Quantcast

Thread: Mega Turrican Konami prototype

Default Mega Turrican Konami prototype

A May 18, 1993 prototype of Mega Turrican has been released by hidden palace. It's almost the same as the released version bar some differences like the secret level still being a regular level (just like it was in the later Amiga conversion), some very minor scenery placement details including some odd glitches/random platforms put here and there, a chunk of text in the ending mentioning Brec McGuire dead parents which was removed, and all 1994 references still being dated to 1993, plus the game still not supporting the six button gamepad due to obvious timeframe reasons.

There's no company logos other than the initial Sega one, but in the credits scene there's a revealing "presented by Konami" line which totally suggests that the initial publisher of Mega Turrican was going to be Konami, and so the troubled release of the game taking one year to reach stores wasn't simply because of Factor 5 inability to find a publisher of the game. It was because of having to find a new one when Konami presumably moved away of what apparently was the initial intention/agreement, something which maybe was difficult and slow from a legal viewpoint.

I was always puzzled of the fact that Factor 5 went on to develop this game and then took so long to find a company to release it like they have always publicy stated. Having one, falling the deal through and then having to secure publishing rights with a new company turns much more sense to the convulsed story of this game.

Notice that it has been found in a Japanese shaped cartridge. I suppose this is because of this build having to be sent to Konami in Japan.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

For great justice! Outrunner Tor Landeel's Avatar

Amazing, that really tells a lot about the troubles they had to find a publisher. Thanks for sharing!
    ***** トル・ランディール ******
    Cadash Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3905/
    Out Run Arcade Colors hack:
    https://www.romhacking.net/hacks/3940/

I always put a smile in my face when i see a new prototype found and dumped/preserved!

I read years ago that Konami was interested with their work.
    Factor 5 made the port of Contra Alien Wars for the Gameboy and even i heard that Super Turrican was intended to be realeased by Konami too.
    For the Mega Drive, i heard that they made a demo of Castlevania IV for the Mega Drive and showed to Konami... In the end they developed for Konami the very good Mega Drive version of International Super Star Soccer Deluxe. Wish that this partnership had resulted in more game for the MD...
    VISUAL SHOCK!
    SPEED SHOCK!
    SOUND SHOCK!
    NOW IS TIME TO THE 68000 HEART ON FIRE!

Prince of Persia 2 - The Shadow and the Flame Remastered Edition v1.5

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

My dream is Turrican 2 Prototype .

Quote Originally Posted by LinkueiBR View Post
    I always put a smile in my face when i see a new prototype found and dumped/preserved!

I read years ago that Konami was interested with their work.
    Factor 5 made the port of Contra Alien Wars for the Gameboy and even i heard that Super Turrican was intended to be realeased by Konami too.
    For the Mega Drive, i heard that they made a demo of Castlevania IV for the Mega Drive and showed to Konami... In the end they developed for Konami the very good Mega Drive version of International Super Star Soccer Deluxe. Wish that this partnership had resulted in more game for the MD...
    Not only that, Factor 5 also developed the Game Boy version of Animaniacs for Konami, based on the Mega Drive version. Konami essentially tasked them two ports to Game Boy and one port to the Mega Drive (who knows if there were more planned like you said, shame about that possible Super Castlevania IV for Mega Drive) and all of them came out after the apparent fallout of this publishing deal so it's even more puzzling. This is something I suppose it has to be commented by one of the Factor 5 veterans. I doubt anyone who was part of Konami at that time will ever mention this.

Quote Originally Posted by Chev Chelios View Post
    My dream is Turrican 2 Prototype .
    At this point I sense that's going to be more feasible than fully rehacking Universal Soldier to get it back to its original Turrican II status. I failed to achieve anything with that other than restoring the full Turrican sprite and some other minor elements.
    http://www.sega-16.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=154&dateline=15683853  53

Thread Information