releases anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Eidolon View Post
    Yeah, I was not happy with that either, especially because there was a SNAFU with the game logo, like with Alien 3.
    I made a bit fun of it on my Twitter account: https://twitter.com/Goetholon/status...33587571085312
    But at least Piko promised to correct it, though it is not clear if only for new production runs, or if backers like use can request a "better" cover. I would prefer a North-American design to fit with the cartridge label.
    Oh, but I'm not unhappy with the blue design. Not only that is my prefered Mega Drive design (I'm a sucker for blue color), I also prefer that all 1994 titles onwards carry it for consistency reasons and this version was built in December 1993, so chances are we wouldn't have been seen it before 1994 then. But you are right about the logo being missing on the side. I also own the North American version of Astal for the Sega Saturn which suffers from the same issue too. Interesting to know Piko is going to fix that somehow.

You are also right about the cartridge (also the manual) being inconsistent this way. Then again, this was also the case with Electronic Arts releases back in the day, so in this particular I prefer to stick with the European blue boxart design nevertheless.

Looks great, I wonder how it'll compare against the SNES Copy?

Quote Originally Posted by AkumajoBelmont View Post
    Great news! Will the Steam PC version be updated with all of these? I got it a while back, and have been hanging out for the Mega Drive version
    Quote Originally Posted by Allard View Post
    Wonder if the Steam release is gonna be updated with the long-promised Mega Drive version as well.
    The NES version is supposedly going to be DLC for the Steam package, as is a soundtrack of some kind (the PC Engine version's music perhaps?).

As far as the Genesis version actually being added on Steam goes, someone back in April said they'd contacted Piko Interactive via email, and were told the Mega Drive version would be added in a few weeks. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. I mean, it did take some four years after its being mentioned for the Kickstarter to finally happen after all, so taking some salt may be needed for the time frame they gave. And while I'd like to be pleasantly surprised after waiting over five years for it, I won't be holding my breath.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

The Shadow knows Road Rasher Allard's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Coop View Post
    The NES version is supposedly going to be DLC for the Steam package, as is a soundtrack of some kind (the PC Engine version's music perhaps?).

As far as the Genesis version actually being added on Steam goes, someone back in April said they'd contacted Piko Interactive via email, and were told the Mega Drive version would be added in a few weeks. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. I mean, it did take some four years after its being mentioned for the Kickstarter to finally happen after all, so taking some salt may be needed for the time frame they gave. And while I'd like to be pleasantly surprised after waiting over five years for it, I won't be holding my breath.
    That was me, I can provide screenshots if needed. Still feeling bummed that it's not on Steam yet, I already saw Mega Drive ROMs of the Piko version out in the wild.
    Formerly known as -RT

Quote Originally Posted by Allard View Post
    That was me, I can provide screenshots if needed. Still feeling bummed that it's not on Steam yet, I already saw Mega Drive ROMs of the Piko version out in the wild.
    I saw that as well a few weeks ago. It's disappointing that the prototype and the finished PI version of the game are already out there for anyone to download, yet here we Steam users are, still waiting.

Currently Reviewing: Galaxy Force (SMS)
    Coming Up:TF3 Side by Side
    Done: Jim Power: The Lost Dimension

Thread Information