Quantcast

Thread: American Laser Games GAMEGUN repair help please?

Death Adder's minion

Default American Laser Games GAMEGUN repair help please?

Hey All,

I have an American Laser Games GAMEGUN that doesn't work. Does anyone have any experience fixing these and or know the common issues when they die? The guy I bought it from said ti worked and that he was playing Mad Dog with it the day before sending it to me but I'm kinda doubting that at this point. That or it finally died when it sent it to me.

I've tried it with both the Menacer 6 in 1 and Leathal Enforcers on a crt using a model 2 genesis. Lethal Enforcers only registers the trigger press in the menu, no recognition of the sensor on screen at all. The start button doesn't seem to work at all on any game at all including LE 1 or 2. The menacer 6 in 1 doesn't recognize the aim sensor, the start button or the trigger. I'm ok with rebuilding the whole thing but I'd like to cut out any unneeded work as possible. I can see what looks like corrosion on the PCB as well as old flux stains too. Is the larger componant just a normal resistor or is it one of those weird color coded capasitors? I would post pics of the PCB but I don't see anyway to add attachments on this forum. It's been a LONG time since I've been here so forgive me if there is a way to do so.

Thanks.

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingNameless One pyroesp's Avatar

I'm guessing you can't send it back and get a refund ?
    Other question, your TV is not one of those fast(er) CRTs that uses freq higher than 50/60Hz? I don't know about the older guns but my PS1 GUNCON would not work on a 100Hz CRT.

There's an insert image icon, or just upload your pictures to imgur and post links.

These things were notoriously flaky. People would find them new old stock and they wouldn't work.

Death Adder's minion

Quote Originally Posted by Greg2600 View Post
    These things were notoriously flaky. People would find them new old stock and they wouldn't work.
    That is fine, I'm looking to repair one. I've never heard of them being dead NOA previously but even so, the non-working state is not a concern, fixing it is. Finding others with experience with these light guns is my intention with this thread.

This is all I could find, off a Dragon's Lair website. I wanted an ALG for my 3DO awhile ago, so I started researching them. That's when I found out they are prone to breaking, and I found nothing about repair. The few ancient postings I saw ended with "buy a new one."

Death Adder's minion

Thanks Greg. That could be very helpful in the future. I've not seen that before and I'm grateful for you sharing that!!

Death Adder's minion

This is the front and back of the PCB inside the SEGA CD model. I've labeled nearly all componants. Those 2 diodes and the inductor standing up are normally attached across the board. I've marked them on the PCB in purple. This model does not have the mecury switch at all and is mapped out much differently.

Raging in the Streets xelement5x's Avatar

The ALG gun only works with their games I though. Like Johnney Rock, Mad Dog 1 & 2 and Crime Patrol.

Did you try with any of those games first?

EDIT:
    Also, I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be on controller port 2, not 1. You are doing that as well right?
    Last edited by xelement5x; 04-01-2020 at 02:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by StarMist View Post
    A spine card is the hymen of a new game assuring its first owner that he is truly her one and only, and of a used game assuring its new owner that whilst she has been played with in the past that play has never been too careless or thorough.

Death Adder's minion

Yes I used it on port 2 I agree that after all this testing and research, the ALG GAMEGUN clearly only works with these few titles and not as a menacer or justifier as falsely reported so many times over. At least this rumor is now dispelled definitively. With any luck when people look up the GAMEGUN they will now find accurate info about it and not just the inaccurate rumors.

So your gun is actually working?

Death Adder's minion

It wasn't when I got it, the pcb population was spent. It might be now after replacing everything with new parts on the board but I won't know for sure until I get a Sega CD and an ALG title to confirm this with.

Thread Information