Quantcast

Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 9151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Yup. Trump supporters are cult members.
    Really? I'm English though, does that still count? Do I get to wear a hooded cowel as part of this cult? One with weird pagan runes inscribed on it? That would be pretty cool.

I don't care about the WHO. The point Trump tried to make was that the WHO lied about the danger of the virus. It's another of his excuses. His administration KNEW the dangers, and did nothing about it. It took Fauci a MONTH to be allowed even to brief the President. FAILURE. Keep defending this crook though, have fun.

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

Trump on Feb. 10: "China I can tell you is working very hard. We're working with them. You know, we just sent some of our best people over there, World Health Organization and a lot of them are composed of our people. They're fantastic. And they're now in China, and we're helping them out. We're in very good shape."

Funny, I don't remember any of Trump's supporters breaking with him when he said this. The WHO has plenty of issues but cutting funding is just a stunt by Trump to point the finger at someone else. And his supporters suddenly have a new opinion of the WHO and its director when Trump makes that announcement, and not a moment sooner. I didn't see anyone who normally supports Trump saying, back in February, "I disagree with the president on this one, the WHO has been overly politicized and their director is a PRC hack." The accusations of 'Marxism', by the way, seem to be based on the fact that he's Ethiopian. Nevermind the fact that Marxists in 2020 are overwhelmingly anti-China.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    Trump on Feb. 10: "China I can tell you is working very hard. We're working with them. You know, we just sent some of our best people over there, World Health Organization and a lot of them are composed of our people. They're fantastic. And they're now in China, and we're helping them out. We're in very good shape."

Funny, I don't remember any of Trump's supporters breaking with him when he said this. The WHO has plenty of issues but cutting funding is just a stunt by Trump to point the finger at someone else. And his supporters suddenly have a new opinion of the WHO and its director when Trump makes that announcement, and not a moment sooner. I didn't see anyone who normally supports Trump saying, back in February, "I disagree with the president on this one, the WHO has been overly politicized and their director is a PRC hack." The accusations of 'Marxism', by the way, seem to be based on the fact that he's Ethiopian. Nevermind the fact that Marxists in 2020 are overwhelmingly anti-China.
    I haven't posted much political stuff on here before (because, it's a gaming forum) but I've been a critic of the UN/WHO for years. Even during a crisis they want to play political games, like praising China and ignoring Taiwan. Who said anything about Tedros being Ethiopian? He's a member of the Tigray People's Liberation Front, which is a Marxist group. I don't want a politician or political activist running the WHO. I'd say the same if he was a conservative or libertarian or whatever.

Yup. Trump supporters are cult members.
    And you're an unhinged loser. What did the guy ever do to you?

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Ah, another cultist. Keep em coming. Makes the list easier to make.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

That doesn't mean I like Trump entirely. You need major help if you're going to generalize.
    Last edited by sull56ivan2010; 04-15-2020 at 09:28 PM.

I get the sense that no one really saw this coming, and I'm not sure why. Maybe because most outbreaks don't spread to this degree and we're use to getting lucky? Obviously someone slipped up, but I don't see how the blame lies on Trump to a significant degree. Most of the countries around the world are in shit shape right now. Why would anyone put stock into what Trump "thinks" about a potential pandemic, he's not the expert, and you'd be deluding yourself to believe any other sitting president would have made better preemptive decisions to mitigate an outbreak. Seems to me like the fault would have to fall back on WHO, and China, more than anyone. So much sketchy, unregulated garbage goes on over there it's a recipe for precisely this.

... but the notion that anyone would "lie" and knowingly let a deadly virus go global, I think is a stretch. There's a difference between lying, and just incompetence. Incompetence is often at the root of a blame game. Besides, they couldn't hide the fact that it originated in Wuhan, so what use would it be to outright lie about the potential global impact?

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by WarmSignal View Post
    So much sketchy, unregulated garbage goes on over there it's a recipe for precisely this.
    * Unlocked subtle witty pun award *

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    I haven't posted much political stuff on here before (because, it's a gaming forum) but I've been a critic of the UN/WHO for years. Even during a crisis they want to play political games, like praising China and ignoring Taiwan. Who said anything about Tedros being Ethiopian? He's a member of the Tigray People's Liberation Front, which is a Marxist group. I don't want a politician or political activist running the WHO. I'd say the same if he was a conservative or libertarian or whatever.
    They were Marxist historically but it's not correct to call them a Marxist group. Tedros first worked in the ministry of health in Ethiopia's previous communist regime, which was on the opposite side of the Ethiopian Civil War from the TPLF. He fled the country when the government was overthrown and the leader of the TPLF took power. Zenawi had taken over the TPLF a couple years prior and moved them away from Marxism to get international support. I am pretty sure Tedros was not actively supporting the TPLF while he was working for the government the TPLF was in armed rebellion against. Zenawi stayed in power for 20 years and Tedros moved back to Ethiopia after 10 years, worked for the health dept for a few years, and then in 2005 was appointed health minister. In general, in the 2000s Ethiopia was not being referred to as a Marxist country.

