Quantcast

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electronic Arts' Genesis Catalog Thread

Master of Shinobi

Default Electronic Arts' Genesis Catalog Thread

We're going to talk about EA's Genesis offerings. I know EA did a ton of Amiga ports to the Genesis since it was a Motorola 68K system. I never grew up with the euro computers like Commodore 64 or Amiga so it was an interesting introduction to them, and in all honesty I need to explore them further. What is your experience with these games and which are your favorite overall?

Nameless One

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    We're going to talk about EA's Genesis offerings. I know EA did a ton of Amiga ports to the Genesis since it was a Motorola 68K system. I never grew up with the euro computers like Commodore 64 or Amiga so it was an interesting introduction to them, and in all honesty I need to explore them further. What is your experience with these games and which are your favorite overall?
    EA had a pretty monster list of games on the Mega Drive. Up until 95, they put out lots of unique titles. I only have a few of their non-sports games:

688 Attack Sub
    Blades of Vengeance
    Desert Strike
    Road Rash
    Road Rash II

I would love to get Risky Woods, Rolo, and Shadow of the Beast II, but they're not cheap anymore, and I have an Everdrive, so it's no longer a priority for me.

I'm not a big fan of their earlier games / Amiga ports. Games like Budokan, Sword of Sodan, Centurion, and Dark Castle are just not very fun to play. However after 1992, they were firing on all cylinders, and started putting out really good games. Games that are still entertaining to go back to. I can still go back and play Coach K, or Mutant League Hockey, or General Chaos.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Gaptoothedidiot's Avatar

Wow, what a great topic. There are so so many great games published by EA its hard to know where to start. They also put out a good load of piss.

As Mr Jones points to, the Road Rash and the Strike games are incredible. Oddly, I love some of the piss ones. Crue Ball is often living in my megadrive for a reason I can't justify.

Would I be right in saying that it was EA who first identified that God sims could be played on the Megadrive? I've got to hand it to them for their ambition and pushing the hardware of the megadrive

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

Here are most of the non-EA Sports EA games I own, and a few others I can think of off hand.

Battle Squadron (decent shoot em up, not great but not bad)

Blades of Vengeance (fun sword and sorcery hack n slash)

Buck Rogers (cool looking RPG with many fans, havent played it)

Cre Ball (fun pinball game with Motley Crue soundtrack)

Fatal Rewind (never played this one, but always wanted to, if you've played it, tell us about it)

General Chaos (strategy military game with cartoonish graphics, very fun. Capture the flag style gameplay)

Haunting Starring Polter Guy (fun, creative game. You control a ghoul and have to devise different ways to haunt a family in each room of a mansion. The goal is to scare them enough to leave the house for good)

James Pond series (never played, but were quite popular)

Lotus series (fun racing games, but lesser ports)

Marble Madness (meh, the nes port controls much better)

Mutant League Football and Hockey (fun, goofy games using their NHL and Madden engines)

PGA I-III and European (avoid 96 though, I think these are the best golf games on the console. III has digitized graphics, and it works beautifully, looks comparable to the Links PC series)

Road Rash series (some of the best games on the console, if you havent played these, shame on you)

Strike series (great overhead helicopter shooters in detailed environments, very popular series in the 90s)

Super Baseball 2020 (good port of neogeo game)

Theme Park (has its detractors, but I think this game is an accomplishment on the Gen hardware. It's a PC game with better ports on more powerful consoles (3do, PS1), but it's still great on the Gen. There can be slowdown when a lot is going on the screen at once, but overall it plays great. A real programming triumph for the console imo)

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    Fatal Rewind (never played this one, but always wanted to, if you've played it, tell us about it)

Haunting Starring Polter Guy (fun, creative game. You control a ghoul and have to devise different ways to haunt a family in each room of a mansion. The goal is to scare them enough to leave the house for good)
    Fatal Rewind is a decent run 'n gun, a bit difficult though.

Haunting I always loved, even if just to see all the horror animations you can make.

Rings of Power was also not as bad as people said, just too much too handle for the Genesis. The slowdown hinders such a big, open ended game, and honestly I liked the kitch factor of the death sequences, sound effects, and MS Paint-like graphics.

Did you guys think B.O.B. was really as bad as people said it was? I remember playing it years ago and enjoying it for the most part, even though it wasn't exactly on par with other run and gun platformers.

Also, does anyone have a copy of the original John Madden Football for Genesis to give to me or sell cheap? I want to show it to my nephew who is a (modern) Madden fan for the lolz.
    Last edited by Jeckidy; 01-29-2020 at 01:50 AM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jeckidy View Post
    Fatal Rewind is a decent run 'n gun, a bit difficult though.

Haunting I always loved, even if just to see all the horror animations you can make.

Rings of Power was also not as bad as people said, just too much too handle for the Genesis. The slowdown hinders such a big, open ended game, and honestly I liked the kitch factor of the death sequences, sound effects, and MS Paint-like graphics.

Did you guys think B.O.B. was really as bad as people said it was? I remember playing it years ago and enjoying it for the most part, even though it wasn't exactly on par with other run and gun platformers.

