Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Getting back into Sega CD

Default Getting back into Sega CD

This was something I had a love/hate relationship with many years ago. Sadly due to a divorce long ago I sold off most of my gaming collection. I had 2 Sega CDs...with both Lunar games and Popful Mail. Oh and their respective guide books plus other games. Now I see the prices and tear up some given I paid less than 100 for all that.

However life does throw curveballs at us and it is saddening when I think back to when I had one. I decided to buy another one...and this time it stays. I honestly can't explain what made me get one now. Its something I wanted to do but hold off on. But again...something just said to get it. I ordered a Model 1 and eagerly await for it. I also ordered Final Fight CD, Sonic CD and Ecco the Dolphin. I'm looking for a decently priced RAM cart as I plan to dive into buying for this gem. I already know of prices...and burning the games. But I want to try and get as many genuine games as I can.

I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of it. I am clearing a spot just for it and honestly I feel like I have won a lottery. Its the Sega CD!
    I am Mr_32X

Sorry to hear that.

There's plenty of gems on the Mega CD TBH. If you can try pick up the likes of Battlecorps, Soul Star, Rise of the Dragon, Wing Commander, Dracula Unleashed, Batman Returns, Pitfall, NHL 94. Before one moves on to the silly expensive stuff
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thanks. It is what it is. Trust me I sold off some rare stuff outside the Sega CD...but I really didn't have much choice. You know that was long ago so while it sucks it doesn't keep me up. What matters is I will have another soon!

Its shipping with a Model 1 Genesis as well. I already have one but I won't lie I might hook my Mega SG up to it instead. Sure it will look very silly but that's becoming my all-in-1. Plus I pre-ordered the adapter for 32X compatability so it will def be an all-in-1.

I won't lie, I know The Terminator is over 100 but it looks good. I have also looked into Mickey Mania (think that's the name). I should probably hold off for now and focus on the games I have coming...but that can be tough for someone like myself.

I never got into sports games much but I know NHL 94 is still huge online. What exactly makes it worth a purchase for Sega CD?
    I am Mr_32X

Sadly my Model 1 has the typical problem...the tray will eject the game a few times until it stays closed and reads it. I will guess a belt issue? I have never worked on a Sega CD but if its an easy fix I will try. Other than that the game that they included works just fine.
    I am Mr_32X

Very easy fix!!! Just get an automotive o ring and replace the belt! I can confirm it works!!!

I am actually doing that. Got one ordered and I plan on swapping asap. Been watching videos so I can learn how to do it.
    I am Mr_32X

Quote Originally Posted by Legend77 View Post
    but I know NHL 94 is still huge online. What exactly makes it worth a purchase for Sega CD?
    Other than the missing fights, its simply put the best 16-bit version of the sport and the Mega/SEGA CD version is the best. Since it plays just like the Mega Drive version only with vastly improved audio and the atmosphere generated really adds to the game thanks to the better sound effects and real organ music
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

The RAM carts are approaching Everdrive X5 prices, so given the ancient hw vs other Everdrive usability (loading other region Sega CD bioses, etc), it's a no brainer which to pick.

For me, luckily I found I don't need a RAM cart to play the Lunars and Shining Force CD fully, so didn't need to upgrade my X3 to X5.

Thanks Team Andromeda. This is something I might have to look as a future purchase. Right now my oldest is getting excited over some co-op Final Fight. She and I have played 3 a lot and beat it. I already explained that this will be a harder game but we shall see how it goes. I got the Jaguar racing game with it but it's nothing I was truly excited for. Never been a big racing fan.
    I am Mr_32X

Quote Originally Posted by roce View Post
    The RAM carts are approaching Everdrive X5 prices.
    Just get a converter and buy the Japanese RAM cart . So much cheaper
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thanks Team Andromeda. This is something I might have to look as a future purchase. Right now my oldest is getting excited over some co-op Final Fight. She and I have played 3 a lot and beat it. I already explained that this will be a harder game but we shall see how it goes. I got the Jaguar racing game with it but it's nothing I was truly excited for. Never been a big racing fan.
    Jaguar XJ is nice enough and the music is ace. The 3D section of Batman Returns are the best and for me, the best 16-bit racer going.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

I have always heard good things about the driving on Batman Returns...maybe not as much as the 2D sections.

Any co-op games you recommend a 12 year old might enjoy?
    I am Mr_32X

I have always heard good things about the driving on Batman Returns...maybe not as much as the 2D sections.

Any co-op games you recommend a 12 year old might enjoy?
    Not many, though there is 2 player co-op in games like Soul Star, BC Racers and Cadillacs and Dinosaurs
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Got Final Fight CD. Man its either hard or I am terrible. Enemies are relentless...but man is it fun! Yeah def glad I got back into Sega CD!
    I am Mr_32X

Got Final Fight CD. Man its either hard or I am terrible. Enemies are relentless...but man is it fun! Yeah def glad I got back into Sega CD!
    It's rock hard. I had to use Player 2 continues to get near the end LOL. If you like playing games with your kid, maybe try Switch/Panic; That is a game that's fun to watch and where she could say which button to press next.
    They get some bad rep, but I remember playing Night Trap and Sherlock Homes Vol 1/II has a family, but now the terrible FMV may be too bad.

For you mind, try to get Rise of the Dragon which is a ace cyberpunk adv, that's for me money better than Snatcher and really captures the Blade Runner vib. The prices are silly now, so maybe look into ripping the Lunar's and Popfulmail
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information