Quantcast

Page 14 of 20 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: Coronavirus

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    It's misleading because there are two strains of the virus. https://abcnews.go.com/Health/scient...ry?id=69391954

Nobody seems to have an answer about which one is more fatal. I've heard of an example where a couple had contracted the virus, and while the husband had more dire symptoms, he survived while his wife died.
    There are many strains.
    Have a look here:
    https://nextstrain.org/ncov

Now, for the case you cited as an example, there are doctors indicating that people who lost sense to smell and taste may have had their brains infected by the virus.
    Studies on which and how the organs are affected are still very preliminary; one of the issues being the focus solely on lungs early on and the overwhelming amount of deaths in western countries leaving little room for proper autopsy.
    Some people in Brazil have reported kidneys and other organs being affected. It varies from one person to another, even inside the same family.
    Last edited by Barone; 04-03-2020 at 09:04 AM.

Rebel scum Shining Hero MrMatthews's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    The only appropriate response to your posts; clearly intelligence is not your string point. Thanks for contributing to the problem.
    Well youíre the dumb cunt who canít or wonít think for himself.

By the way, your numbers are... really interesting. Gryson, did you read that post by chance? THATíS how you use fear to drive behavior.

Since rational discourse appears to be off the table, Iím out. But consider this: anyone who is going to be convinced has already been convinced. You guys can shake your fists at every person you see in the daylight and beg and plead for mommy and daddy to step in and take more OG your freedoms away, but the fact remains is that social behavior has not been bent as far as itís going to without breaking.

The outcome of this whole thing was decided weeks ago, thereís no changing it now. So it doesnít matter what any of us say, weíre just going to have to sit back and wait to see whatís going to happen.

Good luck to you guys. Sounds like youíre going to need it.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingRoad Rasher

Quote Originally Posted by MrMatthews View Post
    By the way, your numbers are... really interesting.
    I'm sorry you can't understand simply math applied against a patterned scenario and trend. Hopefully your janitorial services for hire are more developed. Good luck in life.

How are you guys doing, especially those abroad? I live on the east coast of the U.S. I havenít been affected personally and no one I know has.

Hero of Algol

Quote Originally Posted by Blades View Post
    How are you guys doing, especially those abroad? I live on the east coast of the U.S. I havenít been affected personally and no one I know has.
    I'm doing fine for now.

I live in Sao Carlos (in Sao Paulo state) in Brazil.
    My city has around 200,000 inhabitants and usually it has lots of students because it has 2 very big public universities (which are the better ones in Brazil), 1 public Tech Institute, 3 national agricultural labs and lots of startups.

- By mid of March all education-related buildings in Brazil were closed due to the preparation for the pandemic, so the vast majority of the students went back home and my city is half-empty now, which is good to me in terms of available supermarkets and hospitals but surely terrible for the local economy.

- A friend of mine owns one of the biggest restaurants in the city and by the end of March the attendance had already dropped to 15% of the normal (no students + people getting scared).
    Mandatory closings to restaurants and all non-essential business came right after, still during March.
    I talk to him almost every day and he's about to fire all his employees at the moment; they're working with delivery now but the demand is rather low to them, much lower than needed to keep it going.

- Brazilian currency has lost 20-25% of its value since the pandemic. A crushing inflationary domino effect is to be expected in the following months.

- I'm mostly buying stuff I need online and it's still arriving on time given that you pick your seller wisely. A lot of stuff comes from the capital, Sao Paulo, which is 250 km away from my city through some of the best roads in the country, so it's smooth sailing to me compared to the rest of the country.
    People who live in North/Northeast of Brazil are rather fucked in that regard.

- I'm working from home since March 16, when home office became mandatory in the company I work for.
    The team of developers I lead is all fine, people are working from home with no issues; no one got sick yet and their families are also fine.

- Our main client is a high-end on-demand European aviation company which operates globally. Until mid March things were going fine, but now with many countries closing their airspace it's becoming challenging to find customers so they're expanding to cargo and health emergency-related transportation to try to keep the business going.

- I'm doing voluntary work with a group of 12 students and two researchers to develop a mental health app for the college students of our universities.

- I'm mentoring one of our recently-hired developers.

- During the weekends I'm preparing my place for months of home office work and isolation.
    Last edited by Barone; 04-03-2020 at 11:17 AM.

Master of Shinobi Mega Drive Bowlsey's Avatar

Well youíre the dumb cunt who canít or wonít think for himself.

By the way, your numbers are... really interesting. Gryson, did you read that post by chance? THATíS how you use fear to drive behavior.

Since rational discourse appears to be off the table, Iím out. But consider this: anyone who is going to be convinced has already been convinced. You guys can shake your fists at every person you see in the daylight and beg and plead for mommy and daddy to step in and take more OG your freedoms away, but the fact remains is that social behavior has not been bent as far as itís going to without breaking.

The outcome of this whole thing was decided weeks ago, thereís no changing it now. So it doesnít matter what any of us say, weíre just going to have to sit back and wait to see whatís going to happen.

Good luck to you guys. Sounds like youíre going to need it.
    Yup, I'm out too. It's a waste of time. It's like I said, we live in an age of hysteria. I mean if people are starting to panic now, can you imagine what they're gonna be like when the shit really hits the fan?! The mind boggles.

The beginning moments of RE3 remake are quite fitting for today's situation. IMO more people would be reached and cooperate if the fear mongering approach was saddled for adult-like conversation.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

This is just sad: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...enger-coughing

TLDR: Detroit bus driver records video right after a passenger carelessly coughs all over the bus. Two weeks later the bus driver dies from COVID-19.

I guess there's no proof that that passenger caused the infection, but if true, that shit is basically murder.

Outrunner

Talks about wanting "rational discourse" but then starts babbling irrationally and incoherently on about having the evil government "take more OG your freedoms away". I'm curious .. do you have a different shaped tin foil hat for each day or do you have the same one superglued to your head? Carry on .. do whatever you want.. I don't give a fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    The beginning moments of RE3 remake are quite fitting for today's situation. IMO more people would be reached and cooperate if the fear mongering approach was saddled for adult-like conversation.
    What would constitute "adult-like conversation" to you? Do you want to suggest a better way of preventing the spread of a highly contagious virus that if allowed to run rampant would destroy the hospital and health systems of developed world. or would you rather stick your head in the sand and pretend there's nothing wrong?

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    This is just sad: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...enger-coughing

TLDR: Detroit bus driver records video right after a passenger carelessly coughs all over the bus. Two weeks later the bus driver dies from COVID-19.

I guess there's no proof that that passenger caused the infection, but if true, that shit is basically murder.
    There's plenty of morons the world over. Hopefully they can catch the motherfucker that did it by using the video.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    What would constitute "adult-like conversation" to you? Do you want to suggest a better way of preventing the spread of a highly contagious virus that if allowed to run rampant would destroy the hospital and health systems of developed world. or would you rather stick your head in the sand and pretend there's nothing wrong?
    Not scaring the shit out of people to the point where they think merely stepping outside and taking a breath will lead to ones' demise.......would be a great start. Sometimes I have to check and see if I am in a Romero film or a RE game.

Mega Driver Hedgehog-in-TrainingMaster of Shinobi Gryson's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JCU View Post
    Not scaring the shit out of people to the point where they think merely stepping outside and taking a breath will lead to ones' demise.......would be a great start. Sometimes I have to check and see if I am in a Romero film or a RE game.
    What news are you reading/watching where this is happening? This keeps being brought up but I don't watch TV and generally read higher quality news sources so I haven't been exposed to it. Could you give an example of a reputable news source trying to scare the shit out of people with misinformation?

Hero of Algol

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by Gryson View Post
    What news are you reading/watching where this is happening? This keeps being brought up but I don't watch TV and generally read higher quality news sources so I haven't been exposed to it. Could you give an example of a reputable news source trying to scare the shit out of people with misinformation?
    People must be getting it from somewhere, right? Where do you think they are getting news and knowledge and such? Perhaps a fortune cookie or the bottom of a cracker jack box? When one turns on the television and sees people who are frightened to death to go to the store, you know where they are getting it from. Don't be coy. How about that giant douche Cuomo? Listen to his daily conferences and then ask me your question again. Click on yahoo, cnn or the like and notice how the number of people who are either asymptomatic or recovered from the Chinese Virus or even recovered at home is usually not mentioned in favor of plastering the number of dead in bright red colors? The realization of this disease might be better received if the media would report the positives rather than just the negatives.

AKA Mister Xiado Master of Shinobi Raijin Z's Avatar

Still on lockdown in my area. They relaxed the rules on leaving your house because the police were terrified at having to arrest potentially infectious people. Huh.

Meanwhile, a continent south of me:
    Warning: burning bodies
    - Where it's always 1992 (or so).
    Youtube - Terminated
    BitChute - Fragmented, but functional

Thread Information