Also, does anyone have a copy of the original John Madden Football for Genesis to give to me or sell cheap? I want to show it to my nephew who is a (modern) Madden fan for the lolz.
    I did a very similar thing recently when I showed my nephew, who's a huge fan of EA's FIFA games, the original EA game in the franchise, FIFA International Soccer on the Mega Drive/Mega CD. He actually really enjoyed it and, although he needed to adjust to the dated graphics, he said it was still fun to play and that he could see why the franchise took off. Smart kid!

EA released some of the best games of all time for the Mega Drive, and my personal favourites would have to be the Road Rash trilogy, the Strike trilogy and General Chaos. Oh and also a big shout out goes to Blades of Vengeance, a very good hack 'n slash platformer.

Master of Shinobi

Starflight & Syndicate !

Full list: https://segaretro.org/Electronic_Arts#Mega_Drive
    Lists of MD games: officially licensed (~925) @ cartridge sizes @ Top 5 @ Top 250 (controversial) @ Sonic hacks @ best title screens @ Arcade ports (150) @ best European

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Gaptoothedidiot's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    I showed my nephew, who's a huge fan of EA's FIFA games, the original EA game in the franchise, FIFA International Soccer on the Mega Drive/Mega CD. He actually really enjoyed it and, although he needed to adjust to the dated graphics
    Did he not think they were crazy fast. I revisited them a couple of years ago and found them completely unplayable, I think it's totally down to how good fifa games got once they hit the PlayStation that it's difficult to revert back to the way football games used to be. Are they ypur favorite football games on the megadrive? I have to say I love how much they squeezed into those carts.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker

EA ran the 90s sports gaming scene, especially on the Genesis:
    *FIFA '94
    *Madden '94 (and '95)
    *Mutant League Football
    *Mutant League Hockey
    *NHL '94
    *NBA Live '95 (and '96)
    *PGA III

Also, as others have mentioned, James Pond and General Chaos were good times as well.

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I'll never understand everyone's obsession with NHL 94. I certainly played my share of it when it came out, but my friends and I were disappointed that they removed the fighting and head bleeding hits from the game. It was neutered. The addition of the one-timer was nice, but 93 was still funner to play co-op.

Now, NHL 96 was close to perfection. The game engine was faster, the fighting returned, and the season mode and character creation mode were fleshed out. And there were so many little touches too, like the squeaky door in the penalty box, it had a lot of character compared to the earlier games. 97 and 98 were basically roster updates with very minor changes.

Road Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    I'll never understand everyone's obsession with NHL 94. I certainly played my share of it when it came out, but my friends and I were disappointed that they removed the fighting and head bleeding hits from the game. It was neutered. The addition of the one-timer was nice, but 93 was still funner to play co-op.

Now, NHL 96 was close to perfection. The game engine was faster, the fighting returned, and the season mode and character creation mode were fleshed out. And there were so many little touches too, like the squeaky door in the penalty box, it had a lot of character compared to the earlier games. 97 and 98 were basically roster updates with very minor changes.
    nhl 97 was better for me, but nearly all of EA's sports games are perfection for me

VA1LT CHIP ENABLED Master of Shinobi OverDrone's Avatar

This thread seems like a perfect opportunity to mention Technoclash, a top down run n gun by Zono inc. walking speed is slow but combat is anything but with enemies spawning hard and fast. Some sources call this an action RPG (including the review on Sega 16), but I wouldn't subscribe to that theory at all. There's some objective based game structure and pause bring up a status type screen, but that hardly qualifies it.

Definitely a solid action game with some unusual ideas kicking around though, and an asset to EA's MD catalogue.

Toejam is a wiener. Master of Shinobi SEGA-Jorge's Avatar

I love the EA stuff on the Genesis so much. I really can't stress how valuable their contribution to the console was. Their library covered a huge range of genres that were in their own way, console defining. Their sports titles alone are essentially the beginnings of branch of game dev and game culture that is a backbone of the hobby. Ports of PC, Amiga, and occasionally arcade games, experimental stuff, and the way EA was able to conduct business with Sega sort of defined 3rd party publishing.

I'm in the process of trying to get all the EA games for the console, and I simple love the experience. There is a lot of enjoyable content there, but even more interestingly, you kinda get to see American game development as a growth process, encapsulated in this library. So cool.

Nameless One

The EA Mega Drive stuff is interesting, because you can see how it was just (meh) Amiga ports in the beginning, then it started having variety and interesting stuff once programmers had better command of the hardware, then the sports games really came into their own, and they became the yearly cash cow for EA. By 1995, other than a Road Rash or Theme Park, Electronic Arts only produced sports titles. Its kind of sad, considering that games like Blades of Vengeance and Risky Woods were pretty decent, and there weren't too many games like Starflight or Might and Magic on the system.

On the other hand, EA really did have some games out there that made good use of the hardware. No other company had as many games released that allowed for 4 players simultaneously on the Mega Drive. Road Rash did some pretty fun effects that simulated 3D driving down hilly roads. LHX actually did 3D vector graphics with no additional hardware.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Cristiano Sword's Avatar

An interesting data, here in Brazil, EA cartridges independent of the game are worth less than normal Sega cartridges. Many people at the time believed that EA cards were pirates! xD
    Although today people know that this is not true, but even so they are still cheaper.

Thread Information