Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New DC HDMi cable from Columus Circle

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaDreamcast View Post
    Thanks for the recommendation. The Marseille at $120-$140+ shipping is a bit steep for a video cable, since you'd still have to buy a high end HDMI converter on top of it. I'll research YouTube 'before and after' graphic comparisons later.
    I know. it is very steep, but my god is it worth it!!! I had a friend come over who only uses regular vga and he couldn't believe his eyes. the upscaling and anti aliasing from the cable is like magic. you do need a properly working converter though indeed. I got mine for like 50 euros.

Quote Originally Posted by CrossBow View Post
    For that cost you might as well go with the DCHDMI kit as that runs $150. Only trick to that is needing to get a mini HDMI cable to full HDMI to actually use it but I love how it looks on my setup.
    no it's not. dchdmi doesn't add anti aliasing or even upscaling. the marseille mcable has to be seen to believed. I bit the bullet and it's like I own a new console.

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Virtua Hunter View Post
    I'm waiting for the componente cable from HD retrovision too, is there any news?

I can't use other cable because I have a problem with image shifting with Dreamcast, and that component cable promised to solve this.

I'm also looking for other option, this Columbus circle cable seems cheap too, but if it's low quality and doen't resolve the image shifting, it's useless for me.
    I could be wrong, but I think I remember in one of Adam Koralik's youtube vids he says there's an easy fix for the shifting image. I think you just have to turn on the console 1st, THEN turn on your tv, and it should be centered. I'm not 100% sure that it's the same situation because I don't know what your setup is, but it sounds like the same thing, so may want to look into that.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    no it's not. dchdmi doesn't add anti aliasing or even upscaling. the marseille mcable has to be seen to believed. I bit the bullet and it's like I own a new console.
    I took your advice and ordered the mcable and a Toro (and an akura for the heck of it, have multiple dreamcasts). Looking forward to trying it out on a few of my systems.

*sorry about the double post, I don't know how to quote multiple people.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    I could be wrong, but I think I remember in one of Adam Koralik's youtube vids he says there's an easy fix for the shifting image. I think you just have to turn on the console 1st, THEN turn on your tv, and it should be centered. I'm not 100% sure that it's the same situation because I don't know what your setup is, but it sounds like the same thing, so may want to look into that.
    Yeah I read that too some years ago, unfortunately it doesn't change the image shifing, at least in my case.

Ahh that's too bad, hope you get it figured out.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt Ball Gamer View Post
    I took your advice and ordered the mcable and a Toro (and an akura for the heck of it, have multiple dreamcasts). Looking forward to trying it out on a few of my systems.

*sorry about the double post, I don't know how to quote multiple people.
    please keep me informed! what tv are you going to use it on?

For now I'm just using a very average midsize LED tv a friend gave to me when he upgraded his tv. Before that I was just using some nice crt's. I was going to get a really nice new OLED on black Friday, but I've decided that I want to wait until after ps5/xbsx launch then I will get a really nice one probably in the 70+ inch range. I decided years ago to skip the ps4 generation of gaming and to focus on all my other consoles in the meantime. The waiting has been hard but I go over to friend's houses and get to use their ps4's. I figure the tv I get should probably be the last piece of the puzzle that I attempt since tv technology is always advancing.

I got the mcable and hooked it up to my ps3. Switched the ps3 from 1080p down to 720p, to let the cable do the upscaling. It looks very nice, altho I've read a few accounts of people saying it has a slightly negative effect on black gradients, but I haven't really noticed it. I just ordered the mclassic usb plug in from Marseille because I've heard that one is better for dreamcast etc and has the option to display it in the proper aspect ratio. Should be here in a few days as well as the akura and Toro I ordered. Also have an OSSC coming in the mail, although I've been hearing some accounts that the OSSC may have some issues working with the mclassic, but I haven't heard specifically what the issue is.

Anyway I'm going to have a lot of fiddling around to do trying to get all this stuff set up and optimized, but I'm really looking forward to upgrading the dreamcast's picture as I've been playing it in composite since it launched. Should look way better! I have a HDMI kit for dreamcast, I'm wanting to send it to a modder to do the install for me, plus a few other mods like GD emu and a clear blue case etc, I'd like to swap the orange power led for a red led also, but I'm not going to attempt it until after this pandemic business settles down a bit.

The neat thing is I will be able to directly compare the picture of the dreamcast across all the different set ups. I have a big ass Sony BVM monitor that I want to get up in the mix also.
    Last edited by Dirt Ball Gamer; 04-08-2020 at 12:14 PM.

usually put on movie option. that has the best image quality and then put mcable on. the lower the native resolution the better the end result. mcable is amazing for 480p

Thread Information