Quantcast

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: INSANE PAIN - new fighting game with pre-rendered graphics in development

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Default INSANE PAIN - new fighting game with pre-rendered graphics in development

Hi!
    Just wanted to promote the work of a friend from Germany a bit.
    He is working on a new fighting game with pre-rendered graphics as of now.

He basically got into the Mega Drive when Paprium was announced, so he has no nostalgia for it afaik... But with frustration when it turned out to be vaporware he started to do his own thing.

He has the help from a Brazilian coder and he hired a 3D artist to do the renders that are then turned into sprites. The game is done in Second Basic.

It is still early stages and he doesn't really want to think about things like a physical release or pre-orders yet... It is a hobby thing right now as I understand. But I think he is dedicated enough to actually stick with it.

You can visit the official website here:
    http://www.insane-pain.com/

Feel free to discuss, he will be interested to hear what the community has to say.

cool!

That's good to see, it would be great if someone learns the hardware and makes a game from the ground up within the time it takes to make Paprium (assuming Paprium ever gets released).

Hopefully the new game goes somewhere, but even if it remains an unfinished hobby project then its still cool.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

3d rendering with Gen palette limits isn't pretty.. SNES could get away with it with larger palettes in DKC and Mortal Kombat.

WCPO Agent

If it's designed from the ground up with the MD palette limitations in mind it will be fine. All the 4th gen systems use 15 colors per sprite. So what's important is optimizing the rest of the artwork (backgrounds, health bars, projectiles etc) to stay within those limits. This should be much easier than porting an arcade game and trying to keep the colors accurate.

I'm more concerned that the game is being programmed in BASIC, on a system with limited CPU time there may be a big loss in efficiency compared to C or ASM.

Loves Lori Bazzil! Raging in the Streets 108 Stars's Avatar

Mortal Kombat didn't have pre-rendered 3D characters anyway. It had digitized actors. Also it looked good imo.

Pre rendered graphics can look fine on Mega Drive. It is a question of opimization. Toy Story, Sonic 3D Blast and Vectorman all look fine.

Even Lobo looks good imo as far as colors are concerned, if anything that one suffers from a lack of animation frames.

Special mention to Super Donkey Kong 99 too (and that's a bootleg game).

But yeah, it boils down mostly to picking a palette and then making sure the models stick to those colors (to reduce the risk of it picking shades that are nothing like the ones available). That said (back to the Insane Pain), if I were to criticize anything on those models, it'd be the lighting It looks as if the characters were made of plastic. They should have less bright spots :​P

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Mauro Flores's Avatar

Genesis

Oh my friend Axel! The coder of Genesis Fight Engine has more secrets that you can imagine...
    Attachment 15284

Stage on the shot, char select screen and all the rest seems thats we have on fighting engine where Linkuei and others guys are working on.
    And its also is coded in second basic, so i think thats the same engine.

The website and the new artwork looks cool, keep going the good work i want see this prject complete!

Visit my youtube channel Pyron's Lair
    Take here all my hacks made with love for all of us here
    Want to help me? Here is my Patreon!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingSports Talker Oruam's Avatar

oh yeah!
    Attachment 15285

Quote Originally Posted by Sik View Post
    Special mention to Super Donkey Kong 99 too (and that's a bootleg game).

But yeah, it boils down mostly to picking a palette and then making sure the models stick to those colors (to reduce the risk of it picking shades that are nothing like the ones available). That said (back to the Insane Pain), if I were to criticize anything on those models, it'd be the lighting It looks as if the characters were made of plastic. They should have less bright spots :​P
    You are right, but it is a style, some people will enjoy, another don't.

I made an advanced version of Genesis Fight Engine to this project release.

WCPO Agent

@Mauro I can't view your attachment but that's great. I've never said it's impossible to make a good game in BASIC but it does present some challenges you don't have with other languages. I started out programming in BASIC myself and still find it one of the easiest languages when you want to quickly test an idea.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Hi Guys,
    Thanks for your feedback. I know that the pre-rendered style is not everyone's favorite but we will keep it anyway as it is a good way to animate characters more easily. Pixelart is great, but it takes a lot of time.
    This project does not claim to be the best Megadrive game either (like other ones). It's a hobby project (for now). Maybe there is someone here who would like to help us with the project. Please contact us. 3D- or 2D-artists, music- and sound artists are very welcome.

many greetings
    mr-edit
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by mredit; 02-06-2020 at 03:13 AM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training LIZARDRIVE's Avatar

This looks like an original project! :-o
    I was actually wondering if you were using toys or figures at first, but 3D model will allow you to make smoother and more realistic animations.
    Did I miss it, or aren't there videos yet?

You guys already put a lot of effort in making an appealing website. That's pleasing to see!
    Brewing "Perlin & Pinpin" for your SEGA Genesis / Megadrive - #pixelart by @iamgunpog

Thread Information