Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Game Gear is becoming unplayable

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Question My Game Gear is becoming unplayable

I don't play it that often but in January I did get a new game for it for the first time in forever. Ninja Gaiden and I don't remember my screen being so washed out. I knew it wasn't great but it used to look better. This Game Gear is sentimental to me as well. What are my options for someone who is limited on budget (also no CC) and no modding skills? I see these consoles all the time for 80 bucks that play old console games. Anything cheap like that for handhelds or even play on TV? I don't care either way. I know of that analog thing but it's $200 plus attachments with insane shipping.

Why not repair this GG is it means so much? I never did get a power adapter and it would be nice to play these games on something that looks nicer. If getting the screen replaced is my only option I'm still down for it. Tho I think I am ready to finally dive into these clone systems. Only used genuine hardware.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Does one of the Retrons play Game Gear?

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

If you have a fondness for the system, nostalgia, then see about getting the screen replacement mod done. My Game Gears will forever gather dust, as I didn't have one as a kid, and thus, formed no attachment to the system.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Does one of the Retrons play Game Gear?
    There was actually a 3-in-1 adapter for the Game Gear, Master System cartridges, and Master System Cards. It's around 60 dollars new. Don't own the adapter myself though, so can't comment how it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SegaDreamcast View Post
    There was actually a 3-in-1 adapter for the Game Gear, Master System cartridges, and Master System Cards. It's around 60 dollars new. Don't own the adapter myself though, so can't comment how it is.
    I have the Retron 5 Adapter and it's terrible for playing Game Gear games. The biggest problem is compatibility with some games being unplayable (Ax Battler) to screwed up color palettes (Castle of Illusion, Outrun Europa, etc) and some games with graphical glitches (Surf Ninjas). About a third of my Game Gear games won't work or won't work properly with this thing even though they work perfectly on normal hardware. The Retro Freak system had a GG adapter and not surprisingly it has all of the same problems as the Retron 5 one does, probably due using the same emulator/software.
    Review in Progress -

Next on the Review List -

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

If you're on a budget, hunt for another one somewhere. I know absolutely no one who keeps them these days. Of course, you'll have to search for a while since you mostly find broken ones.
    Alternatively, dive in and do the sobering. All the fixing I've done in the past has turned out just fine. I learned from scratch and don't feel like I've ever done and outstanding job and yet that little brick bastard is robust and works.

Because of the nostalgia, I still prefer playing on the original. Next best thing would be to install the TV out mod, although you said you're not really into that.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Thanks all. I am just down for a better picture TV or Handheld. We are supposed to get a new SEGA Nomad this year so maybe they will do a GG next? Who knows. If it really comes down to it I will have to find some way to get that analogue portable system.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One SegaDreamcast's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Assault9 View Post
    I have the Retron 5 Adapter and it's terrible for playing Game Gear games. The biggest problem is compatibility with some games being unplayable (Ax Battler) to screwed up color palettes (Castle of Illusion, Outrun Europa, etc) and some games with graphical glitches (Surf Ninjas). About a third of my Game Gear games won't work or won't work properly with this thing even though they work perfectly on normal hardware. The Retro Freak system had a GG adapter and not surprisingly it has all of the same problems as the Retron 5 one does, probably due using the same emulator/software.
    Thanks for the insight, I personally didn't want to invest further in the Retron 5 after discovering how tightly cartridges get stuck in it. Feels like you're gonna break the cart or the system almost anytime you take a game out. Not worth damaging potential rare carts on it imo. I know some people use SD cards on it which sidesteps the issue but I legit got mine just to replay Pac Man 2 and TMNT again. Not sure if things have changed for the cart slot's snugness since the initial launch batch in that regard. I was an early adopter, pre-ordered it back when it was announced.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Thanks all. I am just down for a better picture TV or Handheld. We are supposed to get a new SEGA Nomad this year so maybe they will do a GG next? Who knows. If it really comes down to it I will have to find some way to get that analogue portable system.
    Sega Game Gear Mini! please....maybe...hopefully.....

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    I don't play it that often but in January I did get a new game for it for the first time in forever. Ninja Gaiden and I don't remember my screen being so washed out. I knew it wasn't great but it used to look better. This Game Gear is sentimental to me as well. What are my options for someone who is limited on budget (also no CC) and no modding skills? I see these consoles all the time for 80 bucks that play old console games. Anything cheap like that for handhelds or even play on TV? I don't care either way. I know of that analog thing but it's $200 plus attachments with insane shipping.

Why not repair this GG is it means so much? I never did get a power adapter and it would be nice to play these games on something that looks nicer. If getting the screen replaced is my only option I'm still down for it. Tho I think I am ready to finally dive into these clone systems. Only used genuine hardware.
    Just got a Game Gear and while it's playable, I can certainly understand the popularity of the McWill mod. Mine might just need some new caps, though. https://www.instagram.com/p/B-U57bEF...on_share_sheet

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods Bit Sized, Episode 4

The Gaming Gangsta Master of Shinobi profholt82's Avatar

I've been playing a lot of Star Wars and Shinobi on Game Gear lately. My buddy hooked me up with an adaptor for the Mega SG, works pretty well (it's the updated 1.1 version). I've found that Outrun Europa and Road Rash are not much fun sadly. But dang, I wish they had released Star Wars for Genesis, that could have been great.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher StuOhQ's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    I've been playing a lot of Star Wars and Shinobi on Game Gear lately. My buddy hooked me up with an adaptor for the Mega SG, works pretty well (it's the updated 1.1 version). I've found that Outrun Europa and Road Rash are not much fun sadly. But dang, I wish they had released Star Wars for Genesis, that could have been great.
    I wish I had someone to hit me up with one of those! Waited forever for the release and then missed it despite checking the site multiple times a day for months lol

Retro Tech Select - YouTube channel covering throwback consumer electronics with a focus on "vid'ya games."
    Newest Video: Make Your Switch Games Sharper! Improve Picture Quality without Hacks or Mods Bit Sized, Episode 4

Quote Originally Posted by StuOhQ View Post
    I wish I had someone to hit me up with one of those! Waited forever for the release and then missed it despite checking the site multiple times a day for months lol
    Yeah, it seems their stuff often goes out of stock within days, and then takes months to come back into stock. Surely they'd make tons more money if they manufactured more units. But I'm no businessman, and they seem to be doing quite well, so they're doing something right.

As far as my unit, I've got a buddy who buys everything Analogue puts out whether he wants it or not. He's like that with many limited release items from all sorts of companies (and hobbies beyond videogames). He actually bought two because another buddy of his wanted the adaptors for one of the earlier systems (SG-1000 and or Mark III I think), so I told him I'd take the Game Gear adaptor because that's the only one I was really interested in. I ended up picking up a few rare vintage Bluegrass records for him in trade, and he was happy (Tony Rice if you've ever heard of him). But basically I got lucky, I mean, it's not like I was able to go on their website and order it.

And it's much easier playing these games on a television. I'd actually been looking for something like this for years. How does Sega not have an answer to the Super Boy? It's unconscionable! Hahahaha

Here she is in action, Star Wars is a great game btw...

The Game Gears are dying from old capacitors. Pretty simple fix. Washed out screen, bad sound, etc.

Thread Information