Quantcast

Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71314151617181920 LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

To all who have taken this opportunity wish death upon others...

How pathetic IrishNinja, that your only hope is for them to die, knowing your weak-sauce keyboard sophistry will forever lack any traction or ability to effect change in the world. The only way you might hypothetically win, is if all of your adversaries drop dead. Useless freakin' pansy. You are the reason your end of the political spectrum is taken to be such a joke. Because you can't refrain from saying such dumb shit and exposing your true colors, despite your best efforts to sound intelligent and civilized. You're as much a barbarian as anyone.

The Cat in the Hat Shining Hero NeoVamp's Avatar

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher Jake Armitage's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NeoVamp View Post

Boris Johnson did try for herd immunity, then quickly had to renege when it backfired. I'm glad he's doing well now, though the British people should not forget that he DID perhaps gamble with their lives. Whether that was some foolhardy offshoot of Brexit, whereby the UK must now do the opposite of the E.U. at ever turn, I do not know?

Now Bolsonaro though belongs in a straitjacket, he's just someone who is so arrogant that if you told him that grass was green, he'd flip out and argue that it's purple.

The most eerily fitting "tune" that I know of -

...but on a more optimistic note -

Last edited by WarmSignal; 04-11-2020 at 07:30 PM.

^I was trying to go with something a bit more upbeat and... 90's.

Corona seemed appropriate for anyone old enough to remember when Eurodance ruled. Here's my runner-up though:

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Members of my immediate family seem to have had it, and recovered, without the need for hospitalization, based on the symptoms and curiously long duration they were sick. Hmm.

- Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely every country is doing the "herd immunity" strategy by default anyway?

The virus is supposedly twice as contagious as seasonal flu, and judging by the figures which come from the cruise ships the true death rate is somewhere ~1%, indicating a massive under reporting of overall cases in all western countries (that there is an under reporting doesn't seem particularly contentious at this stage). Unless there are some other unknown factors going on here then surely millions of people even just in Western Europe must already have this.

So the virus at this stage is impossible to bring under control, and a vaccine won't be here for over a year.

This will only come to an end when so many people have had it, got over it, and built up some level of immunity that the transmission rate will drastically fall, it seems to me that all our governments are doing is steering and slowing down the "herd immunity" process in order to protect our health services from going over capacity.
    Last edited by Thenewguy; 04-12-2020 at 08:04 AM.

Yes, you can't really prevent this thing from spreading anymore, the goal is just to flatten the "curve", i.e. reduce height of the peak of the infection.
    Doing so will drag the pandemic on for longer, but it will allow hospitals to respond somewhat effectively. What you don't want is for the hospitals to get even more overloaded than they already are, because then even people with other conditions won't be able to get effective treatment.

COVID-19 is particularly bad because it varies so much in how it affects people. Some people are totally asymptomatic (but still carriers and spreading it), others have mild symptoms that seem more like a cold or the flu and don't get tested, and then you have the unfortunate whose immune system fails to mount an effective response and get their lungs poked full of holes. It's also extremely virulent (thank you bats! ) and spreads like wildfire.

We don't even know yet why some people are so much more affected than others. If you have the full symptoms your chance of dying is highly correlated with preexisting conditions yes, but getting the asymptomatic or really mild cases is a different story and could just be genetic. Most of the damage the virus does is due to its ability to infect a particular type of signaling immune cell which then goes haywire and calls for the nuclear option (which is what damages your lungs so much, more than the viral infection itself).

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

I read that they may be a connection with Covid-19 and vaccines used for treating tuberculosis.

Over in this neck of the woods we all got TB shots as a matter of course.

Apparently, even though TB and Covid-19 are two very different diseases, tuberculosis vaccines might help people build immune responses to things other than TB. That in clinical trial format, people started picking up positive benefit from getting the vaccine that had nothing to do with tuberculosis.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thenewguy View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but surely every country is doing the "herd immunity" strategy by default anyway?

The virus is supposedly twice as contagious as seasonal flu, and judging by the figures which come from the cruise ships the true death rate is somewhere ~1%, indicating a massive under reporting of overall cases in all western countries (that there is an under reporting doesn't seem particularly contentious at this stage). Unless there are some other unknown factors going on here then surely millions of people even just in Western Europe must already have this.

So the virus at this stage is impossible to bring under control, and a vaccine won't be here for over a year.

This will only come to an end when so many people have had it, got over it, and built up some level of immunity that the transmission rate will drastically fall, it seems to me that all our governments are doing is steering and slowing down the "herd immunity" process in order to protect our health services from going over capacity.
    There are still a lot of unknowns.

We don't have good data on what percent of people are infected but asymptomatic, which could drastically alter the mortality rate. Several countries are now conducting large scale random sampling of towns that have experienced outbreaks to determine what percent of people there were actually infected.

The concept of "herd immunity" doesn't really apply to the COVID-19 situation (at least, it's not going to somehow save us). Herd immunity is a term used in regards to vaccination - if you vaccinate 90% of the population, then the remaining 10% (who can't be vaccinated for whatever reason) will receive immunity because the virus will be unable to spread.

Without a vaccine, herd immunity would require ~70% of the population to be infected by the coronavirus, which kind of defeats the purpose of herd immunity. Nowhere near 70% of the population is healthy enough to carry that burden, you can't target who gets infected, and you will still have pockets of at-risk people living together and infecting each other.

Good summary of the silliness of discussing herd immunity when there is no vaccine: https://www.sciencealert.com/why-her...id-19-pandemic

There's also the complicating factor that we don't even know if you can be re-infected after having the virus once. It's not clear how long the antibodies grant immunity, and some people may not even develop adequate antibodies for immunity. South Korea has just reported that 91 people who recovered from COVID-19 have now tested positive again, although it's not clear if the virus was in their system the entire time and just reactivated.

Good summary of the uncertainties of developing immunity to COVID-19: https://www.scientificamerican.com/a...-really-means/

Raging in the Streets Thierry Henry's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    There's also the complicating factor that we don't even know if you can be re-infected after having the virus once. It's not clear how long the antibodies grant immunity, and some people may not even develop adequate antibodies for immunity.
    AFAIK, they are thinking the time-frame for immunity after one has contracted the virus and recovered, normally would be up to two years. I got that from a doctor speaking on one of the news networks. That's just what I heard.
    Quote Originally Posted by soviet View Post
    We believe! SEGA Empire will live again! As the Jews re-established their Israel, GOD will never forget his people, SEGA will never forget her fans!

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thierry Henry View Post
    AFAIK, they are thinking the time-frame for immunity after one has contracted the virus and recovered, normally would be up to two years. I got that from a doctor speaking on one of the news networks. That's just what I heard.
    The second link I posted discusses the different possibilities. 2-3 years immunity is what was found for SARS, which has some similarities to COVID-19. But coronaviruses that cause the common cold create immunity of less than one year.

None of that really means anything, though, because there still isn't sufficient research on immunity for those infected with COVID-19.

From what I've heard the early Covid-19 testing was shown to be providing piles of false negatives and false positives.

As such I think its still fair to think that people will gain some level of immunity to it due to the way people react to similar viruses.

I don't think anything will stop this thing infecting 70% of the population frankly, it seems too contagious to me.

Thread Information