Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Sega Pluto was designed for North America?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Default The Sega Pluto was designed for North America?

The link isn't working. You can check it out here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0lD3kMcFr1o
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Looks solid outside of the constantly opening damaged tray. Sega Neptune is still my favorite though as Sega console prototypes go, design wise.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Ugh it had to be that guy.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

This mfer found it at a flea market and bout it for 3 dollars!?
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoltor View Post
    Japan on the other hand is in real danger, if Japanese men don't start liking to play with their woman, more then them selves, experts calculated the Japanese will be extinct within 300 years.

This is old news.

Quote Originally Posted by Da_Shocker View Post
    This mfer found it at a flea market and bout it for 3 dollars!?
    That's what I just said to myself. I'm not sure what it is worth...or if anyone should sell it but damn.
    Toys: PS4 Pro, PS3 Slim 250GB,PSVita, Xbox, Gamecube, Dreamcast, Saturn, JVC X'Eye, NES, SNES, Neo Geo, Turbo Duo R, PS1

Movie Setup: Vizio M65, Fluance ES 5.1, Definitive Technology SC 4000, Sony STR-DN840, Apple TV 4k, Synology DS413j with 12TB of media.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

sweet thank for sharing, was there not also a Sega Neptune at one point...remember hearing rumours as a kid....

Ben Heck was tasked, similar to the Nintendo Playstation prototype, with fixing one of the Pluto's. I have to assume it's the same one that Koralik reviewed....

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SegaDreamcast View Post
    Looks solid outside of the constantly opening damaged tray. Sega Neptune is still my favorite though as Sega console prototypes go, design wise.
    Agreed. The Neptune looked really nice.

WCPO Agent

It would have been surreal to see a Sega Pluto with extra RAM, modem, MPEG card and a hard drive released in 1996. Would have been about on par with a low end PC. The hard drive would have been interesting for speeding up load times and allowing for DLC.

The price tag with that 2.5" IDE drive would have been astronomical though.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    It would have been surreal to see a Sega Pluto with extra RAM, modem, MPEG card and a hard drive released in 1996. Would have been about on par with a low end PC. The hard drive would have been interesting for speeding up load times and allowing for DLC.
    It's a shame , it would have been incredible value and ahead of its time
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    The hard drive probably wouldn't have done much for load times, we're talking Mid-90's specs after all, and looking at the kind of drive it looks to be an off the shelf 500MB IDE hard drive. And DLC probably wouldn't have been that big either considering we're talking 28.8 kbps speeds here. It would have probably had to be done with on disc stuff that got unlocked. My guess is that the HDD was there for developers working with the unit, rather than being intended to release with the consumer unit.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by TrekkiesUnite118 View Post
    The hard drive probably wouldn't have done much for load times, we're talking Mid-90's specs after all, and looking at the kind of drive it looks to be an off the shelf 500MB IDE hard drive. And DLC probably wouldn't have been that big either considering we're talking 28.8 kbps speeds here. It would have probably had to be done with on disc stuff that got unlocked. My guess is that the HDD was there for developers working with the unit, rather than being intended to release with the consumer unit.
    You're probably right about it just being there for development but even in the 90s a hard drive was orders of magnitude faster than optical. The 2X CD-ROM in the Saturn has a 300 KB/sec transfer rate, versus 33.3 MBps for an IDE hard drive! That's a huge difference especially if you have more RAM, it would bring loading times down almost to N64 levels. I agree DLC would be more limited but depending on the genre you can do a lot with it, like updating rosters in a sports game or adding new levels to a Sonic-style platformer.

Such a system would be very expensive but it could have been marketed to high-end users as both a way to get online from your living room (similar to WebTV, launched in 1995) in addition to offering games and video playback.

I'm not so sure,you had plenty the shareware games and most of them were downloaded over a slow modem.
    To have a Saturn with all those features in 97 would have been so special and at a much cheaper price point than PC and I gather very much like Joe Miller would have liked, since he was a big fan of the web.

Not sure th e HE would have been there for just development mind,since the development would have been done on PC.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Thread Information