Taiwan is kind of a bigger issue. Most countries, including the USA, don't recognize Taiwan. Find me any international organization that treats Taiwan as a legitimate country. I'm in favor of Taiwan gaining recognition but I don't blame the director of the WHO for not going out on a limb on that, especially considering the WHO is under the UN's purview, and Tedros doesn't exactly have a say in the UN's consistent shunning of Taiwan since the 70s.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Behold world! the cliche "American who thinks everything can only be left and right, and everything that's not his side is EVIL!!"

Watch as he resorts to shouting nazi and crying to the people in authority when people prove him wrong!

Don't get too close kids, he'll throw SHIT at you when you ignore his rantings about how only HE knows the truth.

WCPO Agent

Quote Originally Posted by j_factor View Post
    They were Marxist historically but it's not correct to call them a Marxist group. Tedros first worked in the ministry of health in Ethiopia's previous communist regime, which was on the opposite side of the Ethiopian Civil War from the TPLF. He fled the country when the government was overthrown and the leader of the TPLF took power. Zenawi had taken over the TPLF a couple years prior and moved them away from Marxism to get international support. I am pretty sure Tedros was not actively supporting the TPLF while he was working for the government the TPLF was in armed rebellion against. Zenawi stayed in power for 20 years and Tedros moved back to Ethiopia after 10 years, worked for the health dept for a few years, and then in 2005 was appointed health minister. In general, in the 2000s Ethiopia was not being referred to as a Marxist country.

Taiwan is kind of a bigger issue. Most countries, including the USA, don't recognize Taiwan. Find me any international organization that treats Taiwan as a legitimate country. I'm in favor of Taiwan gaining recognition but I don't blame the director of the WHO for not going out on a limb on that, especially considering the WHO is under the UN's purview, and Tedros doesn't exactly have a say in the UN's consistent shunning of Taiwan since the 70s.
    So he's not a Marxist, he's a communist? Either way -- the WHO is a far left organization run by far left activists. The focus should be on public health not promoting ideology. On Taiwan you are right that most countries don't recognize it as a sovereign nation, but I thought the UN/WHO was supposed to represent everyone. Taiwan was sounding the alarm on Coronavirus and UN/WHO decided to go with China's story instead, which cost us valuable time.

Quote Originally Posted by axel View Post
    So he's not a Marxist, he's a communist?
    I don't know what his personal views are but my point is that his career doesn't appear to be ideologically driven. He is from Ethiopia and worked for the Ethiopian government; he was willing to work for the regime that had ousted the regime he previously worked for. The government of Ethiopia in the 2000s was neither Marxist nor communist anyway. The Zenawi administration liberalized the Ethiopian economy, privatized industry, and prioritized growth. I don't know what you think Marxism is, but it's not that. Marxists are not generally inclined to tout 9% GDP growth as a huge victory. What is true is that they had been a Marxist-identified group in the 80s, and Tedros didn't have a problem with that history in 2001, but that doesn't make him a Marxist.

Either way -- the WHO is a far left organization run by far left activists. The focus should be on public health not promoting ideology.
    "Far left" how? What ideology? Do you have anything substantive to point to?

On Taiwan you are right that most countries don't recognize it as a sovereign nation, but I thought the UN/WHO was supposed to represent everyone. Taiwan was sounding the alarm on Coronavirus and UN/WHO decided to go with China's story instead, which cost us valuable time.
    That is true but that's not "far left activism", that's just called fucking up. "Far left" is not a catchall term for anything bad. Trump also took China's word on the virus, is he far left now?

The thing with the Chinese Virus is we know exactly where the blame lies for the pandemic but it isn't politically correct to say it. Our politicians though? If one is blamed, the rest own it too. All of them have been learning as they go which, IMO, is not how something serious should be addressed. The strategy has been constantly changing on inconsistent.

Thread Information