Quantcast

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 5 (Official Thread)

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Ps2 PlayStation 5 (Official Thread)

Take notes kids. There will be a pop quiz on Monday!

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Oh Dear, is that it?
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

Outrunner

And only 100 of the top ps4 games will be BC so far. No PS1/2/3 game compat announced. A bit crap really. Not entirely surprised. And still no pics of the final system. LOL

http://www.pushsquare.com/news/2020/...been_confirmed
    Last edited by stu; 03-18-2020 at 05:03 PM.

The impression I got is that what they meant is that they only tested those games to confirm that they work, not that they're actively locking out the rest. Also in particular this was regarding boost mode (i.e. running PS4 games in PS5 mode). The phrasing is kinda awkward I guess and I should probably rechecků

PS1/PS2/PS3 compatibility would require emulation so I'm not surprised they don't say anything about it (and I wouldn't be surprised if they're planning to drop the disc drive in a revision 2-3 years later, which would mean the only way to get those games is to purchase them again, and we know how much of a drama that causes every time Sony does it).

EDIT: it's probably more obvious here
    https://www.siliconera.com/playstati...mes-at-launch/

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Sony now claims most PS4 games will work on PS5. https://www.gematsu.com/2020/03/over...nment-confirms

Oh Dear what a mess
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Master of Shinobi

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post
    Sony now claims most old PC games work on a newer PC
    What a scoop!

Sony confirms 30-year-old house outlets backwards compatible with PS5 power plug!

Master of Shinobi Dirt Ball Gamer's Avatar

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

I don't know who that guy is... but I kept waiting for some SNL skit shit to happen. So surreal haha

Side note:
    Looks like the initial release of the PS5 is going to be less powerful than the xbox offering (by some 20-30% in the GPU area?). Sony's trying to downplay the difference by saying it's minimal beca, but other analysts says it's larger than what sony's trying to project. Of course, everything will be solved with mid generation 'pro' update haha. That being said, I'll probably get the PS5 anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    I don't know who that guy is... but I kept waiting for some SNL skit shit to happen. So surreal haha

Side note:
    Looks like the initial release of the PS5 is going to be less powerful than the xbox offering (by some 20-30% in the GPU area?). Sony's trying to downplay the difference by saying it's minimal beca, but other analysts says it's larger than what sony's trying to project. Of course, everything will be solved with mid generation 'pro' update haha. That being said, I'll probably get the PS5 anyway.
    You don't know who Mark Cerny is? He did Marble Madness and worked on Sonic 2. Helped establish Sega Technical Insitute. Designed the PS4.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post

Side note:
    TFlops is just a number. Digital Foundry states that the difference won't be that dramatic, because of the way the hardware works.

A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    TFlops is just a number. Digital Foundry states that the difference won't be that dramatic, because of the way the hardware works.

And yet it's more than just a number. It's not like these two setups are vastly different. They're so closely related, that this 'number' actually holds some value. The PS5 also throttles (however sony wants to spin it); the xbox does not. Not only is the performance higher on the xbox, but it's fixed factor regardless of heat or power. I had an article on it that explained it in better, but basically the GPU in the PS5 is based on core that actually doesn't scale linearly like the Sony rep claims. It actually curves quite a bit. So the 2.2ghz, which isn't going to be consistent with throttling, it's not going to be a simple linear increase to overcome less compute units. And bringing that back to closely related architectures, the real world number for PS5 is 9Tflops vs 12Tflops. It's not all about Tflops, but xbox being 33% faster on the same related arch, plus with raytracing being involved that generation, I'd say it's more than just a number.

Digital foundry is great. They're entertaining and provided a nice 'outside' look and analysis.. but they aren't devs writing game engines for these two machines. I don't care that the PS5 is slower, because the audio part is what has me really hype. Plus, they will release a faster version mid generation.
    Last edited by turboxray; 03-22-2020 at 04:44 AM.

Here is a thread of other devs reacting to PS5. Spoiler they like it. Mainly the SSD
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/dev...dition.175980/

Quote Originally Posted by Leynos View Post

Here is a thread of other devs reacting to PS5. Spoiler they like it. Mainly the SSD
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/dev...dition.175980/
    Got to love the SONY Defence Force. I see to remember SONY and the likes of Naughty Dog making a big deal of how the PS3 could handle double the Terraflops on the 360

Panzer Dragoon Zwei is

Thread Information