Quantcast

Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 567891011121319 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 299

Thread: Coronavirus

  1. #121
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,185
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    Iíll counter your silly argument with one of my own
    Huh? You literally said your job is more dangerous than catching a virus with a 2-5% mortality rate (it's actually more like 1%). I just wanted to know what you did that was so dangerous. Don't blame others if your own statements are questioned.

    Also, no offense, but you do not seem very informed about the risk that the virus poses. There are a million resources a quick Google search away.

    By the way, the CDC in the US has reported that 20% of those requiring hospitalization for serious complications are in the 20-44 age range.

    This isn't something that only affects the elderly. Even if you don't die from it, you can have lifelong side effects such as loss of respiratory capacity.

  2. #122
    Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    La La Land
    Posts
    10,330
    Rep Power
    132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Huh? You literally said your job is more dangerous than catching a virus with a 2-5% mortality rate (it's actually more like 1%). I just wanted to know what you did that was so dangerous.
    No, I said I put my life on the line just by Ďgoing to work every day.í Dying in a traffic accident is far more likely than dying from COVID-19. You thought I was talking about my job, I was simply referring to, you know, going about my normal life.

    And yes, Iíve also heard about how even survivors can have reduced lung capacity. Iíve also heard that most people who have contracted the virus experienced symptoms no more severe than your average cold. You can say whatever you want, but the fact is that ANY sickness can be fatal to someone with a compromised immune system.

    Iím not saying there isnít cause for CONCERN and CAUTION ... but what weíre experiencing right now is a complete global panic.

  3. #123
    End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    8,756
    Rep Power
    125

    Default

    Dallas County Judge Clay Jenkins has ordered people with non-essential jobs to take shelter.

    https://dfw.cbslocal.com/video/44892...arting-monday/
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."



  4. #124
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,227
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Italy is a horror show right now. On average about 800 people are dying due to this virus over there every day. God help us if things get that bad here in the UK. I have some very sweet elderly neighbours so today I'm going to see how they're doing and ask if I can get them any supplies from the shops, as people their age have been told to isolate themselves for three months! We need to look after each other in order to get through this.

  5. #125
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,805
    Rep Power
    177

    Default

    In this thread: "I'd rather see millions of people dying than change my mind."

    Anyway:

  6. #126
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,185
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    "It's just like the flu. I don't see what the big deal is."
    "It's a conspiracy created by the libs to make Trump look bad."
    "The media is blowing it out of proportion to create a panic."
    "Who cares about a few million old and sick people. They're going to die eventually anyway."
    "I'm not at-risk so I don't care if I get it."

    said no epidemiologist ever.

    It's frightening how little some people seem to understand the concept of exponential growth and the fragile state of our health care system.

  7. #127
    Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    JHB, SA
    Posts
    3,245
    Rep Power
    101

    Default

    Over in this neck of the woods we should be hearing by this evening with regard to any possible lockdown, and the extent thereof. But it does look imminent.

    A balancing act between health and our crappy economy.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

  8. #128
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,227
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Barone View Post
    In this thread: "I'd rather see millions of people dying than change my mind."

    Anyway:
    Who is saying that?! Don't create strawman arguments. We're all in this together.

  9. #129
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,805
    Rep Power
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    "It's just like the flu. I don't see what the big deal is."
    "It's a conspiracy created by the libs to make Trump look bad."
    "The media is blowing it out of proportion to create a panic."
    "Who cares about a few million old and sick people. They're going to die eventually anyway."
    "I'm not at-risk so I don't care if I get it."

    said no epidemiologist ever.

    It's frightening how little some people seem to understand the concept of exponential growth and the fragile state of our health care system.
    We're now in a situation where it's really dangerous for you and the ones in the areas that you live/circulate to be dumb, deny facts and ignore science.
    People who keep circulating without a very good reason to do so and keep reinforcing the "It's just the flu, bro" mentality are part of the problem.

    The really sad thing about the COVID-19 is that once lots of people begin to die it's already too late to contain a major disaster and you can only mitigate the issue by having a full lockdown and then waiting for weeks to see the daily death toll begin to decrease.

