Quantcast

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 5 (Official Thread)

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

[QUOTE=Team Andromeda;858313]I would imagine developers will rather (have) 2 Teraflops of more GPU power myself, than a little faster loading and I very much doubt the Series X will be a slouch in the loading dept either.
    Who knows maybe SONY has better dictated Soundhardware

Sata SSD is limited by old ass AHSI standards which runs about @600MBps. The NVME drive in the PS5 will stream out data at 5.5 GBPs. This is beyond loading a game up. It is like having extremely fast virtual memory that will allow things like textures and geometry to stream on the fly, as you move along in an open world. There will no longer be texture pop up, that even top end PCs display. Games designed to use that NVME drive will have a clear advantage over just using GPU memory and the CPU will get a massive performance boost because of it.

Moore's Law is Dead has some interesting facts and tidbits from developers that are working on both consoles. He also talks about how the numbers game isn't really telling of the consoles' power.

I really can't think of any of the major 3rd party games looking or running better on the PS3 to their 360 version.
    I already gave you examples. Once the PS3 became the lead development platform, the PS3 games were either on-par, or better on the console, with a few exceptions. Dark Siders is another title that is marginally better on the console.

I wouldn't class Death Stranding as old.
    Sony is only bringing over 2 titles. One being the fairly old Horizon Zero Dawn. Still, Id like to play it @1440p/144Hz.
    Last edited by gamevet; 03-24-2020 at 01:28 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I posted that vid on t he last page but yeah

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Sorry. I'd give you rep, but apparently I need to rep someone else before I can.

He clearly shows that the NVME drive provides a major advantage for the PS5, beyond graphics Teraflops.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

I'd say I want the flops thing to die for fans on forums to latch onto but it will just be something else. Bits to polygons per second to the resolution to flops. Always some arbitrary spec or something made up to latch onto. I do like the SSD as getting rid of pop in would be amazing. 7th gen was esp bad for any game using Unreal 3 which was a majority of western games. Textures not loading in was a big issue. Unreal 4 not really seen this except with some really low budget titles. Still in modern games not full-on textures of the entire map popping in but still see bushes or trees and such pop in. Still see minor warping from time to time.

New Xbox...I mean Dreamcast..erm I mean PS5 controller

Death Bringer Raging in the Streets Black_Tiger's Avatar

Sony's on track to potentially have a fully functional controller in time for the Playstation's 35th anniversary.
    Quote Originally Posted by year2kill06
    everyone knows nintendo is far way cooler than sega just face it nintendo has more better games and originals

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Besides the PS3 ports that had trouble were less to do about power but the CPU and I will guess how PS3 split up its memory.

Take this vid however you want

I am hoping PS5 eliminated pop in. CUlling can be more aggressive and less obvious

This is from HZD on PS4.

Something like BOTW is always loaded in just further areas are in low poly mode but the full world is always there. Looks like HZD doesn't. So how will this affect framerate?
    You do realize that culling is happening because of performance (transforms, rendering, etc) and not directly related to streaming???

Also, who is the douche in the video?

Outrunner

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post
    Sony's on track to potentially have a fully functional controller in time for the Playstation's 35th anniversary.

And apparently some fanboys will be on track to potentially be over their general butthurt in time for the Sega Saturn's 35th anniversary too!

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

I'm really struggling to be interested in a new console just for higher specs and a solid state drive.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

Quote Originally Posted by stu View Post
    And apparently some fanboys will be on track to potentially be over their general butthurt in time for the Sega Saturn's 35th anniversary too!

Kinda related but I only just learned this was a thing. PS2 controller.

Raging in the Streets bultje112's Avatar

I'm looking for an objective point of view here, which is impossible to get on youtube it seems.

Which is going to be more powerful? I want the most powerful at launch for the multiplatforms and it seems the X is more powerful? A friend said it was pretty close. I will get both eventually though, but I also really like the xbox full backwards compatability.

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post
    I'm looking for an objective point of view here, which is impossible to get on youtube it seems.

Which is going to be more powerful? I want the most powerful at launch for the multiplatforms and it seems the X is more powerful? A friend said it was pretty close. I will get both eventually though, but I also really like the xbox full backwards compatability.
    Forums will say Series X. Developers are back and forth. A Crytek dev said PS5 was easier and "better" then later deleted his comments. PS5's SSD seems to be a big deal. XSX on paper has the larger numbers. Not sure we will really know til we see ports on both systems and which run better. Both seem to be very easy to work with. People online like to throw flops numbers side by side without really understanding their context. I was about to say we will know more by E3 but ehem but summer we will prob see games running on both. Without seeing any games running on these,still up for debate.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Tiger View Post

That's highly optimistic ..
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert Virtua Hunter's Avatar

PS5 controller looks really bad.

Grandmaster's Reckoning ESWAT Veteran Knuckle Duster's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bultje112 View Post

Direct X being what it is, the Series X having more resources available to it, Sony's more theoretical limits on paper going back and forth with some throttling, the general practicality that comes from PC gaming's move to faster and larger memory pools compared to I/O from SSDs; I would say the Xbox Series X is going to tear Sony a new asshole on raw performance and be easier to optimize games on. Sony will likely get refined 1st party games that juggle their way through whatever custom and over-engineered monstrosity they build, and have a small army of developers on payroll praising it as being ahead of it's time.

When it's leading up to a console launch, Sony is always good for bullshots and bullshit. People will eat it up anyway.

I'm still laughing every time I see a Sony fanboy shitting on the Xbox controller for sticking with AA batteries, as if it's somehow inferior to have the choice of cheap, serviceable, universally standard batteries or charging kits that allow function like Sony's internal ones.

No matter how much storage I/O speed hype gets built up, 9 times out of 10 it will depend on new efficiency and unconventional ways of doing things that developers need to focus on. Sony will promise all these hypothetical gains and realize none of it from 3rd parties who are focused on current PC, One X, PS4 Pro, and even Lockhart scalability.
    Last edited by Knuckle Duster; 04-08-2020 at 10:42 AM.

Thread Information