Quantcast

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: PlayStation 5 (Official Thread)

I DON'T LIKE POKEMON Hero of Algol j_factor's Avatar

How much will the difference in power actually matter? Aren't most PS4/Xbone games fairly close on both platforms? With the exception of resolution, but I assume that will be less of an issue next time around.

You just can't handle my jawusumness responces.

End of line.. Hero of Algol gamevet's Avatar

The original Xbone couldn't run most games at 1080p. They were often running at weird numbers like 960p. The Xbox One X does run a legit 4k, most of the time, but it's usually lowering texture quality and texture draw distance to make that happen, while the PS4 Pro is using its checker board trick to make it look like it is displaying 4k.

I don't have a 4K display in my livingroom, so I don't have a dire need for a 4K ready console. It would be nice to be able to play 1080p games at a rock solid 60fps though. My PC in my office/man cave is hooked up to a 1440p display; I chose fps over resolution, because nothing could run 4K@ 144Hz back 2 years ago.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

Hedgehog-in-Training Hedgehog-in-TrainingWildside Expert

Quote Originally Posted by gamevet View Post
    I don't have a 4K display in my livingroom, so I don't have a dire need for a 4K ready console.
    You don't need 4k output to experience the benefit of 4k TV. The 1080p to 4k scalers in most TV are really nice (they aren't fuzzy or blurry). I could never go back to a 1080p, even for a 1080p signal.
    Last edited by turboxray; 04-08-2020 at 09:11 PM.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

Just care about the games. Specs on a sheet mean little to me. It's great to see that so far (tho it could change) no one has royally fucked up yet. It would be nice to go into gen with all 3 on a good foot. Sony, MS, and Nintendo all stumbled badly at some point in the last 15 years of console launches. Hoping this gen avoids that. Hopefully, we can avoid some meme-like $599 US Dollars or I like French Food or TV TV TV SPORTS SPORTS.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Quote Originally Posted by turboxray View Post
    You don't need 4k output to experience the benefit of 4k TV. The 1080p to 4k scalers in most TV are really nice (they aren't fuzzy or blurry). I could never go back to a 1080p, even for a 1080p signal.
    What about input lag with gaming?

MS is bragging about 120fps 4K gaming with their next Xbox, yet 99% of large display 4K owners don't have a display capable of that.

Linus does a nice job of explaining why you don't need a 4K display for PC gaming, because it is extremely cost prohibitive.

Last edited by gamevet; 04-09-2020 at 12:18 AM.
    A Black Falcon: no, computer games and video games are NOT the same thing. Video games are on consoles, computer games are on PC. The two kinds of games are different, and have significantly different design styles, distribution methods, and game genre selections. Computer gaming and console (video) gaming are NOT the same thing."

What about input lag with gaming?

MS is bragging about 120fps 4K gaming with their next Xbox, yet 99% of large display 4K owners don't have a display capable of that.

Linus does a nice job of explaining why you don't need a 4K display for PC gaming, because it is extremely cost prohibitive.

2018, but he still does a nice job explaining the necessity for competitive playing (FPS, multiplayer). And he's totally right.. if that's your thing.

But 1080p.. ugh. I mean if ignorance it bliss. I have incredible eye sight, so it matters to me. For the record, I run 65" 4K HDR with two 50" 4K HDR on either side (they're set vertically though). The middle 65" is for PC, PC gaming, console gaming, and other stuffs. I'd love more than 60hz, but I also don't play FPS games as much anymore. But if I'm at a solid 60hz, I'm good happy.

But like I said, native 1080p screens look worse than 4k or 1440p. The up-scaling is just looks incredible on consoles/TVs nowadays (2019-2020 model TVs). It's not just simple bi-linear interpolation upscaling anymore. I also shopped for lag, and I'm completely happy with this 65" low latency.

You'd be amazed at how much of a difference everything PC gaming is at 144Hz. I was playing Forza Horizon 4 on my living room PC on the 1080p 60Hz display, and I was missing subtle touches in the way I controlled my car, resulting in bad losses. I moved over to my 1440p/144hz monitor on my main gaming rig, and had a massive improvement in my racing results. 60Hz feels so laggy in comparison.