    I wish people would understand that this subject should be completely isolated from political views.
    Local political context allows politicians to try to use rhetoric to deny that your life is going to change and it's going to change for the worse. But when you do a little research on what PhDs from other countries and contaminated people are saying and you look at the numbers, boy, you don't need to be very smart to understand that something very serious is happening now and nobody here will be unaffected.

  10. #130
    WCPO Agent Mad Moham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    836
    Rep Power
    22

    Default

    I'm at least partially blaming the mainstream media for the whole 'its just the flu bro' mentality. The media have cried wolf way too many times with 'pandemics' in the past. It seems like every few years we're being told about some new 'pandemic' that will consume the planet, only for people to look around one year later and see that 10 people died worldwide and the media are full of shit.

    And I want to make it clear that I've taken covid19 seriously so far and avoided any contact when possible (washed my hands frequently etc). People need to stop being idiots but the media doesn't help at all in these situations.

  11. #131
    Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Posts
    1,185
    Rep Power
    46

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I'm at least partially blaming the mainstream media for the whole 'its just the flu bro' mentality. The media have cried wolf way too many times with 'pandemics' in the past. It seems like every few years we're being told about some new 'pandemic' that will consume the planet, only for people to look around one year later and see that 10 people died worldwide and the media are full of shit.

    And I want to make it clear that I've taken covid19 seriously so far and avoided any contact when possible (washed my hands frequently etc). People need to stop being idiots but the media doesn't help at all in these situations.
    Fox News in the US was, at least until recently, playing down the threat of the virus. There was a viral clip from a week or two ago of one of their announcers claiming that it was a Democrat conspiracy to impeach Trump and crash the stock market.

    The governor of Louisiana just announced that his state has the fastest growing rate of infections in the world. He said that if it continues at that rate, the state will run out of healthcare capacity in 7-10 days. We're not talking months down the road here. Once that happens, everyone who requires any kind of medical treatment will be in trouble. This extends way beyond "it's just the flu bro".

    Thankfully, we don't have to rely on the media alone to tell us if this is another false alarm. We have access to the actual facts and reports from health organizations around the world.

    It's dangerous to blindly accept whatever your media outlet of choice says, but it's also dangerous to reject everything as a false alarm. Instead, everyone owes it to those around them to be informed.

  12. #132
    Hero of Algol
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    7,805
    Rep Power
    177

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I'm at least partially blaming the mainstream media for the whole 'its just the flu bro' mentality. The media have cried wolf way too many times with 'pandemics' in the past. It seems like every few years we're being told about some new 'pandemic' that will consume the planet, only for people to look around one year later and see that 10 people died worldwide and the media are full of shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    Fox News in the US was, at least until recently, playing down the threat of the virus. There was a viral clip from a week or two ago of one of their announcers claiming that it was a Democrat conspiracy to impeach Trump and crash the stock market.
    I totally agree with both of you.
    I think both media and politicians have played this war of information for so long that a lot of people are now really confused and uncertain on what can be considered a "credible source".

    And, personally, I'd love to believe once again that this was just a hoax by the MSM. Sadly, this time it seems to be the real shit.

  13. #133
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,227
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Oh you just know that dickheads are gonna drag politics into this, it's almost inevitable. I wouldn't be suprised if this ends up being blamed on Trump or Brexit, such is the insanity that we live in.

  14. #134
    Master of Shinobi JCU's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Scranton, Pennsylvania
    Age
    43
    Posts
    1,592
    Rep Power
    33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Italy is a horror show right now. On average about 800 people are dying due to this virus over there every day. God help us if things get that bad here in the UK. I have some very sweet elderly neighbours so today I'm going to see how they're doing and ask if I can get them any supplies from the shops, as people their age have been told to isolate themselves for three months! We need to look after each other in order to get through this.
    Hopefully it is not customary to greet people with a cheek kiss over the pond like in Italy which is one huge reason why it is ballooning out of control there. Smart thinking about the old folks.

  15. #135
    Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    2,227
    Rep Power
    56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Hopefully it is not customary to greet people with a cheek kiss over the pond like in Italy which is one huge reason why it is ballooning out of control there. Smart thinking about the old folks.
    lol no, I stood at a healthy distance from her and she gave me a list of things to get for her, which I duly did. I told her I'm happy to help any time.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (1 members and 1 guests)

  1. sharicc69

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •