Quantcast

Page 7 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

I wouldn't be surprised if this continued to mutate drastically and constantly raze humanity until only a few survivors were left to pass on their genes, only to be wiped out by rubella a couple generations later.
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Quote Originally Posted by Raijin Z View Post
    I wouldn't be surprised if this continued to mutate drastically and constantly raze humanity until only a few survivors were left to pass on their genes, only to be wiped out by rubella a couple generations later.
    As I understand it, a virus like COVID-19 would mutate in the opposite direction because viruses can't replicate if their hosts die too quickly.

Regardless, stay safe everyone. We're all going to be in the house for quite some time with the way this virus is going to hit. That being said, if people stop moving and the curve flattens, people recover (or sadly, pass away) from the virus and don't spread it, then many can get out unscathed. But it requires a lot of self-discipline from a lot of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    The Sega Saturn was God's gift to humanity. This is inarguable fact!

Feedback Thread: http://www.sega-16.com/forum/showthr...ack&highlight=

Mega Driven Raging in the Streets cleeg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    The only thing I know of male nurses is from having watched Greg Focker in Meet the Parents.
    That's all there is to know.

My neck of the woods just became the last to contract it. I see one of the main issues as being, much like any other cold or flu seasons, there are a lot people who simply have an IDGIF mentality about it. I know of several people who are indirectly linked to myself, who've traveled to conventions and flew on vacations within the last week, knowing full well this was coming. It's thousands and thousands of morons like that, making everything worse. Half of my own family are these kinds of morons, that's just how they are. They'll cough right in your face and not have a second thought that they just did. "If I get it, oh well", they say. Not caring that this mentality is only worsening the situation for everyone else. I was at GameStop the other day, and the poor guy at the counter was getting a lung coughed out in his face by some disgusting slob in the line. If you're sick, stay home! Have your game shipped to you. It's not worth infecting a few more people. If people would stop actively spreading it and allow the contagious period to pass, we could see a turn-around.

I'm mostly worried for family who are older with health conditions, living with and around morons in my family. I have an indirect link to a fast-food drive through for fucks sake, and she's already "sick", but not tested for the virus. Then family members with underlying health conditions will have to babysit her son who undoubtedly will also have it. How am I supposed to protect myself and those vulnerable in my family? If you can't get everyone on board to take this shit somewhat seriously, then we're all screwed. In one breath they'll agree "Oh for sure, so and so can't afford to get this..." and then in the next "I don't care, if I get it, then I get it. I'm not going to worry about it." People are just selfish, arrogant, and damn stupid is all I can figure. That's got to account for a big percentage of recorded cases.

Personally, I'm just limiting my trips out. I don't work around people much, so I don't often come into contact with germ spreading, except the aforementioned morons in my own family who DO and then cough right in your face and tell you to get over it. I guess I'll be trying to distance myself from them as well, and protesting their close involvement with those they stand to infect. That's all I know to do.
    Last edited by WarmSignal; 03-17-2020 at 10:41 PM.

This really is unbelievable. How long until Mad Max becomes a documentary?

I didn't think I would ever see anything to do with Covid19 in my area, but it looks like I was wrong. So I've been told to work from home as much as possible until further notice.

Of all the souls I have encountered in my travels, "insert name here" was the most human.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

A few days ago I was reading the following:

Date: March 15, 2020 at 9:42:49 AM EDT
    Conclusions of Goldman Sachs Investee call where 1,500 companies dialed in.

The key economic takeaways were:

50% of Americans will contract the virus (150m people) as it's very communicable. This is on a par with the common cold (Rhinovirus) of which there are about 200 strains and which the majority of Americans will get 2-4 per year.

70% of Germany will contract it (58M people). This is the next most relevant industrial economy to be effected.

Peak-virus is expected over the next eight weeks, declining thereafter.

The virus appears to be concentrated in a band between 30-50 degrees north latitude, meaning that like the common cold and flu, it prefers cold weather. The coming summer in the northern hemisphere should help. This is to say that the virus is likely seasonal.

Of those impacted 80% will be early-stage, 15% mid-stage and 5% critical-stage. Early-stage symptoms are like the common cold and mid-stage symptoms are like the flu; these are stay at home for two weeks and rest. 5% will be critical and highly weighted towards the elderly.

Mortality rate on average of up to 2%, heavily weight towards the elderly and immunocompromised; meaning up to 3m people (150m*.02). In the US about 3m/yr die mostly due to old age and disease, those two being highly correlated (as a percent very few from accidents). There will be significant overlap, so this does not mean 3m new deaths from the virus, it means elderly people dying sooner due to respiratory issues. This may however stress the healthcare system.

There is a debate as to how to address the virus pre-vaccine. The US is tending towards quarantine. The UK is tending towards allowing it to spread so that the population can develop a natural immunity. Quarantine is likely to be ineffective and result in significant economic damage but will slow the rate of transmission giving the healthcare system more time to deal with the case load.

Chinaís economy has been largely impacted which has affected raw materials and the global supply chain. It may take up to six months for it to recover.

