Quantcast

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Streaming Revolution is here

Default The Streaming Revolution is here

So I've been doing a lot of research over the last few months as a side hobby for preparing my parents to cut the cable subscription when their promo runs out (Presumably next month). Picked up two NVidia Shields for cheap, and I've got to say that it is unbelievable how much FREE TV and Movie Streaming is out there. All of the Over the Air Digital Subchannels, free apps like Pluto TV (Literally hundreds of free channels, including music channels), Xumo and Tubi, Free Library free movie rentals on Hoopla and Kanopy, and individual channels like Stadium, Cheddar, Dabl, Comet, and the like that are available as well through other kinds of apps or streaming services. It's kind of unbelievable how much free And that's not even counting paid streaming services. I got a Black Friday Hulu deal for $2.13 a month with ads. My house has Amazon Prime, and we share Netflix with another family member. Google Play Movies and Vudu has all of the movies and TV shows that aren't available for streaming to rent.

Now the toughest thing for any cord cutter is finding the right setup of apps that aggregates all of this content together. I've had good experiences with the Android Live Channels app on my NVidia Shield, which even includes a built in DVR if you've got an antenna hooked up. The Plex service is really cool too, as I've started ripping my DVDs and putting them on the Shield, which is quite cool in its own right.

No room for an antenna? If you live in a big city that offers access to the apps, Locast and LocalBTV stream your live local channels for free. Locast has no DVR, and LocalBTV is all subchannels, but they're even more alternatives to free (Locast is $5 a month donation to the non-profit that runs the service) ways to watch TV over the internet.

Anyone else on the streaming bandwagon for television? I don't even watch TV, but I think it's fun with all of the new technology seeing how this is all playing out in such a fascinating way. Seems like the days of paying hundreds of dollars for stuff you don't even watch is about to come to a swift end. It may even potentially be the end of live cable channels that are non-sports related as we know it. Gone also are the days of renting remotes and cable boxes from the cable companies. And no more need for TiVos or other pricey equipment when even the high end streaming boxes like the NVidia Shield is only about $200, or you can get a Roku or Amazon Firestick or Jetstream 4K for roughly $40 which for the most part does the job.

Seriously, if you're still on cable, cut that crap and get a streaming box. Hook an antenna up to your Roku TV or Amazon Recast or NVidia Shield and download some apps. You won't believe how much stuff is out there, all completely for free after the price of the hardware. No extra fees for DVR.
    Last edited by Baloo; 06-14-2020 at 11:56 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I started in 2006 when Revision 3, DL.TV and Twit. The TV was a thing and later I used Joost. I completely cut the cord in 2010 and got a Roku and never looked back. I got my mom on Roku abut that time as well.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I stopped watching TV somewhere around 2007, and I don't miss it. Anything I feel I must see, I shall acquire on disc, or take me ship to the sea.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    Anyone else on the streaming bandwagon for television?
    We've got an Nvidia Shield (older version from 2017) and a couple other Netflix and Google certified Android Box units (Xiaomi Mi Box, and the Ematic 4K).
    On those I've installed a bunch of apps, some of the usual suspects such as those you mentioned- Pluto, Xumo, Tubi TV. VUDU also has a free movies section (with adverts).

But mostly I make use of my paid Netflix sub in combination with the Cyberflix and Cinema apk's. The latter two I use in conjunction with the Real-Debrid service. Any movie or TV series that my heart desires, I can easily find.

For cable I use an IPTV service that provides me with various content- News, Live Sports, Documentaries, HBO, Showtime, etc. I pay 150 ZAR (about $9.50) per month. It's dodgy, sure, but I've been using it for a couple years now and the downtime has been very limited.

I used to also have Hulu and Prime Video but that was overkill for us. So we canned those.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    I stopped watching TV somewhere around 2007, and I don't miss it. Anything I feel I must see, I shall acquire on disc, or take me ship to the sea.
    At this point I swear I'm actually watching backwards in time, currently rewatching Airwolf and Tales of the Gold Monkey.

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

Kodi used to be good, but it's gone to crap for streaming in recent times. I just mainly keep to films and tv shows I have on my harddrives now tbh.

Nothing ever stays free. I remember when Hulu was free ten years ago. And I do think all these apps will cause a collapse on each other one day.

IPTV stinks. There's too many services now, none are complete enough. YouTube TV is missing critical networks.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post
    At this point I swear I'm actually watching backwards in time, currently rewatching Airwolf and Tales of the Gold Monkey.
    Good plan. You'll find a large number of great eighties adventure shows out there. I recommend Knight Rider, Sledge Hammer, and Miami Vice. I'd recommend stuff like Hardcastle & McCormick, Spencer for Hire, Simon & Simon, and Magnum, P.I, but I barely got to see most of those shows. Definitely watch Night Court. That show is beloved by all for a reason.
    Youtube - Terminated

Elemental Master WCPO Agent GameUser-16-32-128's Avatar

They're free, but with ads in between, but no big deal. One thing of note is, when everyone starts "cutting the cord", our internet will go up, so the service providers will still win either way.

Quote Originally Posted by GameUser-16-32-128 View Post
    They're free, but with ads in between, but no big deal. One thing of note is, when everyone starts "cutting the cord", our internet will go up, so the service providers will still win either way.
    Soon there will be more providers though. Its going to be 5G vs cable vs satellite vs municipal vs fiber. I think in another 10 years there will be less monopolies and more competition.

Also HBO max is here. Some great classic movies and all the Studio Ghibli movies, which I have been watching.

Oops, another political bomb has gone off, now HBO has to remove another swath of movies deemed problematic!

Stick to physical media
    Be careful where you buy it
    For if you by from Amazon
    It would be better to pirate...
    Youtube - Terminated

8 & 16 bit guy Outrunner Bloodreign's Avatar

I've been using Pluto TV for a few years now, back then it didn't have a ton of channels, but it sure has a lot more to offer now than compared to what it did when I first got it.

Pluto TV is great, but I worry that now that Viacom owns it they'll run it into the ground as well. They've had a lot of awesome content on there over the years though.

Pluto is okay, but honestly I'm just not satisfied with any of them. I'm an old cartoon/animation watcher and the offerings on free services are non-existent.

Thread Information