Quantcast

Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 67891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mega Drive Bowlsey View Post
    Oh you just know that dickheads are gonna drag politics into this, it's almost inevitable. I wouldn't be suprised if this ends up being blamed on Trump or Brexit, such is the insanity that we live in.
    That happened a while ago, at least over here. I have some other British friends who say the country got shut down today, you alright?

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mad Moham View Post
    I'm at least partially blaming the mainstream media for the whole 'its just the flu bro' mentality. The media have cried wolf way too many times with 'pandemics' in the past. It seems like every few years we're being told about some new 'pandemic' that will consume the planet, only for people to look around one year later and see that 10 people died worldwide and the media are full of shit.

And I want to make it clear that I've taken covid19 seriously so far and avoided any contact when possible (washed my hands frequently etc). People need to stop being idiots but the media doesn't help at all in these situations.
    People are used to hearing from the Boy that cried wolf, and now that the Wolf is really here, people are having a hard time believing it.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Stuck in the Past Shining Hero The Jackal's Avatar

I've been in quarantine for a week now, only going out for food and other essentials, and I've seen so many idiots carrying on like this is some holiday, meeting in large groups in the park, and frighteningly, it's mostly parents with their kids.

I just wish this would end.
    Last edited by The Jackal; 03-23-2020 at 10:11 PM.

Click image above for my Youtube channel.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    That happened a while ago, at least over here. I have some other British friends who say the country got shut down today, you alright?
    Yeah mate. It's pretty much business as usual for me. I don't tend to go out much in normal times, and with everything being shut, there's even less reason to go out. Where I work hasn't been shut down, and hopefully won't be as I think the company I work for comes under the government bracket of 'essential services'. We manufacture health supplements, such as vitamins, immune boosters and multivitamin tinctures and tonics for both kids and adults. I think things would have to get seriously bad, like Italy bad, for us to shut down.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert RvR's Avatar

Two of my family members got the virus because they got back from a trip in early march. One was not affected badly and it was only like a fever/flu mix, the other additionally experienced pain in the lungs and the fever/flu symptoms are still present after 3 weeks. My brothers guitar teacher also got the virus, he was 50 but had health complications and he died last week. I knew him pretty well, he was always such a positive guy. Mostly I am worried about my grandparents. In late February my dad and brother went to visit my grandfather, this absolutely terrified me because I was the only one of my friends/family taking the virus seriously at the time. My dad was repeating the "it kills less people than the flu" info, I don't understand how that piece of info got so viral when the danger is clearly from the infection rate which makes it much deadlier in the long run. The good news is that my dad said by the time they left the old folks home there was a sign saying no visitors are permitted under any circumstances. Old folks homes should be treated like fortresses, all entrants should have to go through some kind of decontamination chamber. Also a lot of the low mortality rate data is the early data from China, if you look at the European data the death rate is higher and keeps getting higher.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

We here in Northern California were the first in the country to begin "shelter in place". I wish they'd have a different term for it, you're allowed to go outside. This isn't like Twelve Monkeys. Nevertheless, these measures are absolutely necessary. Dismissing it as 'panic' is ignorant and dangerous. This isn't just like the flu (that's true for many people in terms of symptoms, but it's affecting us differently), it's not going to go away when it gets warm, and if you're not affected by it now, you soon will be, in one way or another. And no, we won't be back to business as usual on Easter.

Things wouldn't be this bad if testing had been made widely available weeks ago. Even now, it's not widely available. There's no good reason for that.

Personally, my roommate works at a grocery store, so I figure I am pretty likely to get infected. I may or may not have already had it. I had what I thought was a bad case of the flu in February. By "bad" I mean for an average adult, not to the level of hospitalization. This was well before businesses were closed and everyone ran out of toilet paper, and even before there was any recommendation to avoid crowds and so on. But it was shortly after the first confirmed case of local transmission in the US, which was in Davis, CA, not super far from me. That first confirmed case lagged the first incidence by how much? Nobody knows. Even if I wanted to be proactive I had no way of finding out at the time, and I have no way of finding out now, until they make an antibody test available.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

I heard that everyone in California is on lockdown until May. Does that now include grocery stores?

What sucks is it's allergy season in Texas. I see pollen dust collecting on my trash can lids and the hood of my truck. I could be carrying the virus and wouldn't know, because during this time of year, I'm sneezing and coughing from it.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03-25-2020 at 09:45 PM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I heard that everyone in California is on lockdown until May. Does that now include grocery stores?
    Colorado just went on it - there are a wide variety of businesses that are exempt since they are deemed "essential" - including grocery stores and such places as liquor stores and pot dispensaries.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    Any place that sells food, not strictly just grocery stores, is exempt as "essential" business but they can't have a dining area. So the little food stands inside Target and Whole Foods are closed, but the stores are still open. Restaurants are open for takeout/delivery only, though a significant fraction of them have decided to just close up instead. Everyone I know has been getting tons of takeout, but restaurants that are more focused on the social aspect of dining out, or that cater to old people, are pretty screwed.

Aside from food, retail stores are open if they sell medicine, pet supplies, hardware/tools, auto parts, bicycle parts, or marijuana. There are also "essential services" that are exempt, mostly the obvious like mechanics and plumbers. It's a pretty long list, basically anything you need to maintain a first-world living, with the notable exception of, you know, a job for a lot of people. If you have enough money for essentials, and don't urgently need medical care (or toilet paper), you're not suffering.

Some people have made fun of dispensaries being deemed "essential", but this is exactly the kind of situation that calls for smoking weed. Everyone's cooped up in their homes playing video games and watching Netflix and ordering takeout.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

As much as I do not favor a complete 100% (minus medical attention) lock down, it should have been done at the beginning of last week or maybe even earlier. If it was enacted, that two week incubation stage (touted by the many) would have been close to completion. NYC is like a dirty petri dish in an even dirtier lab and these people should be locked down completely yet it seems to be quite the cavalier approach. This is like ripping a band aide off a hairy arm. If it needs to be removed, which it does, do it faster than not and the pain and effects will subside quicker.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

This heat map shows the spread of Spring Breakers from a single beach in Florida:

https://twitter.com/MikaelThalen/sta...81598037913600

Now multiply that by however many thousands of similar beaches and travel destinations that people insisted on going to, despite knowing that they might be spreading the virus.

That, and the attitude expressed by no small minority that COVID-19 is "just some flu-like illness that only affects old people", and you get the current result: the United States now has more cases than any other country in the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Jake Armitage View Post
    Colorado just went on it - there are a wide variety of businesses that are exempt since they are deemed "essential" - including grocery stores and such places as liquor stores and pot dispensaries.
    That’s about where we are in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area. I’m considered an essential service, since I provide installation and services for business networks. I and another Service tech worked this week, while the others quarantined themselves, which they are going to regret later. I was going to go into quarantine next week, but some outdoor work came up. I got a SmashBurger back online this morning and went home after that.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

I had to go to Home Depot yesterday (business, not pleasure), and it was a pretty awful experience. This is one of the last bastions for people hoping to find paper products and cleaning supplies.

There was a cranky old fart walking in behind me and I heard him remark to his wife that everyone “seemed to think they were on fucking vacation.” That seemed to be the general attitude of everyone else in the store, as the overall mood could charitably be described as “surly.” Seems like most people think that what THEY are out doing is “essential,” whereas everyone else is clearly not taking the situation seriously and should be at home.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

in my country 80% on icu are overweight (italy similar as well). so you can imagine the shithole america will be in.

Thread Information