Quantcast

Thread: CRT Aspect Ratio Correction

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Default CRT Aspect Ratio Correction

Hi everyone. I have a 16:9 CRT from Panasonic that looks and sounds great. The only problem is that for an RGB source it won't allow a 4:3 AR to be selected, it even details this in the manual.

I have managed to squeeze it a bit in the service menu, but not quite enough. I have tried an RGB to S Video converter box that allows me to select 4:3, but going from RGB this looks quite awful from a visual fidelity perspective.

I will next try, when I find it from storage, my VHS DVD double decker as a 'route through' device, it has lots of ins and outs, and might allow me to change AR...

I wonder though, is there such a thing as an 'analogue Framemeister' type solution anyone knows about?

I could get a 4:3 CRT, but this is a good set and was free. Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert majinga's Avatar

That's odd. I never seen a tv which don't let you to force the aspect ratio.
    Check the scart, to allow the TV to be auto set in 4:3 you need to feed about 12v on the scart PIN 8.

Most of the time on this PIN you find 5v wich
    allow the TV to auto switch on the channel. But set the aspect ratio to 16:9
    Last edited by majinga; 01-23-2020 at 12:44 PM.

Thank you, I'll look into that. The manual states specifically that RGB sources are limited to 16:9 AR or a zoom setting. It sure is weird.

So I tried my Panasonic Diga DVD VHS behemoth with no joy. Any other ideas anyone?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

If the manual states that it doesn’t support 4:3, then you may be stuck. Did you try manjinga’s Suggestion by setting pin 8 to 1w Volts? I made my own rgb cable with an extra circuit to up the 5v to 12v to automatically switch to 4:3. But my tv supports rgb with 4:3, so this may be a moot point for you :/

Cheers, that'll be my next thing. I have managed to change things a little with the service menu, so it's a little better.

Thread Information