Global GDP growth rate will be the lowest in 30 years at around 2%.

S&P 500 will see a negative growth rate of -15% to -20% for 2020 overall.

There will be economic damage from the virus itself, but the real damage is driven mostly by market psychology. Viruses have been with us forever. Stock markets should fully recover in the 2nd half of the year.

In the past week there has been a conflating of the impact of the virus with the developing oil price war between KSA and Russia. While reduced energy prices are generally good for industrial economies, the US is now a large energy exporter, so there has been a negative impact on the valuation of the domestic energy sector. This will continue for some time as the Russians are attempting to economically squeeze the American shale producers and the Saudiís are caught in the middle and do not want to further cede market share to Russia or the US.

Technically the market generally has been looking for a reason to reset after the longest bull market in history.

There is NO systemic risk. No one is even talking about that. Governments are intervening in the markets to stabilize them, and the private banking sector is very well capitalized. It feels more like ‪9/11 than it does like 2008.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Hero of Algol

it prefers cold weather. The coming summer in the northern hemisphere should help. This is to say that the virus is likely seasonal.
    This part is complete bs though.
    It's hot as hell in Brazil now and it's still spreading like fire through bushes.

And it's not only the health system which gets overloaded. When you have like 500 deaths a day, as Italy is experiencing now, many things are brought down to a halt.
    I wonder, for an example, all the legal issues that will result of so many elderly people dying at once there; don't think that they don't have properties and money that their respective families will be fighting for.

The report seems superficial and aimed at keeping companies from panicking.

"Global GDP growth rate will be the lowest in 30 years at around 2%."
    Also this. To expect any kind of Global GDP growth this year requires some strong wishful thinking.

It's more like an invisible world war than anything else. Countries such as Venezuela will be vanished from the map (they don't have water and soap in their hospitals to begin with and only 73 IC rooms for the whole country, I said *73*).

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

At work as usual today but the number one topic is the virus and how we'll all survive financially if the company closes due to a lock down. I work in the manufacturing department of a company and, although it's business as usual for now, unless you show symptoms, if the UK government orders a total lock down, like governments in France, Spain and Italy have, then I may be out of work and struggling for quite a while. Scary times.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    At work as usual today but the number one topic is the virus and how we'll all survive financially if the company closes due to a lock down. I work in the manufacturing department of a company and, although it's business as usual for now, unless you show symptoms, if the UK government orders a total lock down, like governments in France, Spain and Italy have, then I may be out of work and struggling for quite a while. Scary times.
    It makes one wonder whether this is a case of the cure being worse than the disease. They have shut down so much in most of the US that it is really scary (in terms of people's livelihoods being eliminated).

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    It makes one wonder whether this is a case of the cure being worse than the disease. They have shut down so much in most of the US that it is really scary (in terms of people's livelihoods being eliminated).
    No rational person in a leadership position wants to be responsible for the possible deaths of millions. But local and national governments shouldn't stop at lock downs. There also have to be emergency measures taken to protect the livelihoods of everyone affected. Unfortunately, there still hasn't been enough done on that end.

In other words, the "cure" should be better than the disease if it is implemented correctly.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Everyone's worried about the virus.. well, the potential recession that's gonna hit afterwards is probably going to be bad. At least in the US.

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Economically, the hit is going to be hard and long term.

I was thinking that if you're reliant on income via hotels, airlines, any form of tourism, travel agents, events/marketing, entertainment, conferences, restaurants, bars, any social gathering type of service/environment, non-essential retail stores, elective medicine, dentistry, even the beauty industry and hair salons it is gonna be hard to stay afloat and if your business was already struggling, you're done.
    As well as supply chains being hammered, from the raw materials, to the manufacturers, shipping, logistics and retailers.

And for every employee/entrepreneur involved in the above, there will be a knock on effect when bills can't be paid.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    Economically, the hit is going to be hard and long term.

I was thinking that if you're reliant on income via hotels, airlines, any form of tourism, travel agents, events/marketing, entertainment, conferences, restaurants, bars, any social gathering type of service/environment, non-essential retail stores, elective medicine, dentistry, even the beauty industry and hair salons it is gonna be hard to stay afloat and if your business was already struggling, you're done.
    As well as supply chains being hammered, from the raw materials, to the manufacturers, shipping, logistics and retailers.

And for every employee/entrepreneur involved in the above, there will be a knock on effect when bills can't be paid.
    We've been told that our economy is going to bounce back quickly after this whole charade. And really can I just say right now that if it weren't for China's negligence this wouldn't have happened? Obviously there's others to blame but still.

I'm already been having to take a week off and probably another soon, and I'm getting irritated with this whole thing. I've had to miss a week of classes, and it looks like the rest of the year will be all online. I don't know what's going to happen about me getting my certifications if this happens! The CEO that owns the Diamond Princess ship should be held responsible and be put out of business.
    Last edited by copper20; 03-19-2020 at 03:30 PM.

Thread Information