You'd be amazed at how much of a difference everything PC gaming is at 144Hz. I was playing Forza Horizon 4 on my living room PC on the 1080p 60Hz display, and I was missing subtle touches in the way I controlled my car, resulting in bad losses. I moved over to my 1440p/144hz monitor on my main gaming rig, and had a massive improvement in my racing results. 60Hz feels so laggy in comparison.
    Yeah that sounds more like your living room 1080p display has input lag. 60hz shouldn't be anything for lag unless you're playing twich FPS (and you play a lot of FPS).

But 1080p.. ugh. I mean if ignorance it bliss. I have incredible eye sight, so it matters to me. For the record, I run 65" 4K HDR with two 50" 4K HDR on either side (they're set vertically though). The middle 65" is for PC, PC gaming, console gaming, and other stuffs. I'd love more than 60hz, but I also don't play FPS games as much anymore. But if I'm at a solid 60hz, I'm good happy.

But like I said, native 1080p screens look worse than 4k or 1440p. The up-scaling is just looks incredible on consoles/TVs nowadays (2019-2020 model TVs). It's not just simple bi-linear interpolation upscaling anymore. I also shopped for lag, and I'm completely happy with this 65" low latency.
    Oh you said it . I game on a LG Oled 55 B8 and it's such a marked and massive improvement over 1080p (even if using checker) more so with HDR.

Both next gen consoles are huge jumps , but it's clear Series X will be the console to own for 3rd party console ports , next gen.
    Panzer Dragoon Zwei is
    one of the best 3D shooting games available
    Presented for your pleasure

The original Xbone couldn't run most games at 1080p. They were often running at weird numbers like 960p. The Xbox One X does run a legit 4k, most of the time, but it's usually lowering texture quality and texture draw distance to make that happen, while the PS4 Pro is using its checker board trick to make it look like it is displaying 4k.

I don't have a 4K display in my livingroom, so I don't have a dire need for a 4K ready console. It would be nice to be able to play 1080p games at a rock solid 60fps though. My PC in my office/man cave is hooked up to a 1440p display; I chose fps over resolution, because nothing could run 4K@ 144Hz back 2 years ago.
    Yeah but I assume the PS5 will at least somewhat exceed the PS4 Pro. So if there's a similar dynamic (with Sony and MS switched) with the PS5 having generally lower resolutions, it will be less of an issue with both systems consistently exceeding 1080p. I don't see myself caring if one system upscales to 4k from a native 1620p while the other upscales to 4k from a mere 1440p.

Yeah that sounds more like your living room 1080p display has input lag. 60hz shouldn't be anything for lag unless you're playing twich FPS (and you play a lot of FPS).
    No, that monitor has a gaming mode. It probably has to do more with the 1% and .1% lows. Also, my PC monitor has G-Sync and even with that, there’s a very noticeable difference in how everything feels once you get past 80fps.

The main reason why I would consider getting 4K, is not for the pixel density, but the newer screen technology and HDR.
    Last edited by gamevet; 04-09-2020 at 09:38 AM.

The Future Is Yesterday Hedgehog-in-TrainingRaging in the Streets Leynos's Avatar

PS5 is the perfect console with this controller for SEGA to bring back Seaman. We almost got one for 3DS. I have no doubt other games will use it as well for a mechanic. There was that PS2 game controlled by voice but had issues. Binary Domain 2 with better voice recognition would work on this. Horror games could have a field day.

Life!? ... What console is that on?

[PSN] Segata-S //[Switch] FC-SW 3892 5228 2895 //[XBL]Dogi99

Good riddance to what has been my least favorite controller design of any modern day game console. The fact that this looks a lot like XB1 is a good thing, my only hope is that the grip isn't overly textured like Xbox. For whatever reason, that's a really uncomfortable sensation on my fingers.

Good riddance? They barely changed it.

Barely changed?

Granted the PS4 saw a small evolution in the favor of accommodating human hands, much to the chagrin of the grey aliens. Button placement is roughly the same still, but ergonomically that has got to feel so much better than those little bony knob grips they've been in love with since '94, and finally recessing the protruding analog sticks eniterely out of the space where your fingers will be. Seems like a significant change.

Thread Information