Quantcast

Thread: Question regarding overclocking model 1 va6

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One infidelity's Avatar

Default Question regarding overclocking model 1 va6

I've been reading various posts about the oscillator used for the overclock. I've read people use 10mhz, some 12mhz, and I'm not sure but i thought i read someone using as much as 25mhz?

My question is, what is the max mhz's I can use on my model 1 VA6, that will not cause issues with the VDP, or any other issues elsewhere? (I already know model 2's can't do more tha 10mhz overclocked) so if someone can shed light on the largest oscillator I can use for my model 1 va6, it'd be greatly appreciated! :-) Thanks!
    Last edited by infidelity; 02-02-2020 at 12:29 PM.

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

25MHz seems way out of the realm of what the system can do. Maybe they meant that the CPU they used was rated for up to 25MHz?

I have an overclocked VA6.5 and VA6. One of them is rocking a motorola 68010. For me, the best I could do was 10MHz. I could get a few games to boot at 12MHz, but they would almost always glitch out or crash within a few minutes. 10MHz has been very stable, except for games with known problems overclocking. I haven't tried 11MHz, and it's possible that it could be stable as well.

If I were you, I would pick up an oscillator socket like this, and a variety of oscillators between 9-13MHz. You can do the overclock mod using the socket, and swap out different oscillators to experiment with.
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One infidelity's Avatar

Wow thanks for all that info! I like the socket idea. I'll grab a 10mhz one. Would you know of a list with the games that dont play nice with any kind of overclock? Thanks!

Edit: why you rockin a Motorola 68010?

Comrade as in friend. Master of Shinobi ComradeOj's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by infidelity View Post
    Wow thanks for all that info! I like the socket idea. I'll grab a 10mhz one. Would you know of a list with the games that dont play nice with any kind of overclock? Thanks!

Edit: why you rockin a Motorola 68010?
    Here is a big list:

http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...atibility-List

As for the 68010: You can see that the thread I just linked to mentions the 68010. That's actually a later edit, the list was originally just overclocking. Part of the reason for the 68010 was to document the mod, and what the compatibility is like. Installing a 68010 is a very uncommon mod, so there wasn't a lot of info online about it. I wanted to put out info on the mod for anyone looking to do it themselves.

The 68010 also has slightly better performance, since it can multiply and divide faster. It can also cache small code loops to run them faster. The multiply/divide especially speeds up 3D games, which make a lot of use of those operations. A 10MHz 68010 performs nearly as well in 3D games as a 12MHz 68000.

Besides, how many people can honestly say they have a 68010 equipped Genesis
    Modded consoles:
    Master System (v7040) with s-video & direct AV out
    Model 1 with 10mhz overclock & halt switches
    Model 1 with 10mhz 68010
    Model 2 VA2.3 with unfiltered Mega Amp, & s-video
    Model 3 VA1 with compatibility fixes & s-video
    32X with s-video
    Visit my web site at www.mode5.net
    Or my collection of homebrew Genesis games, programs, and music on SEGA-16!

Thread Information