Quantcast

Thread: Favorite card games

Master of Shinobi

Default Favorite card games

So what's everybody's favorite traditional card games?

I am a big fan of Rummy, myself. I don't have a mahjongg set, and rummy is basically the western equivalent of mahjongg. I know everybody loves poker and its variations, but I am not familiar with the rules. I am also an active player of the asian Flower card games and have both a Korean and Japanese deck, though I usually prefer the Korean rules as of late when playing.

Here's my setup in my room for the flower cards:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

During college we played Spades a lot.

We also played a variation of hearts called cancellation hearts - in which two decks were used - during a trick if you played the same card as someone else the two would cancel each other out - which led to unexpected outcomes. Worked best (for obvious reasons) with an odd number of players.

We also played a really cutthroat three player game called seargent major - which was unusual in that it used the jokers as part of the game play.

Glad to see someone else is a fan of flower cards. I personally really enjoy the game, taught my fiancee how to play.

I'm frankly a fan of any kind of card game, but with today's obsession of screens and video games, it seems many people don't wish to play cards. I grew up playing a lot of a Gin Rummy variant called "Woah" that had a progressive matching structure (2 sets, 1 and 1, 2 straights, 3 sets, 3 straights) and you played with one less deck of cards than the amount of people. Lots of poker and pinochle as well. The pinochle variant I grew up playing was single deck. Taught my friends how to play Pinochle. Cards is one of those games that I think is timeless, and very sociable.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Master of Shinobi

I agree with you. I also have a classic Sonic card set that I use to play rummy with relatives. They're by Great Eastern.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

I'm also a big fan of rummy. I used to take part in regular poker nights with a group of friends years ago and had fun with it, but I think that was more tied to just hanging out with friends. Going back to majiang, I'm a big fan of that game. I do have a set, and I'd say that I'd prefer it to rummy. The only downside is that it requires exactly four players. I have a card game called Ming, which is also very similar and does not require exactly four players. Not quite as fun though.

I have Mhing! Used to play that back in 8th grade, teacher had a copy and we ended up getting it ourselves. Basically rummy with an Asian style. Never thought I'd run into anyone else who knew about that game.

How is Mahjong with the Tiles and four people? It looks fun, but how is it actually played? Is Mhing that much like Mahjong but with cards?

The last few Sunday nights I've been playing poker via the website Pokernow.club and video chat with my buddies. Its been fun, works well for anyone wanting to get a game with friends together during coronavirus.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    How is Mahjong with the Tiles and four people? It looks fun, but how is it actually played? Is Mhing that much like Mahjong but with cards?
    Never played Mhing, but it seems similar to mahjong. Mahjong is basically a gambling card game but using tiles instead (by that, I mean it plays like a card game, where you have a hand and draw/discard). But it's far more complex than a standard card game. It has 136 tiles (Japanese version) and scoring is very complicated. You have to memorize a large number of winning hands (if you're a beginner, you'll probably have to look at a guide while playing). Just to illustrate, scroll through these wikipedia pages:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japane..._scoring_rules

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Mahjong_yaku

The first page is how to add up points, the second is winning hands. You might feel like you need an advanced degree just to play! But if you play a digital version, it would do the scoring for you and also usually has a guide to the winning hands that you can look at while playing. It's a good way to learn before you try with real people.

As with any card game, a lot of mahjong is luck, but like poker you have to carefully watch your opponents' plays. If one player puts down the tile that allows another to win, then all of the winnings come from the player who put down the tile, so you have to play very carefully and try to figure out what tile everyone is waiting for. Otherwise, you'll be out of money soon!

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Shithead. Absolute blast.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingOutrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Baloo View Post
    I have Mhing! Used to play that back in 8th grade, teacher had a copy and we ended up getting it ourselves. Basically rummy with an Asian style. Never thought I'd run into anyone else who knew about that game.

The last few Sunday nights I've been playing poker via the website Pokernow.club and video chat with my buddies. Its been fun, works well for anyone wanting to get a game with friends together during coronavirus.
    Nice! This is the first time I've come across someone familiar with Mhing as well. Gryson went into some detail about the more competitive (and probably more correct) way of playing majiang. There is a casual play style that I typically play, which is very similar to Mhing. Majiang is a lot of fun with four people. It is balanced, and I've always had a lot of fun with it. It seems complicated at first, but if you just throw yourself into it with people who know how to play, it can be picked up pretty easily.

Thread Information