Quantcast

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Poll: Best Master System games; Top 20 released by April 2, 2020 (plz read post #2)

Shame I just saw this thread. I like seeing everyone's thoughts though.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training

I just started playing Wonder Boy III: The Dragon's Trap seriously for the first time and I got to say it is really good so far. Once I finish it may move into my top 10. That would put all three Wonder Boy games in my top 10.

I only became activated recently so missed this thread but looks like most of my choices are there.
    Phantasy Star, Ninja Gaiden, Alex Kidd and Golden Axe Warrior are all great.
    Last edited by Heilong79; 07-21-2020 at 07:25 PM.

Just to update; Wonder Boy III is definitely in my top 10 now.

Raging in the Streets goldenband's Avatar

Interesting thread, and timely since I've been playing Master System lately (beat three games over the past few days).

However I haven't really played enough Master System games yet -- and, especially, haven't beaten enough of them (only around 25-26 so far) -- to form a list.

So far the games I've enjoyed the most have probably been the two Smurfs platformers, Shanghai, Rambo II, and the Korean bootleg version of Dr. Mario called Dr. HELLO. Line of Fire was OK, and Air Rescue was frustrating but had some nice aspects.

Wasn't a big fan of Land of Illusion. I just beat Ys and enjoyed the first half, but found the second half to be a slog.

Wonder Boy III is on my to-play list, I own the game and just haven't gotten around to playing it for more than a few minutes.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-Training Family Brick's Avatar

Recently Wonder Boy in Monster Land has shot up my list of favourite ever Master System games. It's just such a pleasure running through it with different tactics and playstyles. Speed running Vs maximising points. Completing the hidden side quest to lessen overall challenge or ignoring it.

The beautiful artwork, death poses, unique single-use sprites and background tiles are a joy to experience, everytime.

The final dungeon - which can be tough even for the cockiest of players - is a tricky maze which needs to learned under the pressure of a constantly withering life meter..but its not unreasonable, especially if you've been careful with your shop purchases.

It runs at a locked 60hz too and whilst it's certainly a cut down port (probably owing mainly to its tiny 2mb ROM size) it's arguably as impressive an arcade port as its excellent predecessor was.

The Dragon's Trap gets the attention but Monster Land being a self-contained, single-sitting adventure loaded with alternate routes, secrets galore, rich wonderful aesthetics and never quite plays the same way twice is the true series masterpiece for me.

Thread Information