Quantcast

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jim Power In the Lost Dimension for Sega Genesis/Megadrive

Quote Originally Posted by Kaze Okami View Post
    Not what I meant but that answered another question of mine. I mean it would be cool to be able to play the MD version with the PCE-CD music either by utilising the Mega-CD like how Pier Solar did or by making a MD+ version for use on the Mega SD.
    Ahhh Got it, we'll see. Depends on the final goal and the demand of the different requests we've been asked for.

Every version looks very good but nes version is outstanding!!

is possible share some videos from each version running on ?

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    Every version looks very good but nes version is outstanding!!

is possible share some videos from each version running on ?
    Well the main KS video, I did footage capture from the actual Emulator (for the SNES, Genesis, and NES versions). and I captured the songs and edited all together.

There are some stuff in the NES version that is great and I really want to keep it a surprise =D. I'll release a Demo rom (for NES) after all the youtubers that promised reviews review it.

May be we can do a video of the games playing on console here at the office, the only console Im missing is TGFX CD, but I should be getting one soon.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training jrdoran's Avatar

Hey Piko I decided to pledge! Will we be able to pick the version were getting closer to release? Less than 3k to go lets get this funded!

Quote Originally Posted by jrdoran View Post
    Hey Piko I decided to pledge! Will we be able to pick the version were getting closer to release? Less than 3k to go lets get this funded!
    yeah, when the survey is ready you will be able to pick which version you want there =D.

Quote Originally Posted by pikointeractive View Post
    Here is the link to the track 5 Song.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3blc7jd4v8...nesis.mp3?dl=0

As for Sega CD, well those are either Re-releases or conversion (not native ports) so a Sega CD version with improvements would have to be a native port I think, and it would be a lot of trouble. And we have never done a Sega CD project, which we would have limited customer base to make up for the the minimum quantities to do it right, and it could probably complicate and delay the whole project.

May be in the future.
    Thanks man!

I was looking at the video footage at your kickstarter page and i noticed thats the MD version looks like the beta version..
    i was think thats since you guys are including content could correct some thing on the game,
    like the artwork thats could be retouched to lloks more detalied and matchs more closely the amiga and snes version,
    also i noticed thats the colors are badly used and you can improve the color count on the screen using some tweaks here and there..

one fast work here...
    can be improved but ofc but show how we can increase the colors on the screen,
    if i edit the artwork can be alot more improved

Piko had any plan to improve the grafics on md version ?

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Quote Originally Posted by Pyron View Post
    I was looking at the video footage at your kickstarter page and i noticed thats the MD version looks like the beta version..
    i was think thats since you guys are including content could correct some thing on the game,
    like the artwork thats could be retouched to lloks more detalied and matchs more closely the amiga and snes version,
    also i noticed thats the colors are badly used and you can improve the color count on the screen using some tweaks here and there..

one fast work here...
    can be improved but ofc but show how we can increase the colors on the screen,
    if i edit the artwork can be alot more improved

Piko had any plan to improve the grafics on md version ?
    It is not the Beta Rom floating around. It is a final version. But I like what you have done in a couple of the screenshots. May be we should talk.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Great news! Will the Steam PC version be updated with all of these? I got it a while back, and have been hanging out for the Mega Drive version

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One Aleste's Avatar

https://tay.kinja.com/buck-rogers-in...ury-1600213878

Interestingly, I always thought the main sprite change from "black-haired, music listener punk" to "all-american blonde hero" was a sort of whitewashing to appeal the broader Super Nintendo US market. Instead, only recently I understood that the hair color and suit change mimic closely the style of Buck Rogers, which this game at one stage had secured the license to.

If put into perspective, this means the fate of Turrican II / Universal Soldier was standard practice back then, And of course, it was logical from a purely marketing point of view. We must remember franchises such as Turrican or (to a very lesser extent) Jim Power, which now commands a niche cult following by retro enthusiasts, were literally obscure stuff back in the day.

In the case of Turrican there was also the issue that it, uh, flopped hard on the console (turns out that the health system it uses is a pain in the ass). Though now I wonder if they ever considered releasing Turrican II as-is despite that and then got a license, or if they pursued a license because it flopped (i.e. which of the two may have been the main motivation).

The health system isn't the main problem with Code Monkey port though. It could have benefited to have the jump system selectable through options (make it either UP or a button, not both at the same time), but the biggest issue is that it plays really too fast in 60hz. play it at PAL speed and the game makes sense once again.

(They had learned from this at least, as Universal Soldier plays solid at either 50 or 60 hz)

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
    The health system isn't the main problem with Code Monkey port though. It could have benefited to have the jump system selectable through options (make it either UP or a button, not both at the same time), but the biggest issue is that it plays really too fast in 60hz. play it at PAL speed and the game makes sense once again.

(They had learned from this at least, as Universal Soldier plays solid at either 50 or 60 hz)
    Is it possible to fix the 60Hz problem?

The worse thing about the Code Monkey version is the music.

Quote Originally Posted by tisurame View Post
    Is it possible to fix the 60Hz problem?
    Cartridge isn't region locked, so as long as you have a modded Megadrive with hz selector switch you're fine.

Agree that the music conversion is pedestrian to say the least. Again Universal Soldier fares a lot better in that regard (comparatively speaking - no match for the Amiga original of course).

Come to think both Turrican and Universal Soldier on Genesis would really welcome some carefully done romhacking.

Quote Originally Posted by Aleste View Post
    Cartridge isn't region locked, so as long as you have a modded Megadrive with hz selector switch you're fine.

Agree that the music conversion is pedestrian to say the least. Again Universal Soldier fares a lot better in that regard (comparatively speaking - no match for the Amiga original of course).

Come to think both Turrican and Universal Soldier on Genesis would really welcome some carefully done romhacking.
    Turrican already had a romhack performed by LinkueiBR which improved color palette and also reduced life gauge drainage.

I myself attempted a Universal Soldier romhack to restore all the Turrican II assets but couldn't do it beyond the Turrican sprite and all his animations (which was a long task for sure) and some other minor things like the HUD and some scenery details. Graphics compression difficult doing much else.

Regarding music, it's clear these two games must have MD+ hacks performed for the Mega SD in order to solve that.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Thread Information