Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 31

Thread: Jim Power In the Lost Dimension for Sega Genesis/Megadrive

  1. #16
    Road Rasher pikointeractive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kaze Okami View Post
    Not what I meant but that answered another question of mine. I mean it would be cool to be able to play the MD version with the PCE-CD music either by utilising the Mega-CD like how Pier Solar did or by making a MD+ version for use on the Mega SD.
    Ahhh Got it, we'll see. Depends on the final goal and the demand of the different requests we've been asked for.

  2. #17
    Master of Shinobi Pyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,885
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    Every version looks very good but nes version is outstanding!!

    is possible share some videos from each version running on ?

    Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

  3. #18
    Road Rasher pikointeractive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Every version looks very good but nes version is outstanding!!

    is possible share some videos from each version running on ?
    Well the main KS video, I did footage capture from the actual Emulator (for the SNES, Genesis, and NES versions). and I captured the songs and edited all together.

    There are some stuff in the NES version that is great and I really want to keep it a surprise =D. I'll release a Demo rom (for NES) after all the youtubers that promised reviews review it.

    May be we can do a video of the games playing on console here at the office, the only console Im missing is TGFX CD, but I should be getting one soon.

  4. #19
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training jrdoran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Posts
    14
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Hey Piko I decided to pledge! Will we be able to pick the version were getting closer to release? Less than 3k to go lets get this funded!

  5. #20
    Road Rasher pikointeractive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by jrdoran View Post
    Hey Piko I decided to pledge! Will we be able to pick the version were getting closer to release? Less than 3k to go lets get this funded!
    yeah, when the survey is ready you will be able to pick which version you want there =D.

  6. #21
    Outrunner EPSYLON EAGLE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    680
    Rep Power
    18

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pikointeractive View Post
    Here is the link to the track 5 Song.

    https://www.dropbox.com/s/3blc7jd4v8...nesis.mp3?dl=0

    As for Sega CD, well those are either Re-releases or conversion (not native ports) so a Sega CD version with improvements would have to be a native port I think, and it would be a lot of trouble. And we have never done a Sega CD project, which we would have limited customer base to make up for the the minimum quantities to do it right, and it could probably complicate and delay the whole project.

    May be in the future.
    Thanks man!

  7. #22
    Master of Shinobi Pyron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    1,885
    Rep Power
    60

    Default

    I was looking at the video footage at your kickstarter page and i noticed thats the MD version looks like the beta version..
    i was think thats since you guys are including content could correct some thing on the game,
    like the artwork thats could be retouched to lloks more detalied and matchs more closely the amiga and snes version,
    also i noticed thats the colors are badly used and you can improve the color count on the screen using some tweaks here and there..

    one fast work here...
    can be improved but ofc but show how we can increase the colors on the screen,
    if i edit the artwork can be alot more improved



    Piko had any plan to improve the grafics on md version ?

    Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

  8. #23
    Road Rasher pikointeractive's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    364
    Rep Power
    24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I was looking at the video footage at your kickstarter page and i noticed thats the MD version looks like the beta version..
    i was think thats since you guys are including content could correct some thing on the game,
    like the artwork thats could be retouched to lloks more detalied and matchs more closely the amiga and snes version,
    also i noticed thats the colors are badly used and you can improve the color count on the screen using some tweaks here and there..

    one fast work here...
    can be improved but ofc but show how we can increase the colors on the screen,
    if i edit the artwork can be alot more improved



    Piko had any plan to improve the grafics on md version ?
    It is not the Beta Rom floating around. It is a final version. But I like what you have done in a couple of the screenshots. May be we should talk.

  9. #24
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training
    Join Date
    Jul 2016
    Posts
    1
    Rep Power
    0

    Default

    Great news! Will the Steam PC version be updated with all of these? I got it a while back, and have been hanging out for the Mega Drive version

  10. #25
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Aleste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    https://tay.kinja.com/buck-rogers-in...ury-1600213878

    Interestingly, I always thought the main sprite change from "black-haired, music listener punk" to "all-american blonde hero" was a sort of whitewashing to appeal the broader Super Nintendo US market. Instead, only recently I understood that the hair color and suit change mimic closely the style of Buck Rogers, which this game at one stage had secured the license to.

    If put into perspective, this means the fate of Turrican II / Universal Soldier was standard practice back then, And of course, it was logical from a purely marketing point of view. We must remember franchises such as Turrican or (to a very lesser extent) Jim Power, which now commands a niche cult following by retro enthusiasts, were literally obscure stuff back in the day.

  11. #26
    Raging in the Streets Sik's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Posts
    3,615
    Rep Power
    65

    Default

    In the case of Turrican there was also the issue that it, uh, flopped hard on the console (turns out that the health system it uses is a pain in the ass). Though now I wonder if they ever considered releasing Turrican II as-is despite that and then got a license, or if they pursued a license because it flopped (i.e. which of the two may have been the main motivation).

  12. #27
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Aleste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    The health system isn't the main problem with Code Monkey port though. It could have benefited to have the jump system selectable through options (make it either UP or a button, not both at the same time), but the biggest issue is that it plays really too fast in 60hz. play it at PAL speed and the game makes sense once again.

    (They had learned from this at least, as Universal Soldier plays solid at either 50 or 60 hz)

  13. #28
    Nameless One
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    37
    Posts
    66
    Rep Power
    14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
    The health system isn't the main problem with Code Monkey port though. It could have benefited to have the jump system selectable through options (make it either UP or a button, not both at the same time), but the biggest issue is that it plays really too fast in 60hz. play it at PAL speed and the game makes sense once again.

    (They had learned from this at least, as Universal Soldier plays solid at either 50 or 60 hz)
    Is it possible to fix the 60Hz problem?

    The worse thing about the Code Monkey version is the music.

  14. #29
    Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Aleste's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2018
    Posts
    89
    Rep Power
    2

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tisurame View Post
    Is it possible to fix the 60Hz problem?
    Cartridge isn't region locked, so as long as you have a modded Megadrive with hz selector switch you're fine.

    Agree that the music conversion is pedestrian to say the least. Again Universal Soldier fares a lot better in that regard (comparatively speaking - no match for the Amiga original of course).

    Come to think both Turrican and Universal Soldier on Genesis would really welcome some carefully done romhacking.

  15. #30
    Outrunner Wesker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Posts
    666
    Rep Power
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
    Cartridge isn't region locked, so as long as you have a modded Megadrive with hz selector switch you're fine.

    Agree that the music conversion is pedestrian to say the least. Again Universal Soldier fares a lot better in that regard (comparatively speaking - no match for the Amiga original of course).

    Come to think both Turrican and Universal Soldier on Genesis would really welcome some carefully done romhacking.
    Turrican already had a romhack performed by LinkueiBR which improved color palette and also reduced life gauge drainage.

    I myself attempted a Universal Soldier romhack to restore all the Turrican II assets but couldn't do it beyond the Turrican sprite and all his animations (which was a long task for sure) and some other minor things like the HUD and some scenery details. Graphics compression difficult doing much else.

    Regarding music, it's clear these two games must have MD+ hacks performed for the Mega SD in order to solve that.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •