Quantcast

Thread: Ultracore

Genesis Ultracore

Ultracore is a good example of how games long-thought lost can somehow manage to overcome the odds and find their way into the eager hands of gamers. It only took around three decades, but Psygnosis' run-'n-gun is finally available. Was it worth the wait? Read our full review to find out!

Road Rasher

Great review by Zebbe, 100% spot on. The cheap level design from bouncing platforms, the puzzle squishing stage, and right timing to jump before the last boss are very annoying. But its definitely one of the best run n gun games on the genesis

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

"The graphics are among the very best the system has ever seen."
    That's a bit of hyperbole.

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    Great review by Zebbe, 100% spot on. The cheap level design from bouncing platforms, the puzzle squishing stage, and right timing to jump before the last boss are very annoying. But its definitely one of the best run n gun games on the genesis
    Thank you! Yeah. Just a bit more polish and this game could have been even better. Oh well, it's still really good.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    "The graphics are among the very best the system has ever seen."
    That's a bit of hyperbole.
    Nah, it's just my subjective opinion .
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by PreZZ View Post
    The crusher stage actually didn't seem bad at all when I played it in 50Hz and on a real MD + CRT video monitor. When I first played it emulated on my PC at 60Hz on a LCD it did feel unfair though. But some other things in the game are definitely bullshit even on real hardware with PAL timings and a CRT. Like the spot in one of the final stages where you need to jump between multiple floating platforms over a large chasm by using rockets that launch from the bottom of the screen in a seemingly totally random pattern.

Funny how the game ROM is 2MB (16 Mbits), but almost exactly half of that space is just wasted (0xFF padding), at least on the dump of the Japanese version that's circulating on the Internets (I have both the Japanese cart and the PAL cart but no hardware to make my own dumps unfortunately). The actual game content ends only a bit over 11kB (11344 bytes) after the 1MB (8Mbit) mark. I wonder if they reserved a ROM space for the top-down sections, but in the end just nuked it all before release since they couldn't finish them in time. If so, I wish they had left the scraps in there so ROM hackers could possibly bring the top-down stages back. The game would surely feel more complete and less too shrt with them. (it's only because the Columbus Circle logo screen added in JP version)

Game has some more weird bugs too in addition to the one mentioned in the review (these happened to me even when playing on real hardware using original cartridges): sometimes the level music doesn't begin (it keeps looping the level start jingle), buying energy from terminals too fast makes the variable overflow and wrap around so you end up with almost zero health, in certain spots the player can warp through floors when using bombs, and sometimes the game can just suddenly hang/crash.

Some screenshots and videos from the MegaSG show 1.2 instead of 1.0 in the title screen. I wonder if that version has some bugfixes missing from the cartridge versions... sucks if it does and they sold everyone who prefers the original systems and bought cartridges an unpatched version.

Quote Originally Posted by review
    the palettes manages to maintain a consistent hue throughout the game, which applies to both backgrounds and sprites
    Personally I saw this as a bit of an negative, I wish there was more variation in the environments and the enemies, right now almost the whole game from start to finish looks very samey, just recycling the same assets with same colours. Perhaps the cut top-down stages could have helped add a bit of variation before the final stages.

Quote Originally Posted by review
    Id say its a bit better than Mega Turrican
    Probably yes, if it had been properly finished, but as it is, I don't really know...

In general a fun game though, I'd buy the cartridges again.
    Last edited by dystopia; 02-26-2020 at 05:04 PM.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by reviewer
    Id say its a bit better than Mega Turrican
    Please. The game has massive issue with pacing. Not even close.

Ultracore may be a bit too intense, I still prefer it since Mega Turrican has too much recycled content and monotonous level layouts. Both games have problems with level design, but Ultracore looks and sounds better. Sure, there isn't as much variation, but overall I prefer a consistent better look, albeit repetitive, than something which looks or sounds inferior.
    New user who wants access to the forum? PM Melf!

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Aleste's Avatar

To me it was an insufferable three hours slog that for the sake of environment variety seemed like the first world of mega Turrican. I don't want to be mean on something that didn't find a publishing window back then for purely external reasons, but it really needed some editing to make it worthwhile. The game has gunning yes but with all the keys and doors it actually plays more like a faster Gods than Turrican. By the way, even graphically, the used of a solid status bar seems like a step back to the home computer fashion.

Thread Information